Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England, East Anglia & Central Southern England Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Did we have a short summer?

mine is still chugging on here, berries still yet to fully ripen and have a rowen in the back garden.

Perhaps it's our altitude... which is quite high for E Anglia. None of the blackberries are ready but we were picking lovely ripe ones when we visited Sutton Hoo on the Deben estuary.

I looked on here http://www.weatherhq.co.uk/weather-station/lyneham but can't see anything below 5c* for any of the stations. Quite cool enough for August anyway. Iceni, We have a Euonymous in the garden which has wonderful autumn colours and is beginning to turn already, a good few weeks before usual. The bumper blackberry crop is also ripening off early, though we could do with some sun and warmth to finish it off. 

(Edit: *Benson went down to 3c at 4.50am 21-Aug)

Don't know about ground frosts but noticed heavy dews at sunset on the lawn. It just feels like late September and usually the rowan berries only last a few days because the birds are hungry by the time they're ripe. But they've been red for a week or so and look lovely - perhaps we'll be able to enjoy the sight of them for another few weeks.

I hope we have a lovely winter with lots of snow and frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Perhaps it's our altitude... which is quite high for E Anglia. None of the blackberries are ready but we were picking lovely ripe ones when we visited Sutton Hoo on the Deben estuary.

Don't know about ground frosts but noticed heavy dews at sunset on the lawn. It just feels like late September and usually the rowan berries only last a few days because the birds are hungry by the time they're ripe. But they've been red for a week or so and look lovely - perhaps we'll be able to enjoy the sight of them for another few weeks.

I hope we have a lovely winter with lots of snow and frost.

My car and me share some common traits, that being as we get older we find the cold and damp harder to contend with, we both have difficulty starting in the morning, joints are not what they used to be and we struggle to keep going as the colder and damper conditions encrouch.

Posted

Very dark skies approaching from the west!

Yep and it dumped it's rain on what was, a sunny Sydenham. 

15c wearing a fleece and picking blackberries in my garden in the rain. Feels very autumnal for August. 

I hope there's an Indian summer to look forward to as I'm not ready for wet and windy weather yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Yep and it dumped it's rain on what was, a sunny Sydenham. 

15c wearing a fleece and picking blackberries in my garden in the rain. Feels very autumnal for August. 

I hope there's an Indian summer to look forward to as I'm not ready for wet and windy weather yet.

I avoided the heavy rain here, the shower suddenly took a sharp turn and all cleared away to the SE! How are the watermelon plants?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Looks like we're about to get hit by some heavy rain.

Posted

Looks like we're about to get hit by some heavy rain.

There are some pretty heavy showers around at the moment! I don't mind missing them as the garden will get watered on Monday, by that huge area of heavy rain that is forecast to hit!

Posted

Warm and sunny here (just walked to the shop in a t-shirt to get some tinnies for dr who viewing later)

Posted

I avoided the heavy rain here, the shower suddenly took a sharp turn and all cleared away to the SE! How are the watermelon plants?

Looking daggers at me for growing them outside in the cold. Plenty of flowers but no fruit yet and I think it's too late this year now, so hubby may have won the bet. But there's always next year ;)

Are there any autumn forecasts out yet? I've not been able to find any.

• Like 1

Posted

Looking daggers at me for growing them outside in the cold. Plenty of flowers but no fruit yet and I think it's too late this year now, so hubby may have won the bet. But there's always next year ;)

Are there any autumn forecasts out yet? I've not been able to find any.

I'll have a look for any autumn forecasts and post the link in here if I find any! I might try and grow some water melons again next year!

• Like 2

Posted

Suggest you read: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/melonsNo rain here as yet, temp down to 13c however feels more like 8c in cold breeze.

Posted

Showers around but missed them.

Warm in the sun, not so when it clouded over. Now looking very autumnal.

• Like 1

Posted

I might try and grow some water melons again next year!

Show off! :p

Suggest you read: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/melonsNo rain here as yet, temp down to 13c however feels more like 8c in cold breeze.

I know how to grow them, I just wanted to see if I could without a greenhouse and a shadyish south facing garden. I have a £1 bet with hubby that I could. I'll do it next year, I've found a better spot and I'll keep the cover on more often. I do like a challenge.

I use this site to get outside temps, does anyone know if it's reliable?  http://weather.lgfl.org.uk/map.aspx?view=london

• Like 1

Posted

Show off! :p

Pea sized ones Lol! I Only managed to grow one the size of a orange once, all other times the plant has shriveled and died! :cray: I think it was that year when we hit 37c in the SE, forget what year that was!

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted

I looked on here http://www.weatherhq.co.uk/weather-station/lyneham but can't see anything below 5c* for any of the stations. Quite cool enough for August anyway.

(Edit: *Benson went down to 3c at 4.50am 21-Aug)

yep...I live in the married quarters at RAF/MOD Lyneham, and whilst chilly, definitely wasn't 0c.....morning dew first thing but no frost.....Martin's right about tonight though as tonight with ground temps here projected to drop to 2c with an air temp of 4.5c

Fair do's, but the stations I quoted recorded a GRASS minimum of 0c or lower and I took that to mean a ground frost but apologise if that is not the case. The official temperatures are recorded at a height of 2 metres above grass level, which probably accounts for the difference.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Pea sized ones Lol! I Only managed to grow one the size of a orange once, all other times the plant has shriveled and died! :cray: I think it was that year when we hit 37c in the SE, forget what year that was!

That would have been 2003. Got to 38C here.

The trick with melons is to use a 'hot bed' to grow them in. Basically it's a compost heap which heats up and keeps the roots warm.

• Like 1

Posted

The trick with melons is to use a 'hot bed' to grow them in. Basically it's a compost heap which heats up and keeps the roots warm.

Thank you, that's a great idea  :good:  I made one of those at college many moons ago. I'm going to make a mini one next year.

Beautiful morning here, shame it's only 10c, but at least it's sunny :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Sunny and chilly start here in Benfleet. Moving stuff across to Chelmsford so hoping that the weather will stay fair. Looks good in that regard  :good:

Posted

That's the one, 2003 thanks! You were a degree higher than London! I put glass on top of the pot that year to get the green house effect! Then i tried growing water melons in the garden soil, rather than in pots! That failed due to bad summers, I then went back to pots but have never been able to grow one the size of an Orange, that is edible, again! Really do need a fine sunny August and September to achieve this! Last night got down to 8.1c, not quite as cold as first expected here in London! Wonder how other areas of our region got on?

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted

That's the one, 2003 thanks! You were a degree higher than London! I put glass on top of the pot that year to get the green house effect! Then i tried growing water melons in the garden soil, rather than in pots! That failed due to bad summers, I then went back to pots but have never been able to grow one the size of an Orange, that is edible, again! Really do need a fine sunny August and September to achieve this! Last night got down to 8.1c, not quite as cold as first expected here in London! Wonder how other areas of our region got on?

6.6c at dawn here. Has been a pleasant day since, though I have been using a brushcutter so it's probably not as warm as I think it is.

Posted

Afternoon all

After an early start which was cool rather than cold the morning warmed up a treat, which was handy as I did manage to get out very early and pitch a carboot, also handy as whilst it never made me mega money it did make some and has cleared a couple more boxes of tat and such that I no longer want.  Clouded over here now, but no rain yet (did check the radar as well), still feeling mild, was down to a t-shirt by 08:00 and that was standing out not sat in the car, tonight and tomorrow however are looking less settled, that may well be the trigger for my day in (after a well earned lie in).

Posted

6.6c at dawn here. Has been a pleasant day since, though I have been using a brushcutter so it's probably not as warm as I think it is.

Wow! That is cold for August! Started sunny here but has clouded over now! Tonight and tomorrow's weather is best described as onions!

Posted

Wow! That is cold for August! Started sunny here but has clouded over now! Tonight and tomorrow's weather is best described as onions!

Pickled or fried? It does indeed look horrible, but it is August BH, so it was only to be expected I suppose. Looks like it's really slow-moving if it's the same one as is currently infesting the Bristol Channel. L&SE weather is talking flood risk and 30-60mm of rain. MetO have a yellow warning out for most of the country.

Posted

And just had a stroll to the next village and was back to a t-shirt in no time after a short stint in a hoody, very mild feeling again, more so when the sun pops out, still more cloud than blue sky though, breeze has all but gone though.