Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted

There was a M4.9 earthquake in the early hours and a 4.3 in the last hour, both in Bardarbunga. The second one may be upgraded later.

Karyo

Posted

This is very much happening on a 24hr cycle, similar times to yesterday.

I expect this is related to tidal forces on the magma which, if correct, infers repeated flexing and relaxing at that point.

Posted

timestamp="1409813888"]This is very much happening on a 24hr cycle, similar times to yesterday.

I expect this is related to tidal forces on the magma which, if correct, infers repeated flexing and relaxing at that point.

Posted

This is very much happening on a 24hr cycle, similar times to yesterday.

I was wondering what effect tidal forces would have. They are at one (of the 2) weaker times of the month at the moment, building up again into next week.

I suppose magma is liquid and is affected by the tides, but much less than water

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I was wondering what effect tidal forces would have. They are at one (of the 2) weaker times of the month at the moment, building up again into next week.

I suppose magma is liquid and is affected by the tides, but much less than water

Only size matters. Tides are a differential effect between bodies and the tidal effect on the magma below Bardarbunga is as insignificant as it is on you or me (perhaps something like Lake Windermere is a better analogy). The tidal effect over the oceans is significant because the oceans are enormous. There is a tidal effect on the Earth's surface too which rises and falls a few centimetres every day.

Posted

Only size matters. Tides are a differential effect between bodies and the tidal effect on the magma below Bardarbunga is as insignificant as it is on you or me (perhaps something like Lake Windermere is a better analogy). The tidal effect over the oceans is significant because the oceans are enormous. There is a tidal effect on the Earth's surface too which rises and falls a few centimetres every day.

Is it possible that the glacier may also play a role in tidal forcing? 

For that matter would the day time heating have an effect? I.e. there will be an influx of melt water moving down through the glacier and into any fault systems on a 24hr cycle. I'm not saying that it's directly causing the large EQ's as the depth of these is to great but there is effectively a top up of lubricant into surface faults from the glacier on a daily basis.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Is it possible that the glacier may also play a role in tidal forcing? 

For that matter would the day time heating have an effect? I.e. there will be an influx of melt water moving down through the glacier and into any fault systems on a 24hr cycle. I'm not saying that it's directly causing the large EQ's as the depth of these is to great but there is effectively a top up of lubricant into surface faults from the glacier on a daily basis.

Still not massive enough. And one might expect there to be 2 activity peaks a day if there were any correlation.  

The daytime heating effect I don't know. We'll just to have to keep watching I suppose. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

There has just been a mag 5+ can't tell where yet, possibly Bada.   post-4726-0-82669400-1409824792_thumb.jp DYN is not that big though so it may be away from Bada, we will see.

Eeek it was somewhere near Katla and EJ by the looks of things... Or even Hekla, shock...

There were two EQ's both Mag 5 plus, looking more like Katla now to me, but we will have to wait for the experts to check, the auto resolutions show the quakes but are none committal regarding mag position or depth...

The Godabunga equipment stopped working during the EQ.... That says it could be big at Katla or EJ...post-4726-0-11005400-1409826299_thumb.jppost-4726-0-76669100-1409826313_thumb.jp I can not access the plots on the map yet it is too busy... post-4726-0-55760500-1409826587_thumb.jppost-4726-0-10749900-1409826687_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Just reading quickly, the tidal effect on the great lakes in the USA is in the order of ~5cm. I guess I was thinking if the magma was connected to a much larger body, directly to that below the mantle for example. Even so, it is unlikely to be linked to as large a body as the lakes.

I did find this just now however. Not sure if it's been linked previously. Interesting read about the potential source of the earthquakes but gives no indication of a possible eruption trigger.

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~ekstrom/Projects/EQS/Iceland/

• Like 1

Posted

Now we have a 5+ possible at the Bada area....Things are hotting up I think.  post-4726-0-00434300-1409827179_thumb.jp   post-4726-0-78930300-1409827326_thumb.jp

Katla still developing no manual check results as yet...post-4726-0-82264700-1409827543_thumb.jp 

Still no manual review as of 12;45 UK time...post-4726-0-04068700-1409831221_thumb.jp

Helicopter landing yesterday  post-4726-0-68396000-1409831494_thumb.jp  http://www.reykjavikhelicopters.com/volcano-iceland/

Bada 3d today for those that can not open this...post-4726-0-81038600-1409831718_thumb.jp  http://baering.github.io/

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Nice little diagram in the link that Filski provided  about the ring faults.

post-2809-0-79739000-1409826745_thumb.gi

The problem is that I think to the north of the volcano the ring faults above and below the magma chamber are outward while to the south they are inward. The reason I suggest this is that you would expect deeper earthquakes to be outside the caldera area if they were outward ring faults below the magma chamber. I see very few deep earthquakes outside the caldera area to the south. I think the cork in the bottom below the magma chamber is more likely to swivel slightly from north to south possibly causing new cracks in that cork letting magma through. It is off course guess work and there may be other reasons for this.

The other thing that intrigues me is the 1km wide pit crater along the fissure which many are interpeting as rifting. I am not so sure and can think of some other possible mechanisms for the cratering.

post-2809-0-80903600-1409827360_thumb.jppost-2809-0-85887300-1409827369_thumb.jp

So this might be rifting but it could be something else and potentially have an impact on lava flow towards the eruption site.

The latest GPS is interesting as well.

post-2809-0-46279400-1409827445_thumb.pn

It is slightly different to the one I posted yesterday , in that SAUD seems to be showing some sligth fissure opening further north , VONC is pointing in the opposite direction, GFUM is pointing more northwards, SKRO is also pointing in a different direction to the one I expected. This points to either compression or decompression at Bárðarbunga today.

The tremor chart for ada seems to show magma movement (blue lines), along with the eruption (red lines).

post-2809-0-74765400-1409828191_thumb.gi

The tremor charts from DYNC and VONC show reduced lava movement today.

post-2809-0-83306900-1409828272_thumb.gipost-2809-0-59290700-1409828283_thumb.gi

I am not quite sure what to make of that.

Lastly some analysis on Bárðarbunga earthquakes today.

Thursday 08:06:54 Depth    5.0 km    Size 2.2  4.8 km NW of Bárðarbunga
Thursday 07:40:25 Depth    2.1 km    Size 1.6  7.3 km ENE of Bárðarbunga
Thursday 06:18:02 Depth    9.0 km    Size 4.3  6.5 km NE of Bárðarbunga
Thursday 06:17:38 Depth    7.3 km    Size 1.6  7.7 km ENE of Bárðarbunga
Thursday 04:54:10 Depth    7.1 km    Size 2.1  5.4 km NNE of Bárðarbunga
Thursday 04:21:45 Depth    14.8 km    Size 0.6  6.7 km SE of Bárðarbunga
Thursday 03:47:40 Depth    8.8 km    Size 1.8  7.3 km NE of Bárðarbunga
Thursday 03:44:47 Depth    8.0 km    Size 4.8  4.7 km NNE of Bárðarbunga
Thursday 02:11:50 Depth    5.3 km    Size 2.2  4.7 km NE of Bárðarbunga
Thursday 02:10:05 Depth    1.3 km    Size 1.1  2.6 km NNW of Bárðarbunga
Thursday 01:56:04 Depth    6.2 km    Size 1.4  4.7 km N of Bárðarbunga
Thursday 01:08:02 Depth    6.4 km    Size 1.2  4.5 km NW of Bárðarbunga

Analysis of these shows that the two largest earthquakes are at 9km and 8km deep possibly below the magma chamber or at least near the bottom. The two shallowest earthquakes are nearest the center of the volcano, so not exactly where I would expect the ring faults to be (near the crater edge). The two earthquakes closest together are at 06:17 and 06:18 and with the second possibly being triggered by the first, both are quite deep 7.3km down to 9km and the second is closer to the center of the volcano than the first.   I expect somebody will go through and do some proper analysis and you cannot tell much from such a short period, but it seems interesting to me.

As allways my posts contain amateur conjectures and observations so dont read to much into them, but I hope it prompts others to think a little or explore more fully.

Edited by BrickFielder
  • Like 4

Posted

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/#view=table

God which is katla

Mag 3 quake and very shallow

Maybe nowt but this would have raised interest normally

Hopefully this does not add more confusion to this

Posted

Thursday 08:06:54 Depth    5.0 km    Size 2.2  4.8 km NW of Bárðarbunga

Thursday 07:40:25 Depth    2.1 km    Size 1.6  7.3 km ENE of Bárðarbunga

Thursday 06:18:02 Depth    9.0 km    Size 4.3  6.5 km NE of Bárðarbunga

Thursday 06:17:38 Depth    7.3 km    Size 1.6  7.7 km ENE of Bárðarbunga

Thursday 04:54:10 Depth    7.1 km    Size 2.1  5.4 km NNE of Bárðarbunga

Thursday 04:21:45 Depth    14.8 km    Size 0.6  6.7 km SE of Bárðarbunga

Thursday 03:47:40 Depth    8.8 km    Size 1.8  7.3 km NE of Bárðarbunga

Thursday 03:44:47 Depth    8.0 km    Size 4.8  4.7 km NNE of Bárðarbunga

Thursday 02:11:50 Depth    5.3 km    Size 2.2  4.7 km NE of Bárðarbunga

Thursday 02:10:05 Depth    1.3 km    Size 1.1  2.6 km NNW of Bárðarbunga

Thursday 01:56:04 Depth    6.2 km    Size 1.4  4.7 km N of Bárðarbunga

Thursday 01:08:02 Depth    6.4 km    Size 1.2  4.5 km NW of Bárðarbunga

Analysis of these shows that the two largest earthquakes are at 9km and 8km deep possibly below the magma chamber or at least near the bottom. The two shallowest earthquakes are nearest the center of the volcano, so not exactly where I would expect the ring faults to be (near the crater edge). The two earthquakes closest together are at 06:17 and 06:18 and with the second possibly being triggered by the first, both are quite deep 7.3km down to 9km and the second is closer to the center of the volcano than the first.   I expect somebody will go through and do some proper analysis and you cannot tell much from such a short period, but it seems interesting to me.

As allways my posts contain amateur conjectures and observations so dont read to much into them, but I hope it prompts others to think a little or explore more fully.

Almost complete ring now(of the larger EQ's), whether this is significant remains to be seen...post-4726-0-39265200-1409832384_thumb.jppost-4726-0-96777500-1409832394_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Some more links to youtube

Mila are now streaming both cameras

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQszF2Bq2PE

YAYNews is streaming cameras with additional information seems to be a bit better IMHO than the US West Coast one which seems to be a guy on an ego trip

• Like 1

Posted

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/#view=table

God which is katla

Mag 3 quake and very shallow

Maybe nowt but this would have raised interest normally

Hopefully this does not add more confusion to this

Put it this way it has raised eyebrows in Iceland...Still only auto checked as of 13;11 UK time. Hence the 90% rather than the 99%

My guess is that they will stay checking Bada unless more happens in the Katla area, the Katla quakes may not be manually reviewed until later in the afternoon, if at all, all depends on what happens next.

Katla does do this sort of thing from time to time anyhow so that is why they have not rushed to check it IMO...

Still lots to check in the Bada area  :unknw: post-4726-0-72925700-1409833192_thumb.jp Very busy day for IMO :hi:

Another mag 4 ish at Bada just.

Where would we be without dogs, they know better than us when to run, very sensible move taking a Collie they are the best of the lot regarding senses  post-4726-0-71633300-1409834564_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

The three above on the list might be interesting.

Over at Bada this uptic could have been lava movement  post-4726-0-70539000-1409835242_thumb.jp only time will tell.

I hope he picks up after that...post-4726-0-11788200-1409835387_thumb.jp :pardon: I wonder where the nearest dog bin is....

https://twitter.com/EIlyinskaya?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fvolcanocafe.wordpress.com%2F2014%2F09%2F03%2Fbardarbunga-update-20140903%2F&tw_i=507483661193981952&tw_p=tweetembed   Another Twitter that is worth keeping an eye on.

Another https://twitter.com/MikeBurton_Volc

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

Up to 130 meter high lava fountains

Robust activity has been seen in the Holuhraun lava eruption this morning, says volcanologist Armann Hoskuldsson who is monitoring the event. "The highest lava fountains rise up to 130 meters from the craters," he says. The new lava field is now estimated to be 11 - 12 square kilometers in size.

http://www.ruv.is/frett/up-to-130-meter-high-lava-fountains

More in link above

• Like 1

Posted

Ref - the katla EQ's. All the shallow ones today are now 99% confirmed.  Someone on volcano café did suggest they are likely to ice quakes.  I guess we will have to wait and see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Up to 130 meter high lava fountains

Robust activity has been seen in the Holuhraun lava eruption this morning, says volcanologist Armann Hoskuldsson who is monitoring the event. "The highest lava fountains rise up to 130 meters from the craters," he says. The new lava field is now estimated to be 11 - 12 square kilometers in size.

http://www.ruv.is/frett/up-to-130-meter-high-lava-fountains

More in link above

Great pic's :good:

post-11006-0-54615500-1409841257_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Looks like the flow to into the dike north east of askja is losing energy. I suspect the flow of magma is now being diverted to the fissure eruption to the south. As long as there isn't a surge of magma out of the volcano Baroarbunga the caldera will probably slip to a new level of equilibrium. 

• Like 1

Posted

Quote IMO  ;-

Updated information 4th September 2014 19:00 - from geoscientist on duty

Activity in Bárðabunga and on Flæðyour north of Dyngjujökull is continuous with similar intensity as yesterday.

The tremor signal observed yesterday decreased substantially last night. Around six this morning, a tremor increase was observed again; at much lower level, though, than yesterday. This signal rapidly decreased and at noon it had mostly disappeared. Seismicity continues at similar rates as yesterday including four events bigger than magnitude 4 in Bárðarbunga region.

GPS observations still suggest increase in volume in the dike although at slower rates, indicating that more magma is being intruded into the dike than erupted to the surface. 

The eruption continues at similar intensity. Eyewitness reports suggested that this morning, the lava covered between 10 and 11 square km and during the day the area has increased substantially. The intensity of the eruption this evening is reported to be somewhat lower than last night.

The 10-11Km lava is a shocker. No tremor =free flow.

Lots of SO2 ?  Looks like it post-4726-0-35883000-1409861657_thumb.jp

Even though the facts point to it not effecting the winter weather yet. I bet it is a cold and long winter for us this year, my reasoning is that I think the Northern Hemisphere is more sensitive to Iceland volcanoes and their SO2 than is written officially.
I must point out that I totally speculate here, its a feeling I have and nothing else. I think this eruption has already done the damage.

Sorry about the small letters next time I post I hope they will go away :nonono:

There has been an explosion at sea, 

2014-09-04 14:09:28 -17.119 66.376 1.9 0.1 ex

Today at 14;09 Iceland time I have no idea if this is anything connected to events elsewhere in Iceland but is has occurred after an earlier EQ in the same area see pic 1.

It may have been looked at officially I don't know, sometimes in hectic times one misses things.post-4726-0-10297100-1409862907_thumb.jppost-4726-0-18440300-1409862926_thumb.jp

post-4726-0-53735300-1409862938_thumb.jpThe Islands are volcanic as is the whole of Iceland in varying degrees.  post-4726-0-68961400-1409864761_thumb.jp Pic from http://kvennabladid.is/2014/03/31/tjornes-og-manareyjar/ Lovely pictures of the Island on that site.

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 2