Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Pooh I missed it but its bloody big now and 2 lines ...

post-4726-0-29947600-1409434824_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

I think one was a car, it was moving at quite a rate off to the right whilst the original light was static. Perhaps the one left there in view is a small eruption.

Posted

Hope several cars.....

Diminishing or just one car??

post-4726-0-84114200-1409434865_thumb.jp

post-4726-0-35687000-1409435031_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

You wouldn't find me driving around there atm, Unless i was evacuating..   For which i would of done well before now  :)

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted

nowv the area is safe from people getting fissured and stormed. No doubt we will miss it just like Grims 2011. Bloody cars :rofl:

Barda 2 overload well ill be.... :girl_devil:

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

This might sound like a silly question.. :cc_confused:

If the magma chamber is no longer full and is emptying in to the dyke, then this would leave an empty space between the mountain and the bottom of the magma chamber, presumably filled with gas and air, so when the low pressures system forecast to hit overnight does would the presumably higher pressure inside the chamber try to adjust to the lesser outer atmospheric presser caused by the low pressure. Similar to our ears popping as we change altitude.

What would the most likely affect be?

Posted

Got a funny feeling that was the guards on foot taking haste away from their guard posts back to a new line. Perhaps two wheels?

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Got a funny feeling that was the guards on foot taking haste away from their guard posts back to a new line.

well funny you should say that, when they announced the scientists would also be leaving we all knew something was going to happen and what happened less than 24 hours later. I can't see that light now, maybe its off camera. oh well see what its like in the morning - assuming its not all covered in clouds.

Posted

This might sound like a silly question.. :cc_confused:

If the magma chamber is no longer full and is emptying in to the dyke, then this would leave an empty space between the mountain and the bottom of the magma chamber, presumably filled with gas and air, so when the low pressures system forecast to hit overnight does would the presumably higher pressure inside the chamber try to adjust to the lesser outer atmospheric presser caused by the low pressure. Similar to our ears popping as we change altitude.

What would the most likely affect be?

I would think that the overall difference in pressure would be negligible compared to the pressure that's already there.  I suppose it could be the "straw that breaks the camel's back" but I doubt it

Posted

I would think that the overall difference in pressure would be negligible compared to the pressure that's already there.  I suppose it could be the "straw that breaks the camel's back" but I doubt it

Thanks.. :good:  thought about it for a couple of days since the low was forecast there, but could not really find anything to prove or disprove what would happen,

thought I'd ask as there are many more knowledgeable people in here than me. 

Posted

Thanks.. :good:  thought about it for a couple of days since the low was forecast there, but could not really find anything to prove or disprove what would happen,

thought I'd ask as there are many more knowledgeable people in here than me. 

That assumes I know what I'm talking about.  What I said was purely guesswork, with a (very ) small amount of knowledge.

I think most of us are learning as we go.  There are several people on here that know much more than me

Posted

I've nothing technical or even remotely sensible to contribute to this thread but I would like to compliment the rest of the contributors for their knowledge, insight and educated gueses on what may happen next. It's been absolutely facinating reading!

• Like 4

Posted

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/oroi/dyn.gif

Up we go again

The storm as norfolk says will probably have no effect on the volcano

The excess rainfall could be an issue though

I am wondering if the magma supply could revert back south if it cannot get through to askja

Just a thought at present

Posted

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/oroi/dyn.gif

Up we go again

The storm as norfolk says will probably have no effect on the volcano

The excess rainfall could be an issue though

I am wondering if the magma supply could revert back south if it cannot get through to askja

Just a thought at present

Aye John, cycling through again.  another quake at the end of this or some magma?

Too late to worry now, the bed is calling

Posted

My time for bed too

I reckon another larger quake at bonga later

How big ?

I feel we are close to seeing something happen

Probably as has been said already

Tomorrow when it wont be seen properly

I cannot acceess any cams now

Anyway nite all

Talk tomorrow

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

the lights on the cams earlier wasn't any kind of eruption or anything to do with any magma it was the IMO driving around placing more sensors around the area.

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

Gisli Olafsson â€@gislio 5m

Scientists from @uni_iceland just released the chemical composition report for #Holuhraun - http://bit.ly/1pfKNDV  - #Bardarbunga

Erik Klemetti â€@eruptionsblog 5m

Petrologic and geochemical data on the basalt erupted near Bardarbunga earlier this week: http://jardvis.hi.is/efnasamsetning_holuhraunsins_nyja_er_komin â€¦ (via @jonfr500

Erik Klemetti â€@eruptionsblog 4m

Long and short: the magma appears to be degassed with surprising high amount of sulfur in the magma (that didn’t get released as SO2).

• Like 1

Posted

now a lot of sulphur in the magma should we see a big eruption could be problematic like LAKI was it also released high amounts of sulphur and caused a lot of deaths.

now there is no say whether it will erupt again or even if the sulphur would be released from the magma but its something to keep in mind and even if we don't see an eruption then theres a good chance that a later eruption would produce a lot of sulphur then.

so if not now it will be something to continue to keep eyes on any unrest or future events.

Edited by Buriedundersnow