Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

Just read another new fissure. Sorry cant post link from my phone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I'm placing this to be under the caldera, please say if this is wrong.  A lot of activity around the caldera this morning, if there is an on-going eruption there and we get a jokulhaup as a result, which direction is it likely to take?  I'm asking as I'm wondering if the current fissure eruption is on the flood plain?  Glacial flood meets fissure eruption - what could go wrong there......

Edit - from this http://en.vedur.is/hydrology/articles/nr/2963 it looks as if the fissure is indeed on the flood plain.

An ex-hurricane, a volcanic eruption and if we have a glacial flood is there anything left that mother nature could throw at Iceland?

I think you are right, the EQ or at least one EQ hit the caldera at the time (Yellow circle) there have been a few at caldera since midnight Iceland time. more fun along the fissure and North and NE of Askja.

post-4726-0-54085000-1409491131_thumb.jp

post-4726-0-04394400-1409491299_thumb.jp

post-4726-0-71496500-1409491311_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks like a build up then...

Sunday

31.08.2014 12:01:45 64.675 -17.415 5.2 km 5.1 99.0 6.6 km NE of Bárðarbunga Sunday

31.08.2014 09:26:29 64.619 -17.436 4.2 km 3.1 99.0 5.0 km ESE of Bárðarbunga Sunday

31.08.2014 05:33:58 64.668 -17.414 3.1 km 3.6 99.0 6.2 km ENE of Bárðarbunga Sunday

31.08.2014 05:30:58 64.664 -17.550 9.7 km 3.6 99.0 2.8 km NNW of Bárðarbunga

Hi Lorenzo,

I noticed that as well when I looked about an hour ago, you beat me to posting it.

Three of those quakes are on the eastern flank of Bunga and are not too deep, wonder whether there's slipage into the magma chamber. The 5.4 yesterday was on the south east side and relatively shallow

That could fit in with John Pike's comment about a flank collapse as there are a group of EQ's all in the same area (see Rustnailer's post above)

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Hi Lorenzo,

I noticed that as well when I looked about an hour ago, you beat me to posting it.

Three of those quakes are on the eastern flank of Bunga and are not too deep, wonder whether there's slipage into the magma chamber.

That could fit in with John Pike's comment about a flank collapse as there are a group of EQ's all in the same area (see Rustnailer's post above)

Here is the data of the latest at the Western caldera flank. and next the Fissure eruption (not all data shown the list is big. Red circles surrounded by yellow = auto checked, time goes by and they get corrected or removed.

The storm is bad enough to put out some data stations I think so the EQ data could be interrupted from here on.....

Lots of shaky stations  file 3  Current weather, note the Bada Mila camera shake LOL Fig 4

post-4726-0-45162400-1409491683_thumb.jp

post-4726-0-20884500-1409492264_thumb.jp

post-4726-0-51961400-1409492556_thumb.jp

post-4726-0-96733800-1409493316_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/2947

Conclusions of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Icelandic Civil Protection:

A lava eruption started in Holuhraun shortly after 04 AM, on the same volcanic fissure, which erupted earlier this week. The fissure is estimated to be 1,5 km long. It was detected on Míla´s web-camera at 05:51 AM. Fewer earthquakes seem to follow the event than in the previous eruption, but more lava is being extruded.

At 07 AM the lava flow was around 1 km wide and 3 km long towards northeast. The thickness was estimated a few meters, the flow about 1000 m3 pr second.

Approximately 500 earthquakes were detected in the area and smaller than before. The strongest earthquake, M3.8 was in the Bárðarbunga caldera. Poor weather conditions prevail in the area, which makes detection of smaller earthquakes difficult.

GPS measurements show continued movements north of Dyngjujökull.

Gas emissions rise to a few hundred meters above the fissure.

Weather conditions make it difficult to follow the progression of the eruption, but scientists are in the area, using every opportunity to acquire information on gas and lava outflow.

Weather conditions do not allow overflight at this time. The opportunity to fly over the area will be assessed later today.

• Like 1

Posted

lava can now  be seen on the cam

Posted

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/2947

Conclusions of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Icelandic Civil Protection:

A lava eruption started in Holuhraun shortly after 04 AM, on the same volcanic fissure, which erupted earlier this week. The fissure is estimated to be 1,5 km long. It was detected on Míla´s web-camera at 05:51 AM. Fewer earthquakes seem to follow the event than in the previous eruption, but more lava is being extruded.

At 07 AM the lava flow was around 1 km wide and 3 km long towards northeast. The thickness was estimated a few meters, the flow about 1000 m3 pr second.

Approximately 500 earthquakes were detected in the area and smaller than before. The strongest earthquake, M3.8 was in the Bárðarbunga caldera. Poor weather conditions prevail in the area, which makes detection of smaller earthquakes difficult.

GPS measurements show continued movements north of Dyngjujökull.

Gas emissions rise to a few hundred meters above the fissure.

Weather conditions make it difficult to follow the progression of the eruption, but scientists are in the area, using every opportunity to acquire information on gas and lava outflow.

Weather conditions do not allow overflight at this time. The opportunity to fly over the area will be assessed later today.

Hi John,

how come they don't mention the big earthquake?

Posted

Hi karyo

Report came in just before quake

As u said

This storm is going to cause a problem recording the quakes until it eases

Fwiw. I feel we could see a high 5 or low 6 quake at bara soon

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/2949

Edited by john pike
  • Like 2

Posted

Hi karyo

Report came in just before quake

As u said

This storm is going to cause a problem recording the quakes until it eases

Fwiw. I feel we could see a high 5 or low 6 quake at bara soon

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/2949

Thanks John, that makes sense.

I can only imagine how much noise a M6 earthquake would cause under the glacier!

The colour of the plume is darker now so it must contain some ash.

• Like 1

Posted

This reminds me of an old western

When they pour gunpowder on the ground and then light it

And eventually it will reach the main point and go bang

If that makes sense

Typical i pad flat

Back later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Hi Guys, 

What a great thread this is, i`ve been watching events in iceland with great interest and there are some great posts on here which put a lot of clarity on the humoungous amount of tweets comming out so thankyou all and everyone  :good:

if Baradabunga were to blow its top , say within the next 24 hours , would an towering ash cloud be able to rise high into the atmoshphere or would it be flattened by the oncoming storm ex- christobal ?. 

come to think about it how secure are the web cams and will the be likely to blow over? 

below current position of christobal

post-18134-0-78621100-1409502385_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms and HEAVY snow

Emsc just said 4.4 quake ( hope I got this right my last post was totally wrong! Sorry!)

Posted

try the youtube link instead

most impressive its been so far I'd say

whats that in front too ?

Thank you Buckster! Definitely more active now compared to a couple of hours ago.

Posted

Emsc just said 4.4 quake ( hope I got this right my last post was totally wrong! Sorry!)

I can see a M3 according to IMO website but they might upgrade it as often happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

It doesn't open for me :angry:

Dosen't always connect, keep on trying F5, cleaning your cache helps .....Anyway, in the last couple of hours of not looking the difference is noticeable, the lava is higher and longer :)

http://www.livefromiceland.is/webcams/bardarbunga-2/

• Like 1

Posted

wow - Lava getting seriously going now !!

its hard to judge scale - obviously the lava is higher than earlier - by some margin

but what scale are we looking at - how high do people reckon that is?

I can't tell from perspective if sort of height of a house high or a lot higher ?

Posted

I've seen reports that the lava bursts are about 100M high (so just over 300 feet). So, much higher than a house.

Posted

seems to be 2 distinct "openings" to the left of the main fissure

one just to the left and one way to the left - I guess the whole lot will join up soon - and these points are the weakest points ?