Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I don't think that is working milkmaid,when you go to fullsceen it exits it,it doesn't usually do that.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I don't think that is working milkmaid,when you go to fullsceen it exits it,it doesn't usually do that.

Its raining and low cloud base atm vis is rubbish and its dark, plus the camera has crashed again I think.

post-4726-0-79482700-1409351996_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

video of the flight over the eruption area

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28977773

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

4.5M bardurbunga

Saturday
30.08.2014 02:35:34 64.676 -17.463 8.3 km 4.5 99.0 5.0 km NE of Bárðarbunga

Posted

Nothing exceptional overnight, a couple of quakes at M3 or larger but otherwise it's as you were

I say that and another M4.2 pops up DOH!!

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted

And now a huge 5.4 mag quake

Saturday

30.08.2014 07:03:02 64.611 -17.457 2.9 km 5.4 99.0

4.7 km SE of Bárðarbunga

The previous 4.2 was much deeper at 9.1 km.A quake over M5 at that depth (2.9km) will produce a lot of movement.  JP was talking about a flank collapse yesterday, this would suggest the east side is vulnerable, but may be held together by ice  --  until any mamga come through

I see you beat me to it John (great minds --  I hope)

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi norfolk

Tom beat us both :-)

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/2947

Several events have been detected on the caldera rim of Bárðarbunga, strongest were M4.5 at 02:35 and M4.2 at 06:18, both on the northern rim. A magnitude M5.4 earthquake occurred at 07:03 at the southern rim of Bárðarbunga caldera. Several events of similar size have occurred around the caldera rim in recent days. They are interpreted as being related to subsidence of the volcano due to volume decrease in the magma chamber beneath.

Its a shame we cannot see cams at present

Posted

Starting to think the Caldera is about to collapse two big Earthquakes again this morning might point to this as like John Pike mentioned due decrease magma.   Wonder if we seeing signs of repeat to 1477 eruption when Caldera at bárðarbunga collapsed.  Hope my feelings are wrong.

Posted

Nice clear view this morning - that will soon change!

Absolutely stunning skyscapes - Whats with the stationary column of cloud on the far right of the cam?  Is this a result of the heat/steam from yesterdays eruption or is it orographic?

edit - in answer to my own Q, it's parted a bit now and I can see there are snow capped peaks below so I guess orographic.  not sure of my bearings, would these peaks be the flanks askja?

Edited by swebby
  • Like 1

Posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKtGqoxV_qo#t=1387

New live stream on youtube as the other one has stopped.

The manually processed EQ's are the only reliable way of seeing how things are going when there are no fireworks, if you know what I mean. Caldera business as usual, fissure ditto. Couple of EQ's to SE of Askja though, must be down to the effects of the fissure intruding South of Askja, local adjustment I think nothing more yet

post-4726-0-86875000-1409394648_thumb.jp

post-4726-0-88309400-1409394660_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

I assume the activity now being seen around tungasfell is also related to the on-going activity at baroarbunga?

This is what I can find on jon frimann's blog http://www.jonfr.com/volcano/?cat=140

Posted

I assume the activity now being seen around tungasfell is also related to the on-going activity at baroarbunga?

This is what I can find on jon frimann's blog http://www.jonfr.com/volcano/?cat=140

I wonder is there  something like a leak going on there?

Also there is activity near Katla this morning, checked 99% and some a few minutes ago not manually corrected yet. See God top right 8 down on the attachment Godabunga is betwixt Katla and EJ on the ground.

post-4726-0-62779500-1409396097_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

I wonder is there  something like a leak going on there?

Also there is activity near Katla this morning, checked 99% and some a few minutes ago not manually corrected yet. See God top right 8 down on the attachment Godabunga is betwixt Katla and EJ on the ground.

That could be partly due to increased ice melt as the temperatures in Iceland are quite high this weekend thanks to the Hurricane remnants.

• Like 1

Posted

That could be partly due to increased ice melt as the temperatures in Iceland are quite high this weekend thanks to the Hurricane remnants.

Yes I think you are right there, never thought.

Posted

There's been similar activity there on recent summers.

Yes it usually gives lots of so called ice quakes, the locals say you can hear the ice breaking, mmmm creepy.

The Mila Barda 2 cam has a van in attendance atm "cable guy" screen was etc  :) It kind of feels homely and all is well in the world.....Iceland must be a great place hardly anybody there at all not overcrowded like here.

Though the chance of an inconvenient Volcanic eruption spoiling the BBQ is outrageous :nonono:

I snapped a screen shot looks like a dramatic past.....

post-4726-0-06939600-1409398066_thumb.jp

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes it usually gives lots of so called ice quakes, the locals say you can hear the ice breaking, mmmm creepy.

The Mila Barda 2 cam has a van in attendance atm "cable guy" screen was etc  :) It kind of feels homely and all is well in the world.....Iceland must be a great place hardly anybody there at all not overcrowded like here.

Though the chance of an inconvenient Volcanic eruption spoiling the BBQ is outrageous :nonono:

Yes, a stunning country! I am planning to visit next spring and I can't wait!

Posted

been inactive for last 24 hours assumed it was volume activity watching the stream poor mila bandwidth must be going through the roof.  By the way is cam 2 shakes wind effect or activity

Edited by vladthemert