Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted

yep, very quite.

Interesting the way that it spikes and quietens, overall number of quakes is well down now, will be interesting to see if we get a repeat pattern

Other point is many of those quakes in the caldera last night were very shallow

Maybe caused by the ice breaking?

Posted

Automatic I assume, Depths and strength vary according to where you look.

Date Time Latitude Longitude Depth Magnitude Quality Location Saturday
13.09.2014 07:58:15 64.673 -17.404 1.1 km 2.6 90.1 6.9 km ENE of Bárðarbunga

Posted

Automatic I assume, Depths and strength vary according to where you look.

Date

Time

Latitude

Longitude

Depth

Magnitude

Quality

Saturday

07:58:15

1.1 km

6.9 km ENE of Bárðarbunga

Nothing on the IMO website.

Posted

Compare the 2 in bold  almost identical positioning, but the newer one considerably closer to the surface

Saturday
07:58:15 64.666 -17.447 3.0 km 4.9 99.0 4.7 km NE of Bárðarbunga Friday
12.09.2014 23:58:55 64.672 -17.485 7.1 km 4.7 99.0 4.1 km NNE of Bárðarbunga Friday
23:52:13 64.671 -17.461 7.6 km 3.1 99.0 4.7 km NE of Bárðarbunga

According to the wonderful Google maps almost exactly  750m horizontal separation between the quake last night and the same strength on this morning, 4,600 Metres vertical separation, which is a big distance for the strain to travel.

Maybe caused by the ice breaking?

My thought exactly

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather
  • Like 1

Posted

The plume from the fissure is much reduced today and I noticed that the IMO have removed the SO2 warning. Oups, just noticed the SO2 warning is back on!

Karyo

Posted

The plume from the fissure is much reduced today and I noticed that the IMO have removed the SO2 warning. Oups, just noticed the SO2 warning is back on!

Karyo

I think they are forecasting light winds, so what comes out will hang about

Posted

I think they are forecasting light winds, so what comes out will hang about

Yes, it also shows on the webcam. The plume is moving very slowly. There will be plenty of settled weather in Iceland next week so light winds can prove to be a problem. Unless the fissure eruption comes to an end and then the SO2 will slowly disperse.

Posted

ruv.is/frett/botn-bardarbunguoskju-seig-um-25-sm      

Translation of 1st 2 paragraphs

Bottom Bárðarbunga caldera sank by 25 centimeters at a time when there was a 4.9 earthquake. Þetta sýnir GPS - mælir sem komið var fyrir ofan á bungunni í fyrradag. This shows GPS - meter was placed on top of the dome yesterday. Enn er talsverð vikrni í gosinu í Holuhrauni en dregið hefur úr skjálftavirkni við kvikuganginn. There is still considerable pumice from the eruption of lava pocket but slowed the earthquake swarm corridor. Enn skelfur þó í Bárðarbungu. Still trembling though Bárðarbunga.

Spár Veðurstofunnar gefa til kynna að styrkur brennisteinsdíoxíðs frá eldgosinu í Holuhrauni verði mikill, frá Héraði að norðanverðum Austfjörðum til kvölds, en síðan færist mengunarsvæðið norðyour og verðyour frá Langanesi til Tjörness á morgun. Weather service forecasts indicate that the concentration of sulfur dioxide from the eruption of lava in the hole will be great, from the province to the northern east coast until evening, and then moves north and pollution of the area will be from the Northeast to Tjörnes tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Not been on for a while,been on holiday

just a quicky before i go out for dinner

a lot of discussion here(latest @ bottom of page),also,i like where the cams are mounted ,on a container lol

http://volcanocafe.wordpress.com/2014/09/12/short-update-121014-and-a-new-riddling-session/

also took me a while to read through the pages ,some fascinating reads/pics and vids,,keep up the good work.

laters.

Posted

Another couple around the Caldera, one ESE, one North, both near 3.5, both checked, neither particularly shallow

The fissure plume is a shadow of its former self! I wonder where the magma is going next?

Posted

The fissure plume is a shadow of its former self! I wonder where the magma is going next?

Maybe the fissure is collapsing on itself. Just a thought... 

Also we may see Eq's increase in number again over the coming days as pressure builds back in to the system.

Posted

Maybe the fissure is collapsing on itself. Just a thought... 

Also we may see Eq's increase in number again over the coming days as pressure builds back in to the system.

I am not sure how a dyke can collapse in its own self unless it is emptying of the magma. I would think there is a blockage somewhere so the magma will try to find another exit.

Posted

I am not sure how a dyke can collapse in its own self unless it is emptying of the magma. I would think there is a blockage somewhere so the magma will try to find another exit.

With the constant flow of magma is it not possible that there's a build up on the dyke surface of cooling magma adding weight  to cause a collapse?

Posted

With the constant flow of magma is it not possible that there's a build up on the dyke surface of cooling magma adding weight  to cause a collapse?

I am not an expert but I would have thought that the constant flow of magma wouldn't let any magma to cool on the surface of the dyke. I could well be wrong though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Carl and Jon on there Volcano blogs today, mentioned Grim's.  She erupted in 2011 and in three days did what EJ did in total in 2010. The largest eruption on Earth in the 21St Century, indeed the largest eruption on Earth in this milenium.

Under the volcano is still up toward 1200C the rock, elements like metal and gasses are at deep underground pressure under Grim's. They are contained, the volcano has her own eruptive cycles and is fed differently by a different source than Bada and her fissure, H.

Problem is that the fissure has been eroding away at herself underground and has self pressurized by mining away at supporting rock, causing collapses and the dreaded restrictions that build up pressure behind them.

Grims is next door and has only recently done the largest eruption to date in the 2!st century on the entire Earth, yes Grim's is tops since 2000AD.

She is still smoking hot and vulnerable to hot magma under pressure finding a way in.

My view is that if the mantle injection goes in there she will do what she did in 2011, plus keep going until there is a blockage or a newer easier breakout down the slope.

Either way if the rift mantle pressure stops then everything stops, except anything that has been left unstable, that will react in a acceptable fashion according to physics

Its relentless, there will be a huge eruption during this volcanic episode we are in at the moment, the longer we leave it the worse it will be.

Very dangerous times, we are privileged to know about such threats to our well being, in this modern age.

I hope it stops now, perhaps  a VE 4 for good measure, but I hope it stops.

Sorry I forgot to point out above that Grims is inflating, quicker than is usual at the moment.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

I recall reading posts somewhere that say a fissure eruption can seal over and become concentrated on to a single point - effectively starting the formation of a shield volcano. I've been wondering if vadalda (where the web cams are located) is an example of this but I've been unable to find any info.