Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Can it be A blanket of Fog just rolled in and obscured everything ?

Seems things have happened a bit to quick for that PL,somethings wrong.

Posted

just been looking at the water flow for the Jökulsá á Fjöllum 

Average water temp last 24 hrs 7.3.c

AS of 9pm  tonight 5.4.c

water level 232cm

Water flow 322.9m/s

Could this be significant? 

Posted

truthfully

either the cams have both got blocked view here

or something happened at the caldera and the flow has stopped

really confused how sudden this has happened

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

truthfully

either the cams have both got blocked view here

or something happened at the caldera and the flow has stopped

really confused how sudden this has happened

Cannot see lava flows either.somethings not right,power outages is my guess.

Posted

What do you mean power outage ?   Fissure died first, abruptly, but dopplar was still visible for 5-10mins after, then gradually faded.....

Like a bank of Fog rolled in and blocked our view ... I think cams are still working !  ?... just guessing

Posted

The unsmoothed GPS trace is going nuts, most erratic since it was placed.

Could be 2 things. 1. Weather, related to that which suddenly obscured to cams, 2. The surface is indeed moving following the last EQs. This might signal water has penetrated the cap and, as the wind is blowing towards the webcams, steam might be obscuring the view.

I suspect a full blown eruption would turn the cams orange rather than black

Posted

looks like another quake again but around 4 roughly

bottom pic certainly jumping around at present (i reckon that will need adding on more depth to the graph v soon)

it looks likely the big quake and the cameras losing the fissure was a coincidence as per gaels post above

off now goodnight all

same again tomorrow

IDYN.png

barc_cauldron_gps.png

Edited by john pike

Posted

Turned out to be a M5.4  again up on the North East quadrant.

When I get time I must look at what % of quakes have been on the eastern side of the caldera, from memory I feel it's about 75%

Date Time Latitude Longitude Depth Magnitude Quality Location Tuesday
16.09.2014 21:34:12 64.692 -17.378 7.7 km 5.4 99.0 9.2 km NE of Bárðarbunga

After a period where the quakes appeared to be rising towards the surface, the last few (of the big ones) have been deeper again.  Interesting that the quakes since that big one have been very small, wonder how long before before another big one comes, they seem to vary between 6 and 18 hours

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted

According to volcanologist Ãrmann Höskuldsson the volcanic activity in Barda will diminish in the next couple of weeks. There could perhaps still be one or the other fissure eruptions but the risk of a major outbreak has dropped enormously!

I don't know why he thinks a major eruption is less likely now. This is quoted in the comments section of Jon Frimman's blog.

Karyo

Posted

A quick update on one or two things today. First up the GPS change map from the IMO web SIte.

attachicon.gifbbgpseqmap16092014.pngattachicon.gifbbgpseqmap15092014.png

Bearing in mind the worst case scenario of a rapid caldera collapse seems unlikely due to a mixture of outward and inward dipping ring faults. What do you think would be the effects of the worst case scenario  (earthquake big enough to affect the UK? tsunami ? a pressure wave ? big sulphur dioxode cloud ? ash ?). Just curious for peoples opinions.

As ever anything I post should be taken with a very large pinch of salt and I openly admit the situation has me totally confused and I dont have the training to interpret the information  kindly provided by the authorities in Iceland.  I just hope better minds can explain the anomalies and puzzles I see.

I'm still in agreement with Rustynailers North East caldera collapse hypothesis. Over what time frame I can't say.

That section is where the dyke flows out towards Askja. Contact between magma and glacier here has highest possibility of major explosive eruption.

Ãrmann Höskuldsson 's (expert Vulcanologist) quote says no if the translation reads correct. So upmost respect from me and admit I'm only an amateur.

As to what size/area of caldera collapse 20km cubed? Chemical reaction of ice and water with magma to erupt along the entire dyke from fissure to Askja caldera, 50 km, until glacier magma interaction subsides. I see duration of months for this process to cease.

It may not occur for years but current activity at present has me thinking , in months.

So yes I'm seeing a Laki style event but not to same scale due to Bardarbunga's proximity to outer edge of glacier.

SO2 to effect UK would be extremely likely. Slight effect on temps possible.

Street drinking men who love lying on pavement with their can of 12% super strong larger would become the UKs newest extreme sports stars.

Posted

According to volcanologist Ãrmann Höskuldsson the volcanic activity in Barda will diminish in the next couple of weeks. There could perhaps still be one or the other fissure eruptions but the risk of a major outbreak has dropped enormously!

I don't know why he thinks a major eruption is less likely now. This is quoted in the comments section of Jon Frimman's blog.

Karyo

Where are you seeing that? - he is quoted as saying "This is just the beginning"

The vol­canic erup­tion in Holuhraun is just the be­gin­ning. The erup­tion is cur­rently abat­ing but a huge amount of magma still un­der the area wait­ing to reach the sur­face ac­cord­ing to vol­ca­nol­o­gist Ãrmann Höskulds­son at the  In­sti­tute of Earth Sci­ences. The only ques­tion is where a fresh erup­tion will take place and when. That could in fact hap­pen any­where and at any time.

"The odds that a fresh erup­tion will take place are 99.9 per­cent. This is only the be­gin­ning," says Ãrmann to mbl.is. He hopes that fur­ther erup­tion will hap­pen in the sands north of Vat­na­jökull like the cur­rent one and not un­der the glac­ier. Asked if a fresh erup­tion could take place in Bárðar­bunga or Dyn­gju­jökull which are cov­ered with a thick ice­cap he says that could very well hap­pen. The cur­rent abat­ing of the erup­tion in Holuhraun is far from mark an end to the seis­mic ac­tiv­ity in the area ac­cord­ing to him.

http://www.mbl.is/frettir/english/2014/09/17/this_is_only_the_beginning/

PS. A piece on the Reyk­janes mud geysers.

http://www.mbl.is/frettir/english/2014/09/17/mud_geysers_heating_up_in_iceland/

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 1