Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold nightime minima in August

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

5.2C minimum here, pretty low for the time of year but it got down to 2.9C at the back end of August 2012, so certainly nowhere near being a record for this location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

I checked the temp at 11.30 last night and it was reading 7.9 degrees.The skies remained clear all night and the minimum temp was 0.8 when I checked at 9am.So pretty cold for August!!

• Like 1

Posted

Well after seeing some rural spots were at 5c at 11pm was very disappointed to find out it only got down to 3c in most places. Im guessing cloud cover was the issue. 4.7C min here comfortably beats the previous August record of 6.2c.

How far do you go back Vizzy, we had about 1.8C on 31st August 2012.

• Like 1

Posted

Last night's min temp of -1.9C at Katesbridge is a new August record for Northern Ireland. Beating -1.1C at Loughermore Forest in 1964.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map/#?map=WeatherCode&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01&fcTime=1408734000

According to met office it was 0.4 C ?

Posted

That was for the 24 hour period finishing at 10pm last night - obviously the lowest temperatures would have been early on the 24th, so both figures are correct, as you will surely see on the next update.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_latest_weather.html

• Like 1

Posted

-1.9C in Katesbridge on the 24th August 2014 - a new record low temperature for the month.

-18.7C in Castlederg on the 24th December 2010 - a new record low temperature for the month, and of any month.

It seems Northern Ireland is the place to be for record minima lately.

Edited by March Blizzard
  • Like 2

Posted

Not had any notable cold minima which would be the only possible area of interest from this dreadful cold autumnal spell.

Lowest just 6.0C as the wind never lets up which is why it is always the west that records lowest temperatures these days instead of the east.

Lowest in my records for August was 4.0C in 2012 with 2005, 2007, 2010 and 2011 also recording below 6C. So far this is the only summer since my records began in 2005 that the temperature has not fallen below 6C. In fact it's also the only one not to record below 5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

-1.9C in Katesbridge on the 24th August 2014 - a new record low temperature for the month.

-18.7C in Castlederg on the 24th December 2010 - a new record low temperature for the month, and of any month.

It seems Northern Ireland is the place to be for record minima lately.

But the record low temperatures in Northern Ireland are tame compared to the rest of the UK. -18.7C wouldn't be anywhere near a record in England, Scotland or Wales.

• Like 1

Posted

As stupidly cold as recent nights have been, I can't imagine experiencing a frost in August. I don't think I saw colder than Katesbridge did last night for the whole of last "winter".

Posted

Currently clear skies 3c  and a grass frost.  One of the  coldest mornings  I have ever seen in August here. Runner beans look droopy!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

But the record low temperatures in Northern Ireland are tame compared to the rest of the UK. -18.7C wouldn't be anywhere near a record in England, Scotland or Wales.

Bearing in mind that on average Ireland is even more Maritime than the rest of the UK with Continental Polar and Continental Tropical airmasses even more moderated than the UK I consider minima like -18.7C for winter and -1.9C for summer very remarkable for Northern Ireland.  Again considering Ireland's strong Maritime influences it is also remarkable that at least in recent years Ireland seems to have avoided the infamous cloud and/or wind issues which have all too often scuppered special low minima in the UK in recent years even in otherwise potent cold synoptics.  This quirky paradox again shows how very remarkable even a very Maritime climate like Ireland can be.

Edited by Craig Evans
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Clouds

Overcast night holding the temperature 10.9C

Just checked my records for the last 5 years and the lowest August temperature was 2010 31st August 2.2C

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Dropped to 7.8c here last night.

• Like 1

Posted

That's true but it's still impressive. The NI August record low is now just 0.1C warmer than the English record (-2.0C). Long standing records are still falling.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Dropped down to 3c last night; coldest August night since 2010, and the coldest night since May.

Posted Image

Real shame that it's mild, drizzly and moist weather for the next week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

That's true but it's still impressive. The NI August record low is now just 0.1C warmer than the English record (-2.0C). Long standing records are still falling.

taking ireland as a hole the august min record is -2.7c,30th aug 1964,rathdrum, county wicklow. Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Yes though bearing in mind that Katesbridge has only been recording since 1989, there's a reasonable chance it might have reported lower previously had it been in existence.

The -18.7°C from Castlederg is more significant having been in operation since the start of 1963.

Posted

Yes though bearing in mind that Katesbridge has only been recording since 1989, there's a reasonable chance it might have reported lower previously had it been in existence.The -18.7°C from Castlederg is more significant having been in operation since the start of 1963.

Granted, but you could say the exact same thing about Altnaharra, that's a relatively new station, isn't it?
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

An interesting note...I believe 1986 was the wettest bank holiday Monday affecting the whole country and was preceeded that day by a -3.4 deg temp in kilbrace ,highland............very similar to what we have now  !!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I would expect it to be lower, actually, considering how much warmer most of England is in August compared to Northern Ireland, and Northern Ireland being closer to cold sources in August. Come November, that changes, of course, when the continent starts to cool down.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

I would expect it to be lower, actually, considering how much warmer most of England is in August compared to Northern Ireland, and Northern Ireland being closer to cold sources in August. Come November, that changes, of course, when the continent starts to cool down.

Not sure, Kielder Castle is near the Scottish border at the same latitude as the northernmost point of Northern Ireland and a northerly flow may have low dewpoints as the air flows over Scotland, compared to coming directly off the sea into Ireland. Moor House is only a little further south but in an elevated valley at the ridiculous altitude of 556 metres, surprised this counts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

0.2C at the weather site across the valley from my mum's home in Highland Perthshire last night with a grass temp of -0.5C. A touch warmer than Friday's 0.1C. The site is above the valley floor facing South and is usually a bit warmer than the valley bottom so I suspect that she got an air frost. Her w/s is broken so I can't be sure though.

Here very close to the Tay estuary my min was 6C.

Posted

Finally got a notably cold reading last night with a min of 3.0C beating my previous record by 1C. Only 2005 and 2012 recorded lower temperatures in summer and in both cases during the first week of June. In 2006 it took until the first week of November to see such a low temperature.

Dyce min of 1.7C was the joint coldest (with 1995) in August since 1986.

• Like 1