Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted

So much more to this eruption I feel, I am sure we are in for more treats too.

I have no knowledge in this area but I have a feeling you are right. I note that in the press today that the National Grid are acting to secure additional power supplies for this winter. Whilst this might be pure coincidence I do wonder if this situation has formed part of the reasoning / decision making process which will be clearly going on in the background.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I have no knowledge in this area but I have a feeling you are right. I note that in the press today that the National Grid are acting to secure additional power supplies for this winter. Whilst this might be pure coincidence I do wonder if this situation has formed part of the reasoning / decision making process which will be clearly going on in the background.

The SO2 could make it a tad colder, but not enough about at the moment, if over a period of time it built up, well perhaps it could give us a bit of a chilly one, I must admit I don't know enough about the SO2 subject to comment further. post-4726-0-06438800-1409692044_thumb.jp I know one thing it is harder to shift from the stratosphere when erupted nearer the poles than the equator.

Bada is still doing the caldera rumble I think  post-4726-0-61305700-1409692383_thumb.jp look at DYN 

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

HI Rusty, I was thinking more about if we had something bigger, maybe an ash cloud like in the early 80's after Mount St Helens went up. :)

SO2 is worse than ash on the weather I think. It effects the weather for a long time as it stays up there, ash on the other hand falls out of the sky quite quickly in comparative terms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

It might be a tad quiet on here, but not on bara cam!.... Still going strong :)

post-11006-0-15805500-1409692500_thumb.j  post-11006-0-76508000-1409692690_thumb.j

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted

Those fountains were estimated at 200m high today...post-4726-0-23320300-1409693835_thumb.jp Nice...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Re: climate effects. Current events are an order of magnitude or 2 below Laki, but that coincided with an anomalously hot summer and a severe winter in Europe.

I'd be more concerned with the sulphuric acid destroying my lungs than the weather in such circumstances, to be honest.

Posted

Re: climate effects. Current events are an order of magnitude or 2 below Laki, but that coincided with an anomalously hot summer and a severe winter in Europe.

I'd be more concerned with the sulphuric acid destroying my lungs than the weather in such circumstances, to be honest.

Yes I don't think we need to worry too much at the moment, it would take a fissure a good while to build up to an annoying level. post-4726-0-66761100-1409695521_thumb.jp Dont fancy the acid on the lungs bit :bad:

Uprated quake 

20:42:18 64,678 -17,459 4,5 km 3,8 99,0 5,3 km NA af Bárðarbungu

Matched the chart on post 602 very well.   post-4726-0-19785900-1409695676_thumb.jp  post-4726-0-46822800-1409695806_thumb.jp

Jón Frímann â€¢ 4 hours ago posted 23;20

I did read the reports on the explosion. Where and why they happened is unknown as of know. That detail might be come clearer in the next few hours. It also seems that current eruption fissure is closing up and magma in the crust might be (most likely in my view) looking for a new way out.

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

Any ideas on how the lava flow will affect the lowland delta? could we be seeing the start of a natural 'dam' effect as it encroaches towards the river, as seen in this shot.

post-8763-0-06010100-1409696977_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted

Apart from the fireworks, vedur.is has published a full preview of a paper on:

Volcanic system: Bárðarbunga system

Alternative name: Veiðivötn system
Compiled by:
Gudrún Larsen and Magnús T. Gudmundsson
Institute of Earth Sciences, University of Iceland

note and summary:

Note to readers: The text on Bárðarbunga is a pre-publication extract from the Catalogue of Icelandic 
Volcanoes. The full Catalogue will be made publically available in the coming months. The Catalogue of 
Icelandic Volcanoes is a collaboration of Icelandic Meteorological Office, Institute of Earth Sciences University 
of Iceland, and Iceland Civil Protection. The Catalogue is funded by International Civil Aviation Authority and 
the European Community’s Seventh Framework Programme under Grant Agreement No. 308377 (Project 
FUTUREVOLC). 
Date of publication: 25 August 2014
Summary: The Bárðarbunga volcanic system has been highly active in the Holocene with at least 26 eruptions in 
the last 11 centuries. The last eruption took place in 1910 CE. The Bárðarbunga system lies on the Eastern 
Volcanic Zone and is about 190 km long and up to 25 km wide, consisting of a central volcano rising to 2009 m 
a.s.l. and a fissure swarm partly covered by the Vatnajökull ice cap. The central volcano has an 80 km2
ice-filled caldera. The characteristic activity is explosive basaltic eruptions occurring on central volcano flanks or the 
fissure swarm. Known eruptions have mostly been VEI 3-4 but occasionally VEI 5-6 (bulk volume of tephra up 
to 10 km3). The largest eruptions occurred in the early Holocene, effusive basaltic eruptions on the fissure swarm 
with lava volumes ≥20 km3.Eruption frequency during the last 1100 years is 1 eruption per 50 years on average. 
Eruptions on the ice covered part of the system have the potential to cause major floods in several rivers flowing 
southwards and northwards from the Vatnajökull ice cap. 

Posted

Any ideas on how the lava flow will affect the lowland delta? could we be seeing the start of a natural 'dam' effect as it encroaches towards the river, as seen in this shot.

attachicon.gifBwjgO_8CUAAo7vp.jpg large.jpg

Good question. My impression from looking at the map rusty posted (post 572) is that the flood plain may be wide enough to accommodate both the lava field and the streams for the moment and that the streams will reroute round the lava as it expands.  If the eruption is prolonged or there is an outburst from the glacier things may get more interesting. 

Posted

Just eyeballing things, overall quake frequency seems to be dropping off everywhere except Bárðarbunga which continues its pattern of 4+ quakes. Another one just now.

Posted

108km SSE of Akureyri, Iceland

2014-09-03 04:09:56 UTC+01:005.0 km

Larger magnitude and closer to the surface than earlier EQs.

The IMO has upgraded this earthquake to 5.5!

Karyo

Posted

attachicon.gifBwjgO_8CUAAo7vp.jpg large.jpg

Hi snowjoke, someone or volcano café has just posted a map from this link from the Icelandic IoES that gives a very good idea of the lava field in relation to the flood plain and rivers.

http://earthice.hi.is/new_map_advance_lava_2_september_2014_1400

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Hi snowjoke, someone or volcano café has just posted a map from this link from the Icelandic IoES that gives a very good idea of the lava field in relation to the flood plain and rivers.

http://earthice.hi.is/new_map_advance_lava_2_september_2014_1400

Nice. So a little way to go before Hotlips Holuhran fries me a river.

According to wiki...

"Jökulsá á Fjöllum streams over the waterfalls Selfoss, Dettifoss, and Hafragilsfoss, the second of which is the most powerful waterfall in Europe,..."

I'm guessing a Lahar flowing over that would be a spectacular sight.

Posted

Uptick, looks like business as usual till 10:30(Iceland time), then an increase, maybe EQ swarm increase as well as tremor...Lava flow rate increase maybe?  post-4726-0-96860600-1409741805_thumb.jp I wonder has the Mag 5.5 this morning got any connection to this uptick?

White van man...post-4726-0-35486200-1409741950_thumb.jp

LOL Tornado at 12;43 UK time  :hi:  post-4726-0-00416000-1409744725_thumb.jp

Still going on 1300 UK...  post-4726-0-64776200-1409745662_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 2

Posted

Kristín Jónsdóttir, geophysicist at the Icelandic Met Office says that access to the site is restricted because of the risk of explosions. Lava from Holuhraun eruption is flowing towards the nearby glacial river Jökulsá á Fjöllum, Iceland’s second largest river which flows from Vatnajökull.

Kristín says that the lava is already quite close — currently about 6 kilometers from the river — and will probably reach the river eventually. When the lava meets the water, powerful steam explosions can be expected. Such explosions can release dangerous gases.

• Like 1

Posted

just been tweeted

1. Status meeting: Volume of dyke has been increasing since #Holuhraun eruption started. More material is coming in than out #Bardarbunga

Radar images show that a graben (rift valley) is forming from the #Holuhraun eruption site that extends 2 km underneath #Dyngjujökull

• Like 2