Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

really..just been outside no warmer than the rest of the week..in fact it has now clouded over with a bit of a cool breeze kicking up.

Yes! It was a really nice morning here with clear blue skies and warm sunshine! It has got a bit cloudy now, but been out and most people are in summer clothing and I felt fine in a T-Shirt! :pardon:Bank holiday Monday isn't looking good at the moment!

Edited by lassie23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon

Another cool start this morning, nice day overall though, cooled down a degree and a half in the last hour with the cloud and breeze, so may be a light jacket for out and about but still warm inside to remain at t-shirt level.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well it reached 19C by 2pm, unfortunately then the cloud rolled in. I guess today was the best of a bad few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Tomorrow

Posted Image

Mainly light north westerly wind

Some rain or showers to start, but improving during the afternoon with just an isolate shower

Temperatures - Posted Image

16C in the north where there will be an onshore breeze, 18-20C in the southern half of the region.

Saturday

Posted Image

Light north to north westerly.

There is a disturbance so the chance of showers pushing southwards, some heavy.

Temperatures - 17-20C so feeling ok in the sunshine.

Sunday

Posted Image

Light westerly, veering southerly later

Looks fine with sunny spells. 

A touch warmer with temperatures around 18-21C.

• Like 1

Posted

really..just been outside no warmer than the rest of the week..in fact it has now clouded over with a bit of a cool breeze kicking up.

My thoughts exactly. In fact it's been the coldest night and day of the week, and quite probably the entire summer here, as confirmed by my local official Met Office station. ( Raf Northolt....4.3 miles away )

Minimum of 6c, crept up to 12c by 9am and only reached a max of 17c with very little in the way of sunshine.

Edited by Bluebreezer54

Posted

It was tee-shirt weather here, too, during the morning before it started clouding up. But then, I can't take my nearest MetO station (Northolt)'s records as being representative of my location as it's about 6 miles away and as well as the UHI effect, there are various local microclimate thingies to take into account.

Night all.

• Like 1

Posted

Bank holiday Monday

Posted Image

Still looks pretty bad, but there i a lot of uncertainty model wise with dry and wet options still on the table. So stay tuned to the fax and model updates as well as the weather forecasts on TV.

Night all

Posted

Cloudy start here, can see the skies brightening from the north so hopefully the sun will be out soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: calm and cold (im brontophobic)

Gutted im going to legoland Sunday and monday, cant believe its gunna be soggy :( hopefully the forecast changes, showers would be ok but not a whole day of rain

• Like 1

Posted

Been dry all day here, finally finish work and get the car in to have a new battery fitted and it starts to pee it down.

Whilst cool in the showers it is still warm if you don a top and I found I was quickly back to a t-shirt again.  Bank holiday weekend is looking "mixed" that is for sure, Monday looking to be the worst day of the three, that is my one fully free day off without any plans or work involved (I am working tomorrow), so for now my free day off I hope to include a lie in till at least 07:30/08:00 (that would be fantastic if I manage it) and some time with the family if I can walk there between showers and some artwork time in there too (my studio setup is next to the window so I can listen to the rain on the window as I work, may also stick some Enya on to listen to as well).

Posted

It was tee-shirt weather here, too, during the morning before it started clouding up. But then, I can't take my nearest MetO station (Northolt)'s records as being representative of my location as it's about 6 miles away and as well as the UHI effect, there are various local microclimate thingies to take into account.

Night all.

I find that my nearest weather station readings are usually 2 degrees cooler than what people in my area are getting on their weather stations in their gardens and that includes mine too! Must be like you say Crepuscular, a microclimate! Talking of temps, saw the BBC weather and on Saturday night, the temps in Central London could be as low as 8c :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: That means that someone in the suburbs or rural areas could see a frost! :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :shok: I've missed using the cold smiley, as you can see! :laugh: Bit early for the F word though!

• Like 4

Posted

methinks it is a tad early for frost in the S/SE yet awhile.

Posted

Hopefully it is a one night wonder as my tomatoes are just starting to ripen!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

Just had huge bolt of lightening,followed by thunder....it's been a great year for thunder and lightening! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It's definitely a whole month forward here in Suffolk. Looks like late September — the hawthorn and rowan berries are all red, but this year lasting as the birds haven't stripped them. Poplars are beginning to yellow and fall off the trees.

Another strange thing was my Autumn raspberries were over by the end of July. They're supposed to be late August/September.

I'm wondering whether we're in the early stages of another Little Ice Age — it was characterised by short summers.

• Like 1

Posted

Did we have a short summer?

mine is still chugging on here, berries still yet to fully ripen and have a rowen in the back garden.

Posted

Au contraire Jax. Several official weather stations in the South/ South East recorded minimums below 0c and a grass frost overnight August 20/21st. I can't find the link but those stations were Benson, Lyneham, Boscombe Down and Bournemouth ( Hurn ).

A good few more stations recorded minimums close to 0c. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see similar reports on Sunday morning.

• Like 1

Posted

Au contraire Jax. Several official weather stations in the South/ South East recorded minimums below 0c and a grass frost overnight August 20/21st. I can't find the link but those stations were Benson, Lyneham, Boscombe Down and Bournemouth ( Hurn ).

A good few more stations recorded minimums close to 0c. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see similar reports on Sunday morning.

Welcome to make me wrong :)

Posted

Welcome to make me wrong :)

It was not intended as a criticism Jax so I hope you haven't taken it that way. I was as surprised as anyone to learn that we have already had a ground frost in this region in August. :hi:

• Like 1

Posted

bright start here, off to Chelmsford to sign the contract for the flat I am moving into :)

Then off to see a musical in London so the weather can do as it pleases.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

Morning all

A bright dry start to the day has been had here, still sunny and only a light breeze, good drying weather.

It was not intended as a criticism Jax so I hope you haven't taken it that way. I was as surprised as anyone to learn that we have already had a ground frost in this region in August. :hi:

None taken my friend, more hoping it does not get that cold just yet, much is still fragile to such events and would rather it did not happen so soon (plus I hope to tempt my mother out in the morning for a car boot, if it is too cold  that will not be the case).

• Like 1

Posted

I looked on here http://www.weatherhq.co.uk/weather-station/lyneham but can't see anything below 5c* for any of the stations. Quite cool enough for August anyway. Iceni, We have a Euonymous in the garden which has wonderful autumn colours and is beginning to turn already, a good few weeks before usual. The bumper blackberry crop is also ripening off early, though we could do with some sun and warmth to finish it off. 

(Edit: *Benson went down to 3c at 4.50am 21-Aug)

Edited by stun12

Posted

I looked on here http://www.weatherhq.co.uk/weather-station/lyneham but can't see anything below 5c for any of the stations. Quite cool enough for August anyway. Iceni, We have a Euonymous in the garden which has wonderful autumn colours and is beginning to turn already, a good few weeks before usual. The bumper blackberry crop is also ripening off early, though we could do with some sun and warmth to finish it off. 

There was a bumper crop of blackberries along a school playing field near here, and in time honoured fashion the council have hacked it all back ready for the new school year just as the harvest was ready to collect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I looked on here http://www.weatherhq.co.uk/weather-station/lyneham but can't see anything below 5c for any of the stations. Quite cool enough for August anyway. Iceni, We have a Euonymous in the garden which has wonderful autumn colours and is beginning to turn already, a good few weeks before usual. The bumper blackberry crop is also ripening off early, though we could do with some sun and warmth to finish it off. 

yep...I live in the married quarters at RAF/MOD Lyneham, and whilst chilly, definitely wasn't 0c.....morning dew first thing but no frost.....Martin's right about tonight though as tonight with ground temps here projected to drop to 2c with an air temp of 4.5c

Posted

There was a bumper crop of blackberries along a school playing field near here, and in time honoured fashion the council have hacked it all back ready for the new school year just as the harvest was ready to collect.

I saw council staff picking the berries near my parents doctors on Weds. Must have had more sense than yours...lol (although I don't think that is classed as working).It is dry here today and I am just recovering after the weekly grass cut. A few light showers dotted about. It canrain now.Dry tomorrow please as we are at the Little Gransden airshow.
  • Like 2