Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/eruption-update-new-fissure-eruption-starts-closer-to-vatnajokull-in-iceland-kilauea-lava-flow-threatens-homes/#more-1528801

Interesting we may smell sulphur in the future if the wind blow sin the right direction. Not good for people with breathing problems.

Posted

Amazing video and just to think its a smaller volcano, what could happen is this volcano blows its top. Quite like the music :rolleyes: 

Take it thats what happens when you mix magma with ice/water Spectacular.

@Mousehole1 local scientists are perplexed and worried - unprecedented movement of material beneath surface

Seems that this has got some people concerned about what may happen next.

Also looking at the IMO site i noticed a group of earthquakes at another volcano. Anything to note?

140906_1245.png 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/eruption-update-new-fissure-eruption-starts-closer-to-vatnajokull-in-iceland-kilauea-lava-flow-threatens-homes/#more-1528801

Interesting we may smell sulphur in the future if the wind blow sin the right direction. Not good for people with breathing problems.

I don,t fancy that, I expect smokers will be the first to suffer from coughing....

The caldera has dropped 15 m according to sources...https://twitter.com/RUVfrettir/status/508241275737612288

The potential for a serious eruption of Bada is now great, minimum of a VE 4 like Grims 2011 in my opinion, also that will be within the next few days if it happens,  I suggest. Very serious is this 15m.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Does anyone know if the newer fissures are still active?  Difficult to see on the mila cams at the mo.

Great clip of Grimsvotn 2011 eruption from rusty but he has also posted an astonishing you tube clip on the general volcanic activity thread of mount tarvurvur erupting a few days back https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/62309-general-volcanic-activity-thread/page-127#entry3034177

It shows the huge difference between an effusive eruption currently going on in Iceland and what a sudden explosive eruption can look like. The interaction of the cloud formations with the blast front is like those seen in the old atomic test programs. 

• Like 1

Posted

Does anyone know if the newer fissures are still active?  Difficult to see on the mila cams at the mo.

Great clip of Grimsvotn 2011 eruption from rusty but he has also posted an astonishing you tube clip on the general volcanic activity thread of mount tarvurvur erupting a few days back https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/62309-general-volcanic-activity-thread/page-127#entry3034177

It shows the huge difference between an effusive eruption currently going on in Iceland and what a sudden explosive eruption can look like. The interaction of the cloud formations with the blast front is like those seen in the old atomic test programs. 

Thank you. I have been amazed by the quality of the footage we get these days, if Bada goes up I hope the weather plays ball so we can watch on the web cams and people near by can get good modern HD video.

I am probably asking too much with the weather though aren't I  :nonono:

Fissure still active 14;09 UK time  post-4726-0-71297500-1410008921_thumb.jp

The ring fault and caldera will have been measured with a ground scanning radar I think, they in Iceland will not guess at such important things as a 15m drop...I thaught I would add this as there appears to be speculation about the official announcement over the internet...Thats the way I see it anyhow.

We await news...  https://twitter.com/RUVfrettir/status/508241275737612288

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

According to this it was measured yesterday with a radar altimeter aircraft.

The rest of the report is below.

http://avd.is/is/?p=357

That is the one it will be callsign TIF-SIF, the pictures from that radar scan will be the ones they are interpreting now. I bet TIF-SIF is sent again.

Seen on this by Icelanders the other day http://www.flightradar24.com/65,-19.1/6 the location has been set.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

No idea if already been posted, But a good view from here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlIrM3qVwvQ

Some close up footage here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dalp8ht40Y0

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

I would think they will as major changes like that to the area will need constant monitoring.

It is quite amazing how this keeps changing and evolving on a day to day basis. It will provide so much new information to go through and learn from for future eruptions in the area. 

And not just for the scientist either, but for everyone who has any kind of interest in volcanoes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Another update and article from RUV

http://www.ruv.is/frett/15-meter-subsidence-in-bardarbunga-caldera

post-7292-0-62252200-1410013384_thumb.pn

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Plumed of SO2 at noon today.

oB5jZHj.png

Here's an interesting post on the matter:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/09/05/1327574/-B-r-arbunga-Sorry-Ireland

Scroll down for this text, and more (updated at 16:30 yesterday):

"I found every online SO2 meter in Ireland, and all but one are spiking like crazy. Nothing to health alert levels yet, but it's still going up. Also it's worth noting that while Ireland's public health alert levels are at 350µg/m³, WHO recommends no more than 20µg/m³ for 24 hours and no more than 500µg/m³ for 10 minutes."

Edited by Buzz
  • Like 1

Posted

I have a hunch that the volcanic gasses will rise and dilute, so hopefully all we will get is an occasional rotten egg  kind of smell. Nothing more for now un less it goes on and on...

The thing with fissures is that they do this for months sometimes years, it is the build up when it starts circumnavigating the globe week after week that is dangerous.

Carbon filters and associated air purifying systems for offices and such, will be a wise investment for people with the money to invest, just in case...A guess, we shall see.

Make your own look on the net if you are worried. Personally I will wait till I see the evidence of such disruption. Seriously, I will wait.  

The overall Northern outlook, fissureing, normal in the grand scale of things, Picture received with heartfelt thanks to Iceland, thank God, they are a clever bunch of former Vikings.   post-4726-0-29550700-1410027604_thumb.jp

I hope there are no Large detonations like Krakatoa, the slow fissure and a Grímsvötn 2011 type blast is all I hope this will be. The fissure its self on the otherhand is North Atlantic Rifting, that is the odd ball here, It has waves of influence beyond current knowledge.. of us lot, all of us.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Not sure if this video has been posted, but it's really nice:

http://www.ruv.is/frett/everything-changes-when-night-falls

The sharp tip of the fissure is likely to cause some in Iceland to shudder at this video. That is quite normal

DNA Don't you know, The only question that is an answer, so there is no ????????????????????????????????????

19;50 UK time deduce most likely outcome ; flank collapse under glacier, Bardabunga Normal VE 4, with glacier...That will be at least a five under the @600m thick ice layre, fractured by the quakes it is very unstable, personally felt a 5,4 in 1984, I say the ice is an unreliable arch, just like Mr Brunel would have. NE flank, within hours over 70%. om that.

If not then further period but flank collapse inevitable. I think the 70% is the best I can do.  

100% on the Mr Brunel.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

About now is the returning wave I will post the pic in a separate go. Like we used to.

Posted

C returning wave...Ice might not like.   post-4726-0-08130900-1410031559_thumb.jp

The likes of which make ice lubricate its self with its own dust, like graphite in a pencil... Various volcanoes and mountains in the area are outgassing, they have been for days, just like Fawley fuel works does from the Isle of Wight, clouds form above the rest and billow in the direction of the wind where they emerge and condense...   The waves have a gradual build up then a cliff like drop off that is not good with ice. Put a blow lamp under it and it is any one's guess. 

Looking at the quake map the ice will go in the direction of the fissure. A line from the far West to the North East, like JO groats tho Lands end is having their tremor charts have a background increase, the Internet shows the way...post-4726-0-54515100-1410032870_thumb.jp   To a point it will sharpen the incoming wave until it breaks explosively, sorry, but it is true. At the very least it is heating up rock, that did not need heating at the moment.

Pretty tourist eruption.  post-4726-0-71736600-1410033165_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

activity increased again looking at webcams ?

might be as getting lower light - but seems quite light there atm - just the lava looks more impressive atm to me

Posted

on Mila 2 webcam is that the lava stream all the way to the tip of where you can see over teh crest of the elevated mountain the camera is on ?

its certainly made its way across 

Posted

The lava field is certainly more incandescent this evening (compare to rusty's screen grab in post 728).  I guess as it's area increases and it has had time to transmit heat into it's surroundings then the central parts of the field are able to retain more heat and not crust over so readily.  If the flow from the fissure were to suddenly stop, how long would the field be able to keep on flowing downhill before it comes to a halt? Hours? Days? Weeks even?

Posted

If the magma can not pierce the Ice just like Hawaii it breaks out at a lower level like it has with the fissures here.

The danger in Iceland is the melting fissures cut away at something a bit like coastal erosion, big collapse out of sight.... that blocks things up a bit, back pressure is dangerous, also don't forget those long period waves...

I like the complicated cross dangers, like some complicated railway junction ten times the size of Clapham or Crewe, the signal box is awe inspiring. That is as like as I can get a reference too.