Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted

Yes but Krakatoa is much smaller than Bada and it was only water not ice that fell into the chamber.

Bada is the largest volcano of its type on the planet its caldera is 23kms accross and it has erupted more lava than any other volcano on Earth in the last 10,000 years.

The bang would be bigger.

The VE6 was cause by a VE3 or less that emptied the caldera so it collapsed and the sea rushed in, it blew up and ejected enough to total a 6.

So Bárðarbunga could be worse then Krakatoa then?

Guessing that Bárðarbunga is going to go boom sooner then of later how serious do you think this could be?

Worst case scenario???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

So Bárðarbunga could be worse then Krakatoa then?

Guessing that Bárðarbunga is going to go boom sooner then of later how serious do you think this could be?

Worst case scenario???

Worst case it would be bad for Iceland damage like blown out windows and roofs of 250 Km away in their capitol.

EQ Mag8+, its the 23 Km across caldera floor covered by a 500m thick ice cap dropping all at once onto a 1000 degree C chamber, "Tzar Bomb"

Very bad indeed is the worst case. Krakatoa is 1 tenth the size.

More likely another EJ or Grims from 2010 and 2011 in my opinion though, thankfully, the partial collapse option.....

What I think will happen is that the collapse will occur as a series of eruptions over a few years or tens of years, as I said before we are in uncharted territory here.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Or to be more positive it maybe a small quiet eruption. List of Bard's eruptions here http://www.volcano.si.edu/volcano.cfm?vn=373030

Although it can produce large eruptions is also produces a lot of small ones as well.

We don't know what will happen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

All you need to know about Bárðarbunga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A1r%C3%B0arbunga

tell me if i am wrong but has she been stiring since 1996?

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

All you need to know about Bárðarbunga

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A1r%C3%B0arbunga

tell me if i am wrong but she's been stiring since 1996

Yes she has, this is just part of a build up that could last 100's years or could go in an instant. The weather is easier to predict as we see more of it and usually on average survive after it has done its thing, we actually survive to tell the tale.

With volcanoes we don't know that much as they tend to wipe everything out when they go caldera plus ice. Thats why the Vikings found an empty land.....

All the worlds calderas are not the same, some last ages and are massive some don't last long and are small, as science proves its self wrong every few tens of years, (LOL pier reviewed study) the "learned experts" are right about as often as my dog after a few beers in the grand scale of things.

The only people who truly know what will happen are a some farmers and hunters with names that sound like some "Viking " and have not let their instincts become corrupted with too much education, they will have grown up near Bada. Their DNA will survive longer than any of ours, that is all that matters.  :laugh:

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Yes she has, this is just part of a build up that could last 100's years or could go in an instant. The weather is easier to predict as we see more of it and usually on average survive after it has done its thing, we actually survive to tell the tale.

With volcanoes we don't know that much as they tend to wipe everything out when they go caldera plus ice. Thats why the Vikings found an empty land.....

All the worlds calderas are not the same, some last ages and are massive some don't last long and are small, as science proves its self wrong every few tens of years, (LOL pier reviewed study) the "learned experts" are right about as often as my dog after a few beers in the grand scale of things.

The only people who truly know what will happen are a some farmers and hunters with names that sound like some "Viking " and have not let their instincts become corrupted with too much education, they will have grown up near Bada. Their DNA will survive longer than any of ours, that is all that matters.  :laugh:

Thanks for clearing that up Rustynailer

if she does go big would it create a tsunami and would we be efected by it as well as Norway and other surrounding land. 

Posted

if she does go big would it create a tsunami and would we be efected by it as well as Norway and other surrounding land. 

A Tsunami would be created by a worse case collapse yes, it stands to reason that the shock wave would damage eardrums far away too.

Regarding wave height grab a mag 8 and drop it on Bada It could be 10 times as bad if the explosion went all the way.

Mag 9 would not be out of the question as Bada and Grims are more or less in direct contact with the mantle via the Hot spot which they sit right over.

Chuck 23 Sq Km of 500m thick ice on that.....

Sun spots, I have a question are they even slightly involved in this this time? Anybody Does the sun influence this? Not a trick I just ask.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Anybody Does the sun influence this? Not a trick I just ask.

There is no real evidence as yet, The Weather it certainly does.. But not with immediate effect. 

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

There is no real evidence as yet.

My instinct says there is, but my brain says no.

Maybe we can all learn from this if something happens that we can record.

Lets hope its a normal "tourist eruption" and or rift this time

An interesting time on the Internet.

• Like 1

Posted

"If Bardarbunga didn’t go caldera in 1477" oh pooh, that means that there is also the dangerous lava likeRhyolite OMG that is bad squared. Bad to the power of three

We will be fine, its OK.

Badabunga takes the Ice bucket Challange, coming soon.....

Edited by Cakie
Changed font size
  • Like 1

Posted

I did not make my letters big intentionally.

Anyway watch the news and take care all.

Changed it for you - Cakie

Edited by Cakie
Update

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

Sun spots, I have a question are they even slightly involved in this this time? Anybody Does the sun influence this? Not a trick I just ask.

if your looking into that I wouldn't be looking into sunspots if anything is going to affect volcanism it would be magnetics and how that interacts.

Posted

if your looking into that I wouldn't be looking into sunspots if anything is going to affect volcanism it would be magnetics and how that interacts.

Yes and this magnetics leads me to think that the denser metals spin at the centers of the Sun and planets like a generator.  So  there must be an influence, metals like Uranium spinning at the center of the Earth must react with the like in the Sun.

No peers to consult because they do not know. Science is at a loss here.

Instinct is all that is left.

Posted

Dear science if one wants to have a peaceful existence after Earthly death.......

One must trust instinct, DNA don't you know.....

Always have been a cocky little sh....

9t

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Have been viewing this link for a couple of days now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoISDUAPNgc#t=17223

(chatroom),most of it is a load of tosh but some of the members have a informative view on things,also some funny moments lol.

Posted

Have been viewing this link for a couple of days now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoISDUAPNgc#t=17223

(chatroom),most of it is a load of tosh but some of the members have a informative view on things,also some funny moments lol.

Have been watching it on and off too, some of the trolls in there are worse than we get on here!

• Like 1

Posted

This is the image at Kverkfjoll @20:30

post-16960-0-48716400-1409002501_thumb.j

but i don't know when this snap was taken,i can not see the date/time in the snap :sorry:

post-16960-0-66011700-1409002560_thumb.j

seems to me that there is some melt  on the lake and slope with some steam vents there.

• Like 1

Posted

BÃRÃARBUNGA 2 live cam has gone to night vision

http://volcams.malinpebbles.com/pubweb/Iceland.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow, atlantic storms, hot sun and thunderstorms

Allseasons, even if this volcano has a cataclysmic eruption as Krakatoa did it will not generate tsunamis.  It is too far from the coast whereas Krakatoa was a very small island and surrounded by enormous volumes of sea water which was able to contact the magma immediately after the eruption.  There is obviously plenty of water around Bardabunga in ice form, however this will potentially cause a much more explosive eruption and generate lahars and its distance from the coast means it cannot interact with the sea in a manner which would give rise to tsunamis. 

m

• Like 1

Posted

Allseasons, even if this volcano has a cataclysmic eruption as Krakatoa did it will not generate tsunamis.  It is too far from the coast whereas Krakatoa was a very small island and surrounded by enormous volumes of sea water which was able to contact the magma immediately after the eruption.  There is obviously plenty of water around Bardabunga in ice form, however this will potentially cause a much more explosive eruption and generate lahars and its distance from the coast means it cannot interact with the sea in a manner which would give rise to tsunamis. 

m

Yeah,and Krakatoa is much smaller than Bardabunga,which is why i have my optimism,iceland is mostly one big volcano as i see it.