Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, Snowy Winters

Massive storm just raged over Norwich. Haven't seen rain like that in a long time. Had a brief period of very heavy hail too and quite a light show!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Massive storm just raged over Norwich. Haven't seen rain like that in a long time. Had a brief period of very heavy hail too and quite a light show!

We were out near Brooke (S. Norfolk) and heard thunder as we were getting ready to leave.  Getting in the car was quite concerning as there were IC and CG strikes not far off.  As we drove through Poringland towards Norwich, we seemed to punch through the core of the southern cell in what appears on NW radar to my inexperienced eyes as an MCS.  Torrential rain, hail and frequent CG and IC strikes (though probably 2/3 of them CG IMO.  As we turned east, the intensity subsided as we were heading the opposite way to the cell, though we could still see flashes of lightning behind us illuminating the cloud structure.

All in all, I'm pretty sure that was the most violent sferics I can recall in October for many years, and certainly came as a surprise (I was expecting the odd hefty shower with perhaps the odd rumble, but not as many strikes as that or such torrential ppn).

Edited by chrisbell-nottheforecaster
  • Like 1

Posted

hi all

been a tad busy over a certain volcano

i hope your well

thought i would update tomorrow and monday as there could be some heavy rain and possible flooding for our region

tonight

after the rain and stormy stuff clears our north east it looks to be dry and clear

watch for mist and dense fog patches locally

tomorrow

PPVE89.gif?31415

a westerly flow first but veering south east later and likely to get gusty late pm

will start dry but from around 2pm on heavy rain starts to move in from the south

141011_1200_30.png

the far north of our region may stay dry all day but later on it will get to you

temps around 15-17 degrees

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sunday night

PPVG89.gif?31415

a gusty south east wind and will be quite strong far south east and kent regions

rainfall

141011_1200_36.png

141011_1200_42.png

heavy rain effecting all by morning but more noticeable the northern part of our region

temps around 10-12 degrees so not cold

early morning we have some cape there

39-505.GIF?11-12

so some of the early morning showers may become thundery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

monday

PPVI89.gif?31415

a gusty wind but will be variable due to the low as per the fax

rainfall

141011_1200_48.png

still heavy in places and will be slow moving

141011_1200_54.png

heavy rain still here but more effecting the far north of our region and some more heavier bursts the far south

48-505.GIF?11-12

there is some cape there but not a lot to tap into

the odd rumble in the heavier bursts is possible

by monday night

PPVJ89.gif?31415

141011_1200_60.png

the heavy rain still effecting the far north east of our region but should clear soon after

so keep your eyes on the met office warnings incase flooding becomes an issue

best regards

john

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

We were out near Brooke (S. Norfolk) and heard thunder as we were getting ready to leave.  Getting in the car was quite concerning as there were IC and CG strikes not far off.  As we drove through Poringland towards Norwich, we seemed to punch through the core of the southern cell in what appears on NW radar to my inexperienced eyes as an MCS.  Torrential rain, hail and frequent CG and IC strikes (though probably 2/3 of them CG IMO.  As we turned east, the intensity subsided as we were heading the opposite way to the cell, though we could still see flashes of lightning behind us illuminating the cloud structure.

All in all, I'm pretty sure that was the most violent sferics I can recall in October for many years, and certainly came as a surprise (I was expecting the odd hefty shower with perhaps the odd rumble, but not as many strikes as that or such torrential ppn).

Funny how us in Norfolk don't go into "OMG!!" mode when we get an absolute doozy of a storm! Initially only a couple of rumbles when it passed to my north, but within 30 mins it grew horns in a big way - I actually was in the van intending just to get some even cloudscapes so no tripod, remote blah blah as I really wasn't expecting it to develop as it did. I paused briefly on the way to Mattishall, superb IC and CGs, plus some large hail for a time, possible rotation but didn't get it on video as I was interrupted by the hail shaft! Stopped again at a good view point and just watched the clouds being lit up every few seconds, then went down the A47 towards Norwich still with this incredible light show as it got dark.  Came back towards Wymondham via Marlingford (wind damage observed - branches and tree debris on the road for about half a mile) and stopped off again as I thought the tail ender would still be very active as it had been really chucking out CGs previously. However it all died off, apart from lightning still visible out towards the coast about 40 miles away.

All in all the best storm for a decade! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Funny how us in Norfolk don't go into "OMG!!" mode when we get an absolute doozy of a storm! Initially only a couple of rumbles when it passed to my north, but within 30 mins it grew horns in a big way - I actually was in the van intending just to get some even cloudscapes so no tripod, remote blah blah as I really wasn't expecting it to develop as it did. I paused briefly on the way to Mattishall, superb IC and CGs, plus some large hail for a time, possible rotation but didn't get it on video as I was interrupted by the hail shaft! Stopped again at a good view point and just watched the clouds being lit up every few seconds, then went down the A47 towards Norwich still with this incredible light show as it got dark.  Came back towards Wymondham via Marlingford (wind damage observed - branches and tree debris on the road for about half a mile) and stopped off again as I thought the tail ender would still be very active as it had been really chucking out CGs previously. However it all died off, apart from lightning still visible out towards the coast about 40 miles away.

All in all the best storm for a decade! :)

Wow! Had thunder here today but the sun was out too and there was no rain! Clear night out and the yemps are already into single figures! 9.9c

Posted

wednesday

PPVM89.gif?31415

looks mainly dry but will be a gusty wind

temps around 17 degrees but locally may hit 19

wednesday night expect some heavy rain

thursday

PPVO89.gif?31415

a weaker westerly-south westerly flow

temps

141011_1200_120.png

could feel quite warm (humid)

rainfall

141011_1200_126.png

141011_1200_132.png

as the trough on the fax clips north we could see some more heavy and thundery showers

114-505.GIF?12-18

as ever these are subject to change

ukmo at 144

see bottom right

12_UKMet_H500_PSL_96_144.gif

have a guess :rofl:

anyway off to volcano land

bye :good:

• Like 4

Posted

With the storms dotted around over the last few days, why haven't more of you posted pictures?

(A genuine wonder and not a dig)

• Like 1

Posted

With the storms dotted around over the last few days, why haven't more of you posted pictures?

(A genuine wonder and not a dig)

look at mine from the other page.

Posted

look at mine from the other page.

I had, thanks. :-)

But I want more, especially daylight cloud pictures.

Edited by nicol@
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Nippy start out here at 5.1oC and some fog/mist, otherwise dry and calm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Fine start here, but even now high cloud is starting to spread up from the south. Tomorrow looks dreadful though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days
Posted

looking at the radar wont belong  before  its raining here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

What's it called when it's raining on the radar but not in reality? Yeah, that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

What's it called when it's raining on the radar but not in reality? Yeah, that.

Anaprop. False radar echoes. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Weather warning out now for our part of the world:-

Yellow Warning:

Bands of rain, often heavy, and accompanied by strong northeasterly winds for a time, will affect southern and eastern parts of England through Sunday night and at times during Monday. The rain will clear from the southeast by the morning, but further heavy, slow moving and potentially thundery showers are likely to occur.

The public should be aware of the risk of localised surface water flooding.

Chief Forecaster's Assessment: 

An area of low pressure moving north from France will bring a combination of rather persistent and sometimes heavy rainfall, as well as strong winds blowing from the northeast (gusting to 50 mph in places for a time). This combination is likely to lead to unpleasant conditions on the roads with surface water perhaps exacerbated by leaves blocking drains for example. The rain will clear from southeast England early on Monday morning, to be replaced by some sunshine, but also a risk of slow moving heavy, thundery showers.

10-25 mm of rain (starting early Sunday evening in the far south) is expected to fall widely in the warning area, with 30-50 mm possible over parts of southwest England and the West Country and also where showers line up into bands across east and southeast England."

I love the sound of rain driving against the window as I'm laid in my nice warm bed :) My pond also needs filling so hopefully a puddle may appear in the bottom of it by this time tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well my drive back from Southend was horrid, heavy rain and that north easterly wind is starting to kick in. Not pleasant at all.

Posted

It's just taken me 4 hours and 20 minutes to get from Hailsham to here. Bloody Southern Railways and their rail-replacement buses and signal failures.

The entire journey was accompanied by heavy rainfall, with cars aquaplaning on the A27 and A23.

• Like 1

Posted

It's just taken me 4 hours and 20 minutes to get from Hailsham to here. Bloody Southern Railways and their rail-replacement buses and signal failures.

The entire journey was accompanied by heavy rainfall, with cars aquaplaning on the A27 and A23.

Gotta love the fantastic!!!!! train service that Southern provide :clapping:

• Like 1

Posted

the way  the rain coming  downout side  dar say there could be problems with flooding in the morning!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Just arrived home too ahead of the rain band, we followed it up from London Colney as we left a bit later after getting news of problems around J12 on the M1 this evening, turned out the accident was southbound and it was just the rubberneckers on the northbound side (one we needed) causing the tailbacks.  Anyway the rain has just reached here too, the morning commute is not looking like fun for many in our area of the UK, have a relly flying out of Heathrow in the morning too, just as that low parks over London.