Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales, the Midlands & South West England Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

A chilly 3.4C, clear skies and calm. Very nice autumnal morning.

As an aside, will this thread be split into the west country, west midlands, and wales threads for winter?

Edited by picog

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Morning Picog, Yes as soon as the weather gets "interesting" the threads will be split again.

• Like 2

Posted

Morning Picog, Yes as soon as the weather gets "interesting" the threads will be split again.

Great news. Thanks PM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Dry and bright but chillier this morning at 6.8C in a light SW wind.. Live data here:

http://www.norton-ra...o.uk/index.html

Posted

Goodo, absolutely nothing personal but I have felt throughout this period that there is too great a difference between weather conditions in N and S of the 'new region' to make this grouping relevant. OK, on many days it can be very quiet in the S or SW but that is only because there is nothing noteworthy to report. A UK-wide 'compare the weather' thread might be more suitable for those trying to get a real time overview of what is happening where and to monitor squall lines / thunderstorms tracking across the UK.

For the future I wonder if SW would group better with Southern UK for summer months as we share an interest in activity streaming N off the continent and coastal effects (sea fog etc). It is probably in winter that SW might share interest with Wales / Midlands as we watch to see how far snow tracks N or S to see if it might reach 'us'.

I appreciate that my comments might be a bit NIMBY as with my location I spend quite a bit of time looking in the South thread anyway - as also monitoring weather forecasts for the S / SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Cooler and nice crisp morning here with the cirrus being pushed towards the south east and the sun just pushing above the cloud as it retreats.

Temperature here 5.7C at 08:15

MIA

Re debate above:

I think Midlands and Wales go reasonably well together. Probably Wales and the South west also.

So I can see the logic in the current situation.

Surely it depends upon the wind direction as to which 'neighbour', you're interested in?

Recently (well for a year now) the south and south westerlies have dominated. It is now looking as though the wind may start to back to westerly (in which cast the showers move along the south coast as per last night), but what happens when the wind turns more northerly or possibly north east (I hope).

Surely the debate is aceademic as the winter is nearly open us and we will have our own threads.

The debate could be relevent for next year though.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

God it feels like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders this morning after all that horrid humid weather, so much fresher today, feels just fantastic, please don't ever come back humid weather, today is what it should be like all year round at the very least.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well I managed to miss most of the rain here with only 2mm overnight, despite all that out west at bedtime!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

9.5°C here, in the midst of a 64mm/hr downpour though. :)

12mm so far, a bit more to come by the looks of it?!

post-15177-0-95980500-1415010952_thumb.p

12hr accumulations..

post-15177-0-21541800-1415011082_thumb.p

Yesterday's lightning..

post-15177-0-92489500-1415011172_thumb.p

Posted

A much cooler day with some sunny spells, Temp 7.8c Wind Chill 6.1c Dp 5.5c. Rain/showers expected to move in mid-afternoon which should drop temps further.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Broken cloud with sunshine.  10.4c. Dry.

Posted

Quite a change to have a single figure temperature at this time of day! 8.6c and cloudy with recent showery rain, frustratingly clear to the N/NW as it as been all day so far.

It seems a difference from the forecast last night and even this morning is that the frontal pulses of rain are 75 miles further W than shown and therefore so is the region getting cloudy/dry conditions as well as the clear sunny area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The brightness has finally arrived here Andy and it's lovely, if still a little on the chilly side. I can see cbs out to the west but things are happening so slowly today that I don't think anything will arrive here.

Posted

Already 6.5c on the Davis, Lovely deep blue sky.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

5c at home at the moment, how lovely to see some real autumn weather  :hi:

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

What a difference a few miles makes!  I've been over near Muchelney for most of the day and it's been dry, bright and, this afternoon, sunny.  Home here there's been quite heavy rain late morning and in to early afternoon.  Chilly feel in both places.

Posted

0.8 degrees at 6am this morning! The coldest so far! Wrap up today it's going to be cold!!

Posted

Morning, after another night of lightning, we are currently @

2.8°C (37.4°F), Apparent temp 1.6°C

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Clear sky's here with a ground Frost, Temp 0.9c no wind at all.

Posted

First night when the temperature has continuously been <1C. Proper air frost for about 3 hours too, lovely white grass and car. Minimum -0.7C.