Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

They will be back unless there has been above a 4, although, shockwaves can be damaging for miles in a VE 1... Prob some generator packed up, maybe...10% outsider...

Gross outside chance aurora effect stirs magma up LOL John P.

I will get my coat... Truth be told, the aurora and the rifting may well be influenced by the same group of things that are always going on. 

Science disagrees unless it is buried in truth sometimes, no hunches and beliefs allowed, for our "health and safety"

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 3

Posted

They will be back unless there has been above a 4, although, shockwaves can be damaging for miles in a VE 1... Prob some generator packed up, maybe...10% outsider...

Gross outside chance aurora effect stirs magma up LOL John P.

I will get my coat... Truth be told, the aurora and the rifting may well be influenced by the same group of things that are always going on. 

Science disagrees unless it is buried in truth sometimes, no hunches and beliefs allowed, for our "health and safety"

Probably quite dangerous at the moment regarding the sensors... If lava is flowing it is not making any noise, that could be either very good, or very bad, the bad would have brass knobs on it is that bad, :hi:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Cams back on

ps thanks for all the incredibly interesting and informative posts :)

.................addictive this volcano watch!

Posted

Cams back on

Not Yet, I have tried in several places

The lovely http://www.midhus.is/webcam/Webcam.jpg is still there(Iceland time _ hour...)

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Not Yet, I have tried in several places

The lovely http://www.midhus.is/webcam/Webcam.jpg is still there(Iceland time _ hour...)

try this

Posted

try this

Looks fine thank you stratty.

No camera ruining shock wave then...

Wonder how the distant cloud over Bada is?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Latest pic from Bardy2 for those that cant connect.

post-12197-0-84552600-1410291787_thumb.p

And a better view from B1

post-12197-0-51580200-1410292134_thumb.p

Edited by Raptor Raw

Posted

Still there, if it still there in the tomorrow, it will be interested even more, talk about encapsulating....  post-4726-0-15393500-1410292708_thumb.jp   post-4726-0-32001500-1410293229_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Lava fountains look spectacular tonight..and devils are a plenty 6 even!

Posted

Lava fountains look spectacular tonight..and devils are a plenty 6 even!

And 2 twisters, Kelvin Helmholtz clouds in the back ground, what a view..

OMG post-4726-0-38196900-1410293476_thumb.jppost-4726-0-88238600-1410293608_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 2

Posted

Norwegians smell sulfur from Holuhraun

smell of sulfur gas thought to be from the Holuhraun eruption, has been detected at the west coast of Norway, some 1300 kilometres away (807 miles) according to Norsk Radio, the public broadcaster in Norway. Sattellite photos have shown migration of gasses in that direction.

In a story published today on NRK´s website, meteorologist Vibeke Thynes says the most likely source of the smell is the eruption in Iceland; she says the sulfur gas is highly diluted and not at all dangerous to the public. 

Satellite photos show clearly that the gasplume from the Holuhraun has migrated towards Norway, says Bjorn Saevar Einarsson, a meteorologist at the Icelandic Met Office; therefore the most likely explanation for the smell is the eruption, he says. 

According to status reports published by the Civil Protection Agency, the plume has in recent days reached a height of at least 6 kilometers. Sulfur pollution has been detected in urban areas in Eastern Iceland, and blue haze has been clearly visible there. 

The smell that Norwegians now find on the west coast of Norway is very famililar to Icelanders. They call it "Hveralykt", or "smell of geysers", of which there are numerous in Iceland.

http://www.ruv.is/frett/norwegians-smell-sulfur-from-holuhraun

Posted

What is fascinating about this eruption is that it is creating its own micro climate.

Radar and satellite show the persistent high reflectivity over the area.

http://en.vedur.is/weather/observations/radar/#type=radare

140909_1445.jpg140909_1945.png

It is the heat of the Earth and the gasses, behaving in ways they usually only do in the lab. I am astonished and profoundly at awe.

Our maker is here, we are small.

I am not allowing myself coffee now as I think I will go off on one...LOL

Tea only for me...If only to keep a clear head.

Situation as at 20:25 IT   post-4726-0-10199700-1410294804_thumb.jp My view is that we are in a trough of activity ATM 

https://twitter.com/dyngjujokull?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fvolcanocafe.wordpress.com%2F2014%2F09%2F09%2Fred-skies-over-holuhraun%2F&tw_i=509374016541716480&tw_p=tweetembed Lovely

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/vatnajokull/#view=table

hi rusty

more quakes showing at  bara but nothing big

yet

140909_2030.png

Edited by john pike
  • Like 1

Posted

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/vatnajokull/#view=table

hi rusty

more quakes showing at  bara but nothing big

yet

140909_2030.png

https://twitter.com/dyngjujokull?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fvolcanocafe.wordpress.com%2F2014%2F09%2F09%2Fred-skies-over-holuhraun%2F&tw_i=509374016541716480&tw_p=tweetembed Love this...

The absence of quakes means lava is flowing freely from Bada, the rift will swallow lots, all that is left comes out of the fissure.

The caldera gets lower as long as this happens, tick tock. It is hard to just stop something this big. The 80 odd square KM caldera area is but a small part.      Do we matter in this no, we are not in the process.

Eeeek. I feel totally insignificant and powerless. 

I am still going for a NE flank collapse, right in to the fissure, VE 6+, bad disruption etc, news  bad etc...I have upped it to a 6+ from a plain 6...I have a feeling the rifting lets go irreversibly once started, and we started rifting ages ago...The long haul, with occasional volcanoes that erupt whilst the fissure erupts, that sort of long haul.

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 2

Posted

i am thinking a collapse NE flank too

or another option

the volcano drops further down and the ice collapses downwards (big bang)

re size of eruption

at least a 4+  up to ?

but first we have to see what the dyke does re the thinner part of the ice

that could be quite lively too

i also feel a bigger quake is likely still

all opinion only and as rusty states we can only watch now

• Like 1

Posted

If it was a major eruption could the shockwaves from it be felt in the uk? Eg if it caused a massive explosion

Also keep up the good work everyone I love this thread it's a top read.

Edited by Love Snow

Posted

Yes exactly we speculate, another big 4+ quake in the area of action at approx just before 22:00 hrs UK time. If its on the drums, it looks nothing special, but with softened glacier, what shock would you see... Mush, just mushes...

Posted

Which area of action? At the dyke, under the glacier or in the crater?

Edited by Crepuscular Ray

Posted

If it was a major eruption could the shockwaves from it be felt in the uk? Eg if it caused a massive explosion

If it was violently explosive(which it wont be IMO) like Krakatoa, yes as it is much bigger, it is in fact the biggest of its type on Earth. But thank god the explosive contact between Krakatoas caldera bottom @1200C with sea water was very very sudden and overwhelming, Bada is not like this, here we have an unstable slab of Ice and rock that will slide off and expose the inner volcano, which will explode to the NE where the fissure has weakened it, most likely. it will go slow with a series of big explosive eruptions, occasional mag 6 quakes etc. A series of ice and rock lahars and Plinaian eruptions

It will be a mag7+ if it goes quick, .  The shock waves will be the killer if within 50 miles NE, tsunami Local, but it may effect NE Europe slightly, not at all like Japan a few years ago.

The sudden drop like Krakatoa with the huge amount of sea water entering are not at all likely.

The chances of this being filmed by Mila are good but bare in mind the camera is in range of the artillery.

Hey it could just stop...That is the great thing.

• Like 1

Posted

hi lovesnow

really hard call that

i would think unlikely but again its a watch and see

• Like 2

Posted

Which area of action? At the dyke, under the glacier or in the crater?

The area of action is dictated by pressure  to a large extent, so the answer is the weakest at the time, at the moment it is the fissure, in the background is a unstable weakened volcano, out of sight at the moment but much in mind.

The Glacier fissure eruption could well be marked on the Ice by tomorrow, don't forget there has only been a small number or larger quakes in the area unlike Bada, the ice is still tough, the rumbling is showing maybe.

post-4726-0-24149200-1410299280_thumb.jp

If Bada goes proper, the Mila will not make the picture...It is too close   post-4726-0-48801200-1410299711_thumb.jp Bada is bigger than that, that being only about 10% of what Bada can do on a bad day...  Big quake 21;40 Iceland time could be a 5, def a 4+

Long and rumbling quake .post-4726-0-41031400-1410300162_thumb.jp It starts in the previous line...Slip? I am not sure...post-4726-0-09643400-1410300272_thumb.jp

More detail  post-4726-0-66366500-1410300325_thumb.jp   post-4726-0-17060500-1410300650_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

And so far, no sign of anything at all that major/explosive happening. Why the specific timeframe of 21.40 Iceland time? Would it make a difference if a similarly sized earthquake or eruption happened at the same place at a different time?

Edited by Crepuscular Ray