Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I see the forecast is for heavy rain all day tomorrow. Could be some quite bad flooding.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I see the forecast is for heavy rain all day tomorrow. Could be some quite bad flooding.

Anywhere in particular, or across the region?

Posted

Looks like almost everywhere, lassie. Can't remember how to find the chart things which give rainfall estimates....I blame my age.

Posted

Looks like almost everywhere, lassie. Can't remember how to find the chart things which give rainfall estimates....I blame my age.

LOL! I am trying to watch the BBC weather forecast online but keep getting an internal error message!

Posted

Netweather's front page has a forecast including an estimate for rainfall. http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=wira;sess=

34.6mm for me apparently. Dampish then. Could be an inside day with beer, instead of an outside day with cocktails. Boo. I gave up and moved the barbeque back into the garage today. It's been too cold for a couple of weeks now, after a rather splendid June and July. Tales of minus temps in Northern Ireland overnight are interesting, as are the precursor ice formations in the Scottish Highlands which precede glaciers (by quite a long time, just in case we scare anyone!). Snowy winter ahead? Pleeeeeze. 

Posted

Thanks, Jules. That's the one. Take an umbrella. Chilly too, by all accounts. High of 14c for around here according to MetO. Brr.

Posted

Netweather's front page has a forecast including an estimate for rainfall. http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=wira;sess=

34.6mm for me apparently. Dampish then. Could be an inside day with beer, instead of an outside day with cocktails. Boo. I gave up and moved the barbeque back into the garage today. It's been too cold for a couple of weeks now, after a rather splendid June and July. Tales of minus temps in Northern Ireland overnight are interesting, as are the precursor ice formations in the Scottish Highlands which precede glaciers (by quite a long time, just in case we scare anyone!). Snowy winter ahead? Pleeeeeze. 

I heard that it was very cold in Ireland too. Some think a new mini ice age is about to begin! :cold:  :cold:  :cold:  :cold:  :cold:  Are they mistaken! :unknw: You can have indoor cocktails followed by beer! I'll be barbequing until November, unless it snows!

Posted Image

Thanks Sussex Jules! Looks grim! Best go with grim, all others ways to describe tomorrow won't get past the swear filter!

Posted

I heard that it was very cold in Ireland too. Some think a new mini ice age is about to begin! :cold:  :cold:  :cold:  :cold:  :cold:  Are they mistaken! :unknw: You can have indoor cocktails followed by beer! I'll be barbequing until November, unless it snows!

Thanks Sussex Jules! Looks grim! Best go with grim, all others ways to describe tomorrow won't get past the swear filter!

Onions all the way down. Grim seems to be ok though. I'm no expert on the climate thing but I do read a lot about it on the various websites...a continuing cooler period seems to be quite possible. But you know what the pundits always say is always caveated with maybes, possibles, not inconsistent with's...actually anything other than haven't-got-a-clue's. I'm just pleased to see snow has been back on the agenda (apart from last winter which was another onions show). Whilst I look forward to it with glee, the additional cost to heat the houses of elderly people, who need it the most and are least able to afford it, caused by the renewables fetish, is probably best dealt with elsewhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Definitely looks like a duvet day tomorrow!

oh yeah I am hiding under mine thats for sure.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Netweather watch out for tomorrow into Tuesday: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=weather-alerts;reg=7;sess=974302df5927fb9f93b9caeef7ab5315

12z GFS indicating an area of 50-60mm(+) totals near our area by end of play on Tuesday:

post-1052-0-16042200-1408914938_thumb.gi

Edited by Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Back from Scotland to find a reading of 5.1c on my staton from this morning..... Odd

Local stations reported 8.5c overnight, which seems more accurate. Will have to keep an eye on this!

Edited by Essex Easterly.

Posted

Fair do's, but the stations I quoted recorded a GRASS minimum of 0c or lower and I took that to mean a ground frost but apologise if that is not the case. The official temperatures are recorded at a height of 2 metres above grass level, which probably accounts for the difference.

Apology withdrawn  8)  Further research on a number of weather websites seem to confirm what I thought, that grass minimums of 0c or lower do count as a 'ground/grass frost'.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/frost/types-of-frost

http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

it doesn't really matter to be honest, as there was certainly no ground frost at Lyneham regardless of the temperature criteria for classical definitions for the term grass frost are...... :)

Posted
12-hour values ending 2014Aug21-0600GMTMin Grass 12h YesterdayTemp Min Rain Sun Location© © (mm) (h)5.6 3 .2 05.3 Shawbury3.4 2 .0 //./ Shobdon3.4 0 .2 Hereford Credenhill4.2 -2 tr Pershore <------5.5 3 tr //./ Coleshill6.5 3 .0 //./ Church Lawford5.3 3 .0 //./ Little Rissington5.5 2 .2 05.7 Brize Norton2.7 -1 .0 Benson <------6.7 0 .2 High Wycombe6.3 5 .0 05.4 Wittering6.4 4 .0 //./ Holbeach5.6 2 .0 Marham8.1 .. .2 Weybourne5.8 5 tr //./ Bedford5.8 2 .0 //./ Rothamsted5.0 1 tr 06.4 Wattisham5.2 3 .2 Andrewsfield8.0 5 .0 Shoeburyness8.9 6 001.0 Chivenor6.8 1 .0 03.4 Filton6.3 4 .0 //./ Liscombe11.5 7 .0 Scilly St Marys8.0 3 .0 07.4 Camborne6.4 1 .0 Culdrose RNAS7.8 4 .0 //./ Cardinham6.0 2 .0 Plymouth5.9 3 tr Dunkeswell4.8 1 .0 11.8 Yeovilton6.0 2 .0 Northolt5.5 -1 .0 06.6 Lyneham <------3.5 -1 .0 Larkhill <------4.2 -1 .0 Boscombe Down <------4.5 3 .0 Middle Wallop6.8 2 .2 07.8 Odiham4.7 1 .0 South Farnborough3.6 2 .0 08.1 Charlwood.0 St James Park7.6 3 .0 07.0 Heathrow7.1 2 .0 //./ Kenley8.3 .. Gravesend9.0 .. Langdon Bay7.8 5 .0 //./ Manston12.1 10 .0 Isle of Portland2.7 -1 .0 10.3 Bournemouth Hurn <------10.7 8 .0 St Catherines Point5.7 1 .0 //./ Thorney Island8.0 .. Solent MRSC5.0 .. .0 Shoreham6.1 3 .0 07.2 Herstmonceux

it doesn't really matter to be honest, as there was certainly no ground frost at Lyneham regardless of the temperature criteria for classical definitions for the term grass frost are...... :)

Posted

i think its a  day  to tidy out the garage!!!!

Posted

Morning all

very wet here already and the worse is still yet to come if the BBC local Look East forecast is right, I have already planned ahead for today so all jobs outside have been done just need to nip to the shop.  Inside jobs however I have many to get done.

Feeling a lot cooler/fresher, that I suspect is more to do with the damp, cloud and breeze as it is already 13oC in the shed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: calm and cold (im brontophobic)

Well I'm off for a day in legoland!! Have u seen the radar :0

Posted

lego floats so you will be fine :crazy:

• Like 2

Posted

Patchy drizzle here at the moment! Hope you dodge the heavy rain in Legoland!

Posted

Horrible day the rain looks to devour most of the day.

Very chilly night time values :cold:

Edited by Daniel*

Posted

At least there shouldn't be any queues!Feel sorry for anyone who's organised an event today, it takes a lot of time and often given free by volunteers to get something organised.

Word for the day.....Yuck! 

No excuse not to catch up on the ironing and housework today.

• Like 1

Posted

looking at the  radar  things going  to get very  wet here soon!!