Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted

Camera 2 no visibility. Camera 1 blue skies in distance. Darker plume rising straight up to 2000 ft, then expanding outwards from fissure. Going strong some ash in plume.

SO2 now showing in the plume. Older magma in the mix most likely from last large EQ

Edited by KyleHenry

Posted

http://avd.is/en/?p=276

This just in. Full details above.

• The eruptive activity at Holuhraun continues at similar intensity. Lava flows at similar rates as yesterday. The lava is flowing towards East into Jökulsá á Fjöllum, slightly narrowing its path. No explosive activity due to the lava and river water interaction has been observed, but steam rises from the lava.
  • Scientists flying over the Bárðarbunga area yesterday reported no new changes in the surface.
  • Air quality in urban areas in the East of Iceland (very poor from the details)
  • Earthquake activity in the caldera of Bárðarbunga remains similar to that of the last days. Epicenters are distributed along the northern and south-eastern caldera fault. Earthquake activity at the dyke tip has decreased. More than 50 events have been detected since midnight. Low frequency tremor has decreased.
  • GPS observations:
    • There are minor crustal movements around the dyke supporting the assumption that the amount of magma flowing into the dyke slightly exceeds the flow of magma erupted to the surface.
    • Considering the time period since the beginning of the eruption slow movements towards the Bárðarbunga caldera indicate continuing subsidence of the caldera.
    • A new GPS station was installed on top of Bárðarbunga yesterday to monitor the subsidence of the caldera floor.
Edited by Freddie123
  • Like 1

Posted

Don't shoot the messenger but one of the scientists, currently in Iceland and who has a twitter feed, remarked last night that they do not hold Jon in high regard from a scientific standpoint. That does not mean Jon is not right but neither does it mean his word should be taken before qualified scientists. Maybe they will become more worried themselves and issue a greater level of alarm but for now they are holding fire....

It's fascinating and potentially worrying nonetheless.

Joe

Posted

hi  just  back from holiday noticed  an hour  ago their been  a

3  if   it do go off will we  hear  it here!!!

Edited by tinybill

Posted

Don't shoot the messenger but one of the scientists, currently in Iceland and who has a twitter feed, remarked last night that they do not hold Jon in high regard from a scientific standpoint. That does not mean Jon is not right but neither does it mean his word should be taken before qualified scientists. Maybe they will become more worried themselves and issue a greater level of alarm but for now they are holding fire....

It's fascinating and potentially worrying nonetheless.

Joe

Jon is always clear that he's not qualified as a scientist, I've seen him declare it several times, I also note that he only ramps things up if scientists have said something.

But yes you are right and we should consider all angles

Posted
Posted

Very noticable drop in quakes now, only 9 since this mornings 4.7

Yes, it feels odd that this is happening while the update states that there is slightly more magma flowing into the duke than erupting. You'd think the quakes in the fissure area would continue.

It kind of feels like in a storm with regular lightning and suddenly the lightning stops and just rains

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Depends whether the magma has found a place to flow freely without obstruction. If that's the case less earthquakes. I suspect that we will have a large stress relating quake again soon and the quakes will pick up again.

Posted

The weather has now cleared and the plume is visible in the Mila webcam.

Also, the earthquake activity seems to be on the up again.

Karyo

Posted

A stunning album of a glacier trip and an alternative view of the eruption.

http://dreki.smugmug.com/Photo/Volcao-trip-September-2014/i-mntF8Dx/A

Couple of examples.

_DSC4097-M.jpg

_DSC4077-M.jpg

The first photo is a beautiful example of a volcanic sunset!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Depends whether the magma has found a place to flow freely without obstruction. If that's the case less earthquakes. I suspect that we will have a large stress relating quake again soon and the quakes will pick up again.

Yes it is about the time when it could just stop, or move on to the next bit, truly safer if it stops, for all of us.

The weather has now cleared and the plume is visible in the Mila webcam.

Also, the earthquake activity seems to be on the up again.

Karyo

We will see if this evenings viewing presents us with some Mag 5's or nothing, either way it is new ground and we are unable to predict what this rifting episode will do next, truley nobody knows.

Couple of examples.

_DSC4097-M.jpg

_DSC4077-M.jpg

I have been amazed at the photographs from this eruption, it is so memorable thanks to those who strive for that perfect shot, well done them. Thanks for posting G_F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Couple of examples.

_DSC4097-M.jpg

_DSC4077-M.jpg

Photographers dream Iceland, just amazing.

Posted

I have been thinking about Badabunga, the options for the future, I have thought of another one or two. 

Eruption at the fissure stops rifting stops, Badabunga caldera slowly collapses, without immediate eruption, say over a few months. Then eruption. VE 4-6, large glacial flood.

Other options are continual rifting eruptions in the same place and new places, but towing the line of the current active fissure and Volcanoes going off as they are set off by the rift.

Bada is in full contact with the mantle has been for 1000's years, that's why the lava is so runny...(simply put)

Posted

Still reading, video is great. 

It has quietened seismically, now Iceland is at her most dangerous. Always been this way there.

Posted

It is indeed and I like that Icelandic song! :)

I was told to turn it down  :nonono:

Posted

Who by? I think it's great!

Not sure but if you can pronounce Tungafellsjökull, then at least one of us could ask over the phone, actually I cant pronounce it......

Mila 1 in some far off planet in star wars mode...post-4726-0-85170600-1410549368_thumb.jp

Posted

Not sure but if you can pronounce Tungafellsjökull, then at least one of us could ask over the phone, actually I cant pronounce it......

Mila 1 in some far off planet in star wars mode...attachicon.gifMila 1 in.JPG

The plume is looking subdued compared to earlier on and no earthquakes in the last hour. I wonder if the eruption is coming to an end at least for now.

Karyo

Posted

The plume is looking subdued compared to earlier on and no earthquakes in the last hour. I wonder if the eruption is coming to an end at least for now.

Karyo

Yes like EJ 2010, exactly. 

Some Icelanders(1r2) are speculating, that with the GPS movements the land next to and including the caldera at Bada has twisted around a bit. Twisted being the key word.

In my opinion, the twisting of a vertical shaft in mining due to outside influence is likely to cause sudden collapse of the said shaft. When otherwise viewed than mining.... A truly vertical shaft is safest of the shafts one can drive. Caldera shaft is safe but if you twist it.... Oh dear/deer.... Obviously the deeper you drive a shaft the pressure says that the sides cave in if you do not take precautions.

Edited by Rustynailer