Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted

Just as you posted the SO2 map Rustynailer, weather forecasts are showing direct winds from Iceland into Norway by Tuesday 9th Sept then NW UK by Thursday 11th Sept. If SO2 emissions continue at present output do you foresee any Health issues for Countries down wind?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Just as you posted the SO2 map Rustynailer, weather forecasts are showing direct winds from Iceland into Norway by Tuesday 9th Sept then NW UK by Thursday 11th Sept. If SO2 emissions continue at present output do you foresee any Health issues for Countries down wind?

I don't know enough about the subject to give a definite opinion, I suspect that the SO2 is going up higher levels and being diluted all the time , so my thoughts are no not at the moment, but if this type of SO2 output continued for months then yes I think it would start having effects on some people. Only an opinion from an amateur and that is all.

The now 10-11sqkm lava field is still out gassing, in fact it gives off more SO2 than the erupting fissure according to Carl on VC Blog.

Still going on Mila Bada 1 post-4726-0-74152500-1409864170_thumb.jp  post-4726-0-81145900-1409865262_thumb.jp

200 meters ?  I think so post-4726-0-11578500-1409866068_thumb.jp

Scientists going home rather than a new vent I think  post-4726-0-39869400-1409866460_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

MACC has a five day forecast for different atmospheric levels.

http://macc-raq.gmes-atmosphere.eu/som_regrid_ens3D.php

• Like 1

Posted

MACC has a five day forecast for different atmospheric levels.

http://macc-raq.gmes-atmosphere.eu/som_regrid_ens3D.php

That is good I have not seen that one before, here is the noaa output now  http://satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/OMI/OMISO2/images/OMI_NH_SO2_DDC2.GIF

The Macc link has not factored in the Volcanic SO2 from Iceland yet. eg:-  @ 3000m http://macc-raq.gmes-atmosphere.eu/som_regrid_ens3D.php?datemodel=20140904&mod=ENS&niv=3000&param=so2 It has the Reykjavik urban outgassing on the other hand :unknw: I suppose it will given time.

Interesting;  Jon Frimann says "Toxic gas has been measured up to 6 km above the eruption craters." jon's comment at@ 22;49 Iceland time or there abouts.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

as an ex chemist, I have my doubts as to whither the S02 will have much effect on the winter unless we got a big bang. SO2 is a heavy gas and will stay in the lower atmosphere unless there is a big explosion. I think it needs to be in the upper troposphere or Stratosphere to affect our weather with Blocking.

I may be wrong, if I am can one of the experts put me right

• Like 1

Posted

That is good I have not seen that one before, here is the noaa output now  http://satepsanone.nesdis.noaa.gov/pub/OMI/OMISO2/images/OMI_NH_SO2_DDC2.GIF

The Macc link has not factored in the Volcanic SO2 from Iceland yet. eg:-  @ 3000m http://macc-raq.gmes-atmosphere.eu/som_regrid_ens3D.php?datemodel=20140904&mod=ENS&niv=3000&param=so2 It has the Reykjavik urban outgassing on the other hand :unknw: I suppose it will given time.

Interesting;  Jon Frimann says "Toxic gas has been measured up to 6 km above the eruption craters."

It does if you use the global forecast available from the home page. The question was about Europe so posted that link.

nrt_fields!Sulphur%20dioxide!Total%20col

http://www.gmes-atmosphere.eu/d/services/gac/nrt/nrt_fields!Sulphur%20dioxide!Total%20column!12!Global!macc!od!enfo!nrt_fields!2014090400!!/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

as an ex chemist, I have my doubts as to whither the S02 will have much effect on the winter unless we got a big bang. SO2 is a heavy gas and will stay in the lower atmosphere unless there is a big explosion. I think it needs to be in the upper troposphere or Stratosphere to affect our weather with Blocking.

I may be wrong, if I am can one of the experts put me right

LAKI was a fissure eruption and the gases didn't go high in the atmosphere but it radically changed weather patterns and caused a cooling which lasted a few years but that was a bigger fissure eruption than this but the so2 at low levels can still affect the weather in a big way it destroyed crops and that back then as well with acid rain and an acidic fog which was over Europe like I said though that was a far bigger eruption than this one LAKI was 27km long and has one of the biggest lava flows in the world.

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

Earthquakes Tsunamis â€@NewEarthquake 11m

5.2 earthquake, 104km WNW of Hofn, Iceland. Sep 5 01:19 at epicenter (20m ago, depth 4.9km). http://j.mp/1xhYn3Z

Posted

LAKI was a fissure eruption and the gases didn't go high in the atmosphere but it radically changed weather patterns and caused a cooling which lasted a few years but that was a bigger fissure eruption than this but the so2 at low levels can still affect the weather in a big way it destroyed crops and that back then as well with acid rain and an acidic fog which was over Europe like I said though that was a far bigger eruption than this one LAKI was 27km long and has one of the biggest lava flows in the world.

I agree with what you say there, but I was only referring to Blocking patterns. The acid rain and all the other problems --- they win depend solely on the size of the eruption.

Also, the Wikipedia entry (hopefully correct) says it started with phreatomagmatic explosions. That would have given the Initial burst into the high atmosphere.

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather
  • Like 1

Posted

Bada 2 the fissure , there might be further development in the foreground.

I think it may be steam rising out of the ground, this could be significant, saturated alluvial deposits are dangerous in situations like this, explosions can happen. post-4726-0-65521400-1409908613_thumb.jp

I emphasis can and might here, it may be nothing.

Is it bigger now and 2 of them ...post-4726-0-92798400-1409909136_thumb.jp  Fumaroles? 

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

I think it may be steam rising out of the ground, this could be significant, saturated alluvial deposits are dangerous in situations like this, explosions can happen. attachicon.gifBada 2 fissure.JPG

I saw what looked like steam a few days ago, but then again it might have been just dust blowing past the camera's.

I've been reading up about past eruptions in the 1700's and although we are nowhere near those at the moment the facts of the events just goes to show how insignificant life is on this planet and the ability of the earth to snuff us out in an instant!

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

I saw what looked like steam a few days ago, but then again it might have been just dust blowing past the camera's.

I've been reading up about past eruptions in the 1700's and although we are nowhere near those at the moment the facts of the events just goes to show how insignificant life is on this planet and the ability of the earth to snuff us out in an instant!

yet at no time has anything managed to 'snuff out' our ancestors ..

Posted

That is what I like about volcanoes they are so risky, its as interesting as storms or snow to me :rolleyes: I am still thinking fumaroles at the moment, I do not think they are like the dust devils we have been seeing here.

The fissure sure is doing some dark outgassing in the background today, bet the SO2 is sky high.  post-4726-0-47717100-1409909957_thumb.jp   post-4726-0-36102600-1409910186_thumb.jp

A Doppler radar truck has arrived to watch the explosion, sorry probably not, just arrived to watch and get data  :diablo:  post-4726-0-62050700-1409912153_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

I think it may be steam rising out of the ground, this could be significant, saturated alluvial deposits are dangerous in situations like this, explosions can happen. attachicon.gifBada 2 fissure.JPG

Is it bigger now and 2 of them ...attachicon.gifBada 2 fissure a.JPG  Fumaroles?

Good catch that. I wouldn't have seen them

Lots happening

Posted

so2 plume heading for us now

http://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/Images/ImageLibrary/DAT_2316893.html#plume

at the bottom of page you can get the animation for the last few days

Posted

http://www.ruv.is/frett/fyrsta-myndbandid-af-nyju-sprungunum

This is a good view. Is that the edge of the glacier bottom right?

Wording on the page translates as follows:

00:12 it is to the new fissure opened in the morning, close Dyngjujökli, and former crater. Lara Ómarsdóttir reporter took a video of the new volcanic rift just north of the perimeter Dyngjujökuls this morning is the first video clip of the new crack.

Edited by Freddie123
  • Like 1

Posted

Good catch that. I wouldn't have seen them

Lots happening

Thank you :hi:

Description snip post-4726-0-82914000-1409912754_thumb.jp

1.  Bada caldera in the background 11 Km across.

2.  The new fissure from overnight.

3.  Old fissure.

4.  Fumarole possibly.

5.  Dyngjujokull glacier.

More in the middle ground now  post-4726-0-94765200-1409913304_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 4

Posted

so2 plume heading for us now

http://www.eumetsat.int/website/home/Images/ImageLibrary/DAT_2316893.html#plume

at the bottom of page you can get the animation for the last few days

Thank you that certainly shows well.

Still developing in the middleground   post-4726-0-86056100-1409914140_thumb.jp

Oh I have just had a brainwave, I bet it is lava flowing on the surface from the oldest fissure, it is outgassing and steaming in contact with water on the alluvial floodplain....post-4726-0-79081200-1409914667_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer