Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I recall reading posts somewhere that say a fissure eruption can seal over and become concentrated on to a single point - effectively starting the formation of a shield volcano. I've been wondering if vadalda (where the web cams are located) is an example of this but I've been unable to find any info.

Yes it can happen if the pressure and conditions are right for shield building, at the moment conditions at the fissure are good for shield building, continuous runny lava that is not explosive. Just like Hawaii. But with Vikings in the stead of Hawaiians, opposite in climate.  

Bada and Grims are expanding, shields can be made aswell. The rift still rifts.  

At such times the behavior of domestic animals is observed, likewise their wild counterparts.

In parts of Iceland it is dangerous to be outside now.

Volcanoes really are full on. 

It could be like that where we live, if the Earth want's, 99% says she is fine with us at the moment.

Some Viking friends of our may not be so lucky.

I have some ginger in my beard, so some of their blood is with me...LOL

I hope they are OK, it must be worrying for some(not many, just a few, vikings can usually take it, like all that you can throw at them and some)

Still hope they are OK though.

Latest chart poached of off Vikings....post-4726-0-18884300-1410636271_thumb.jp  Recived with thanks, best wishes.

Grimsvotn. = Grims. I am holding them to account, the ginger bit of my beard was the first to go gray....... :girl_devil:  Eeeek..Help :cold: 

I toast to the Vikings   :drinks:  "Skol, Skol, skol,skol ..Sk ...sk.......l................

Nice view,   post-4726-0-20786800-1410637187_thumb.jp Bada, in front of Grims, just...20:40 UK, the view is the Fissure eruption at H, behind is Bada, and the curvature of the Earth precludes a view of Grims, she swells...So does Bada. This is a large rift, mmm.

It could just stop.

To bed, don't panic in geological time I do not exist, neither do you. 

post-4726-0-20851300-1410638339_thumb.jp

Looks like some Chav's have set fire to some tyres.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

It's unlikely that Grims will go up as the it doesn't share the same plumming system as Bada. This is like the speculation about Katla going up after big E erupted. When you look at the eruptive history between the two the connection was very tenuous to say the least. Seismic activity has picked up again in the last few hours I've noticed. Looking at the cams it's seems the fissure eruption has died down a bit but still ongoing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

It's unlikely that Grims will go up as the it doesn't share the same plumming system as Bada. This is like the speculation about Katla going up after big E erupted. When you look at the eruptive history between the two the connection was very tenuous to say the least. Seismic activity has picked up again in the last few hours I've noticed. Looking at the cams it's seems the fissure eruption has died down a bit but still ongoing.

Well the swelling could be something else. Just coincidental.

I think the signs of rifting acceleration, are there, now two very large volcanoes are swelling , and the fissure still erupts. With less gas, .....that goes to the volcanoes then....The gas.

Boom.

Atmospheric conditions dictate lava meeting a glacial melt water river, is with barley a hiss...http://mashable.com/2014/09/11/iceland-bardabunga-volcano-eruption-photos/

The steam is condensed 100's feet in the air, think hot no steam, superheated steam...What looks like a small amount of steam is not at all, it is gas.

Scale is immense, for instance this whole flight is just over part of Grims...EeeeeeeeeK....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yRzmr_r1gY, the whole flight is over just one slope of the beast.

We all know of course that Bada is bigger than Grims, its like a nasty dream sometimes. Like when you are falling immense distances whilst dreaming.  The volcano is big, all of these Iceland ones are very big, they are all nasty if they want.

Better than a book at bedtime.

ZZZZZZZZ L8r's

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Just a quiery

what is that red haze just to the left of the dopplar radar?

http://www.livefromiceland.is/webcams/bardarbunga/

is it that the lava flow has got to that point or is it something new,i don't see steam from it,

@Rustynailor,how do you get the screen grabs from the cams

latest chat from here

suggest's that the magma wall is some 70 meters in hight,so how big is the lava eruption 140?

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

hi karyo

that looks like its increasing again

the activity to the left behind the station looks to be increasing too

Edited by john pike

Posted

hi karyo

that looks like its increasing again

Yes John, it looks much brighter than earlier. The plume is only visible at its base now due to the change in the wind direction.

Also, the area where the lava meets the river is producing more steam than before, probably some ash too.

Edited by karyo

Posted

hi karyo

to me this is not slowing down and if you look at the quakes

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/vatnajokull/#view=table

they have abated slightly but this is not quiet

i reckon quakes will increase again by tomorrow morning (imo)

also expect the customary larger one at bara

bbtodayman.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

A glimpse into the field Observation at Holuhraun eruptive site

ArmHo_DSC02003_en.JPG

ArmHo_DSC01970.JPG

ArmHo_DSC01992.JPG

ArmHo_DSC02003.JPG

http://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/nr/2985

link supplied above

info in link too :-)

Wow great pictures!! :)

Posted

Scale is hard to judge. The mounds/ fountains look maybe 10-20m high to me and I have to remind myself it is 50-70m high - which is staggering really.

Posted

Seismicity continues but only with small quakes according to the IMO site. Unless of course they upgrade an overnight quake like they did yesterday.

Posted

Quote from Jon

Bárðarbunga volcano is 2009 meters high above the ocean. This means there is a lot of material that is going to blow outwards once the collapse starts full force. This is might be one of largest eruptions in Iceland since it got populated more than one thousands years ago. I am hoping that the picture that I am drawing up is not as bad the reality once this starts. I am also hoping that no loss of life is going to happen. I am hoping for the best in this case, but the clues that I am getting are no good at all.

Posted

Quote from Jon

Bárðarbunga volcano is 2009 meters high above the ocean. This means there is a lot of material that is going to blow outwards once the collapse starts full force. This is might be one of largest eruptions in Iceland since it got populated more than one thousands years ago. I am hoping that the picture that I am drawing up is not as bad the reality once this starts. I am also hoping that no loss of life is going to happen. I am hoping for the best in this case, but the clues that I am getting are no good at all.

Is this from his latest update?

Edit: I've just read it also now in today's update. He sounds very confident about the collapse.

Edited by karyo

Posted

hi karyo

to me this is not slowing down and if you look at the quakes

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/vatnajokull/#view=table

they have abated slightly but this is not quiet

i reckon quakes will increase again by tomorrow morning (imo)

also expect the customary larger one at bara

bbtodayman.png

First time in a while that no big quakes are showing at Barda.  There was a question asked last week about tidal effects that were mostly discounted.  Looking at the way the quakes seem to have moved through the day, I wonder whether there is an element of tidal interaction, perhaps not with the lava directly, but the stress placed on the crust as the moon orbits the earth.

IF (and it is a big IF) that's the case, we could be waiting until the period around the new moon for anything big to happen as tidal forces will be decreasing now until then.

All conjecture of course, we wait with anticipation, nature will take it's own time.

As Karyo says above JonFR seems very confident about there being a major collapse.  John, when Pinetubo went up how high did the ash cloud go?  JonFR is expecting 20Km which seems a long way 

Posted

As Karyo says above JonFR seems very confident about there being a major collapse.  John, when Pinetubo went up how high did the ash cloud go?  JonFR is expecting 20Km which seems a long way 

I have a feeling Pinatubo went higher.

Some comments in Jon Frimman's site (from readers) say that climatically such an eruption will have minimal impact if it happens in the next few months. This is because the northern hemisphere has strong low pressure systems that will disperse the SO2 very quickly and very little sunlight to block. By contrast, an eruption in Spring or early summer would have a big impact due to slack weather patterns and maximum sun block.

Posted

First time in a while that no big quakes are showing at Barda. 

The GPS measurements on the Caldera aren't dropping at the moment (sorry, it's on livestream and I can't find the source), after nearly continuous subsidence for a while. It would be wrong to say it's definitely building up to something, it's just stationary. Still though...

Could be signs that the eruption is going to fizzle out. But it could be signs that something is preventing further subsidence - a change in what goes on below. Note that tremor is rising though...

We just have to wait and see.

Posted

Here we go... GPS plot for Bardarbunga

http://brunnur.vedur.is/pub/vatnavakt/bardarbunga/

barc_cauldron_gps.png

She's still going down...

The plume is still continuing but the wind direction is taking it off the view. I notice the plume is creating it's own cloud which occasionally produces showers in the area.

Edited by karyo