Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted

New eruptive fissure in the Holuhraun eruption is much closer to the Dyngjujokull glacier than the previous ones, and creeping towards the glacier, says volcanologist Armann Hoskuldsson, who surveyed the new fissure this morning. Volcanic tremor indicates the fissure opened around 4 AM.

http://www.ruv.is/frett/new-eruption-creeping-towards-glacier

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Classic view of the new and old fissure sites. post-4726-0-39798000-1409916952_thumb.jp

Latest unchecked output suggests under the glacier she will go...post-4726-0-77754900-1409917152_thumb.jp   post-4726-0-36197800-1409917269_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

This morning journalists from Icelandic National Broadcasting Service (RUV), who were flying over the eruption site in Holuhraun, saw that a new fissure south of the old one had opened up during the night. The new fissure is closer to the Dyngjujökull glacier. Scientists and representatives from the Civil Protection are now flying over the area to collect data on the new fissure.

The District Commissioner in Husavik has decided to further restrict access to the eruption site northwest of Vatnajökull glacier, due to increased unrest at the eruption site in Holuhraun. The media and scientists have been given a limited access with special permissions to the area, subject to certain terms and conditions. While this uncertainty remains no one will be allowed into the closed area. Road F910 by Vaðalda has also been closed.

This decision will be reviewed in light of new information.

The District Commissioner in Husavik

National Commissioner of the Icelandic Police Department of Civil Protection and Emergency Management.

http://www.almannavarnir.is/displayer.asp?cat_id=133

Posted

This morning journalists from Icelandic National Broadcasting Service (RUV), who were flying over the eruption site in Holuhraun, saw that a new fissure south of the old one had opened up during the night. The new fissure is closer to the Dyngjujökull glacier. Scientists and representatives from the Civil Protection are now flying over the area to collect data on the new fissure.

The District Commissioner in Husavik has decided to further restrict access to the eruption site northwest of Vatnajökull glacier, due to increased unrest at the eruption site in Holuhraun. The media and scientists have been given a limited access with special permissions to the area, subject to certain terms and conditions. While this uncertainty remains no one will be allowed into the closed area. Road F910 by Vaðalda has also been closed.

This decision will be reviewed in light of new information.

The District Commissioner in Husavik

National Commissioner of the Icelandic Police Department of Civil Protection and Emergency Management.

http://www.almannavarnir.is/displayer.asp?cat_id=133

I would not be surprised if we see more scientists and TV crews up near the Mila cams where it is a lot safer. If that fissure contacts the glacier(putting it simply) there are possibly quite dangerous results to consider, certainly on the outwash plain in front of the glacier like flash flooding and also explosive activity with projectiles flying all over the place.

Jon frimann says that they have put the Doppler radar on Vadalda in case there is a subglacial eruption.

Wow that new fissure has been pumping out lava alright. post-4726-0-29973200-1409920678_thumb.jp  post-4726-0-34071200-1409920690_thumb.jp

Latest lava flow map, with the new fissure marked but only with an Icon no measuring done on that one yet, nobody is allowed near to use GPS  :unknw: post-4726-0-96430000-1409920702_thumb.jp

Finally somebody has taken a proper camera over the fissure, yesterday I think. One of Carl's friends in Iceland...https://www.flickr.com/photos/35133216@N05/14954939189/in/photostream/lightbox/

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 5

Posted

What a stunning set of photos! The colours and the landscape just beautiful.

That is an Icelandic volcano enthusiast with a decent camera....

This has just croped up from the 1st Sept...TIF-SIF flight over the Eruption and glacier....post-4726-0-36179300-1409923193_thumb.jp

No comment   post-4726-0-90949000-1409923457_thumb.jp

Another  http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/2014/09/Bardarbunga_plume

Mila Bada 1 now 14;28 UK post-4726-0-82236500-1409923771_thumb.jp Note Doppler radar. Also the steam and gasses in separate plumes as they outgas. No smoke at all, volcanoes do not give off smoke.

No Idea whether or not there is a connection but another explosion off shore in NE Iceland...post-4726-0-80625000-1409924230_thumb.jp There was one yesterday also on the map, todays is bigger.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

I was looking at the 2nd plume earlier today and assumed it was the river delta interacting with the lava field from the original fissure.  A 2nd fissure heading south towards the glacier - interesting times ahead me thinks.

There is a clear difference in the new fissure shown between the photos in Freddies/GF's/ JP's posts 697/700/701 and those in rusty's 704.  It looks to me like the photos in rustys post were taken earlier and it has now evolved/elongated southwards.

The white spots shown in the middle ground from the screen grabs rust posted are also curious.  I guess they could be vehicles but everyone has been told to pull out from the flood plain http://icelandreview.com/news/2014/09/05/holuhraun-eruption-site-now-closed-all so I guess fumaroles are a possibility.

Great picture at the end of rusty's post btw.

Edited by swebby

Posted

An extract from an article on Volcano cafe. Its about the potential eruption at the caldera and the ring faults.

Since the appropriate Icelandic authorities have today publicly mentioned the possibility of a large, acidic and explosive eruption at Bardarbunga, we now feel free to inform you that this possibility has been discussed by the Dragons, behind closed doors, for well over a week. The key information comes from this official IMO graphic:

The first premise is that earthquakes do not occur in molten rock. Nor do they form a clearly visible ring shape such as the above except under one circumstance – they do so around a body of liquid, in this case magma. A conservative estimate places the size of this body of magma at 8 km diameter, height unknown but most likely on the order of 3 – 6 km, depth also unknown but relatively shallow. Using simple geometry, 4 x Pi x r3 / 3 yields a volume of ~250 cubic kilometres for a sphere, but for our flattened body something on the order of 125 – 140 cu km.

The link is here http://volcanocafe.wordpress.com/2014/09/03/bardarbunga-update-20140903/

Posted

Latest update from the IMO now out.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/2947

These two bits of info grab the attention

- The cauldron in Dyngjujökull seems to have grown deeper since the last observation -

- Conductivity measurements show a slight increase in conductivity in Jökulsá á Fjöllum. -

Maybe indicates the possibility that the tremor activity seen recently is an eruption going on under the glacier?

Posted

Been hearing lately that due to volcanic activity in Iceland that it change or effect our weather.

How would it effect the weather?

Edited by Skulltheruler

Posted

Been hearing lately that due to volcanic activity in Iceland that it change or effect our weather.

How would it effect the weather?

SO2 blocks sunlight quite effectively when it gets up into the stratosphere, so it would make it colder, but it takes an eruption like this months to do it I think. (according to what I have read over the years on the net)

The thing is I have a hunch that it takes less SO2 in the stratosphere than we realize to give us a cold winter in the UK, I think we will get one anyhow now.

Just a hunch not scientific fact at all.

Might remove the Black swan off of my avatar :cold:  soon, seriously thinking about it LOL

Looks like a jolt of activity on the graphs just...post-4726-0-34858200-1409926377_thumb.jp

Conductivity has risen in...post-4726-0-50883600-1409926774_thumb.jp

Jökulsá á Fjöllum

Latest Mila 1 ...post-4726-0-04280300-1409927072_thumb.jp  Quote "steam cloud at 15000ft"  http://avd.is/en/?p=163

Another jolt   post-4726-0-32782400-1409927991_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

3.2M in the dyke under the glacier first above 3M for a while

Friday
05.09.2014 14:31:44 64.785 -16.909 7.2 km 3.2 99.0 14.2 km E of Kistufell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

SO2 blocks sunlight quite effectively when it gets up into the stratosphere, so it would make it colder, but it takes an eruption like this months to do it I think. (according to what I have read over the years on the net)

The thing is I have a hunch that it takes less SO2 in the stratosphere than we realize to give us a cold winter in the UK, I think we will get one anyhow now.

Just a hunch not scientific fact at all.

the so2 doesn't have to get into the stratosphere it can still do the same damage at lower levels of the atmosphere a fissure eruption would be unlikely to get the so2 right up into the stratosphere you would need a big explosive eruption like KATLA to do that although it doesn't get right into the stratosphere when it is released and interacts with water vapour in the atmosphere it then turns the so2 into sulphuric acid which reflects the sunlight and it can hang around in the atmosphere for years before it naturally dissipates now if we think if it was only to get up to 850hpa or 500hpa which is nowhere near the stratosphere then it would cool the lower layers of the atmosphere reducing the temp gradient meaning we would be more likely to see snow as the air below wouldn't warm as much as usual and we could see snow with upper temps we usually wouldn't purely because the lower levels in the atmosphere are colder than usual with the same upper air temps.

it wouldn't create more blocking but it can disrupt weather patters greatly across the globe like LAKI it caused major drought in Africa and caused the indian monsoons to fail and it affected every continent on the planet but LAKI was like this it only had about a 2 mile section erupt at a time but the lava fountains would have been a mile high and maximum flow rate was 150,000 cubic feet per second and it ejected chlorine and fluorine and its so2 output for the total 9 month eruption was 120 mega tonnes I don't know how much this one is yet or will end up being.

this eruption could go on a while if you think of LAKI taking 9 months and the eruption doing same as is just now working its way along the fissure or dyke then this could last a while as well and will be likely to erupt along the whole dyke and under the glacier at some point which will make the eruption more explosive and once this happens it will really be time to watch as if it does turn more explosive then it could have further effects on the fissure itself and put far more strain on the area.

its going to be good watching for the next couple of months at least I think if this goes along the whole fissure then its eruption length will be close to LAKI but I don't think we will get the same amount of magma coming from it but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Posted

the so2 doesn't have to get into the stratosphere it can still do the same damage at lower levels of the atmosphere a fissure eruption would be unlikely to get the so2 right up into the stratosphere you would need a big explosive eruption like KATLA to do that although it doesn't get right into the stratosphere when it is released and interacts with water vapour in the atmosphere it then turns the so2 into sulphuric acid which reflects the sunlight and it can hang around in the atmosphere for years before it naturally dissipates now if we think if it was only to get up to 850hpa or 500hpa which is nowhere near the stratosphere then it would cool the lower layers of the atmosphere reducing the temp gradient meaning we would be more likely to see snow as the air below wouldn't warm as much as usual and we could see snow with upper temps we usually wouldn't purely because the lower levels in the atmosphere are colder than usual with the same upper air temps.

it wouldn't create more blocking but it can disrupt weather patters greatly across the globe like LAKI it caused major drought in Africa and caused the indian monsoons to fail and it affected every continent on the planet but LAKI was like this it only had about a 2 mile section erupt at a time but the lava fountains would have been a mile high and maximum flow rate was 150,000 cubic feet per second and it ejected chlorine and fluorine and its so2 output for the total 9 month eruption was 120 mega tonnes I don't know how much this one is yet or will end up being.

this eruption could go on a while if you think of LAKI taking 9 months and the eruption doing same as is just now working its way along the fissure or dyke then this could last a while as well and will be likely to erupt along the whole dyke and under the glacier at some point which will make the eruption more explosive and once this happens it will really be time to watch as if it does turn more explosive then it could have further effects on the fissure itself and put far more strain on the area.

its going to be good watching for the next couple of months at least I think if this goes along the whole fissure then its eruption length will be close to LAKI but I don't think we will get the same amount of magma coming from it but I could be wrong.

And to follow up on what Buried is saying, the longer the eruption lasts, the more potential effect it has.  At lower levels the SO2 comes out quite quickly as acid rain, mostly sulphurous acid, but if it's being constantly replenished then that's not funny.

With the jet stream liable to carry the SO2 around it's quite likely that at least the Northern part of the UK will be affected during the coming months if this eruption persists.

• Like 1

Posted

3.2M in the dyke under the glacier first above 3M for a while

Friday

05.09.2014 14:31:44 64.785 -16.909 7.2 km 3.2 99.0 14.2 km E of Kistufell

Wonder if that's an Ice quake?  The last part of that Video of the new fissure showed quite a depression.

Anyone know how how far a given weight of ice would have to fall to produce a 3.2?

I might try to work it out in a minute

Posted

Wonder if that's an Ice quake?  The last part of that Video of the new fissure showed quite a depression.

Anyone know how how far a given weight of ice would have to fall to produce a 3.2?

I might try to work it out in a minute

At 7.2km depth it is certainly not an ice quake.

Karyo

Posted

At 7.2km depth it is certainly not an ice quake.

Karyo

Ahhh, good point  :cc_confused::fool:  That'll teach me to read the whole thing

After all the work I've just done as well c'est la vie

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted

Ahhh, good point  :cc_confused::fool:  That'll teach me to read the whole thing

After all the work I've just done as well c'est la vie

This is the recorded and auto corrected data*(90%), it will be manually checked in time when/if it is it gets a 99% on the main site, but that is not all as when the big boss manual checker walks in he/she sometimes changes it because its wrong :pardon: ... This can happen hours later. :clapping:  it is nice trying to beat the checkers, beating the boss I will not talk about  :closedeyes:

*qu= 90%

Note: Ice when collapsing in a volcanic environment can make natural arches that (frustrating for the caldera collapse fans) hold a unbelievably surprising amount of weight.  This throws the scent somewhat  :hi: When the arch gives it goes with a crack, also in a flowing glacier environment the vertical should read opposing greatest force, Its the new vertical during this event I am afraid...Ice is strong in this.

post-4726-0-41310400-1409941154_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

This is the recorded and auto corrected data*(90%), it will be manually checked in time when/if it is it gets a 99% on the main site, but that is not all as when the big boss manual checker walks in he/she sometimes changes it because its wrong :pardon: ... This can happen hours later. :clapping:  it is nice trying to beat the checkers, beating the boss I will not talk about  :closedeyes:

*qu= 90%

Note: Ice when collapsing in a volcanic environment can make natural arches that (frustrating for the caldera collapse fans) hold a unbelievably surprising amount of weight.  This throws the scent somewhat  :hi:

Yep, I made a couple of assumptions (like the Glacier being 200m deep at that point and that the Ice dropped 5 metres (would probably drop more like 50) and came up with 15 billion tonnes for a 3.2 earthquake.

I got the energy emitted from http://alabamaquake.com/energy.html#/ neat site

Posted

Yep, I made a couple of assumptions (like the Glacier being 200m deep at that point and that the Ice dropped 5 metres (would probably drop more like 50) and came up with 15 billion tonnes for a 3.2 earthquake.

I got the energy emitted from http://alabamaquake.com/energy.html#/ neat site

I like it. I find it quite addictive this volcano thinking. Its just like thunder storms or predicting winter, ect.

Just from memory though, one must remember the links for the data. The last lot was 2011, I still have not found all my links.... :fool: I bet  I don't recognize them when I stumble on the 2014 version...

I think I have killed my spell check in Iceland lol.

This could be something, yee old magma is a movin.post-4726-0-60784100-1409944531_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

not sure if this has been posted? but here is a good pic showing how close the fissure is getting to the glacier

https://twitter.com/RUVfrettir/status/507962994626945024/photo/1

• Like 3

Posted

not sure if this has been posted? but here is a good pic showing how close the fissure is getting to the glacier

https://twitter.com/RUVfrettir/status/507962994626945024/photo/1

The lovely ash layers from previous eruptions in the surrounding huge landscape, dominate the picture, only volcanic glaciers do this.  post-4726-0-00775400-1409944744_thumb.jp

That was in surfing terminology a big wave....post-4726-0-73438400-1409944818.jpg I have refreshed before posting, so this is younger.

Larger wavelength ripples are at play here folks, the Earth can tare when she wants, the tear is accelerated by the wave,,,

That was a long period wave. Dangerous for fissures.

Like tsunamis all sorts of eddies and silly things happen.

The crater on the ice could leave an Askja if she wished Tilly

post-4726-0-45160000-1409945575_thumb.jp

Infact longer than is comfortable   post-4726-0-80088600-1409945738_thumb.jp I will check again.

Remember if the pooh hits the fan I can hardly look at this brown and green Sweet from Iceland. :girl_devil: I will not even try ...

post-4726-0-88471900-1409945143_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1