Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales, the Midlands & South West England Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Interestingly it's rather a weaker front than forecast as not only does it appear showery on the radar but some of it isn't reaching the ground to the intensity suggested by the radar (here anyway). That's after yesterday's rain which was more widespread and heavier than forecast. Not having a good week are they!

Really cannot wait for a convective day tomorrow as that will mean sunshine too. Although it did shine hazily briefly a few hours ago.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Cloud breaking a little now and starting to dry up after this mornings drizzle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Hi all,

I'm back... 4 months with no internet has meant I haven't popped on here as much as liked. Hope everyone is ok, getting ready for the winter? We have moved house and I now have an unobstructed view of the mendips from our new house - looking forward to some snowfall.

The weather we have at the moment is so depressing. But lets hope for some thunder to change that - this summer has seen some fantastic storms for my area.

Take care all 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Interesting TM....

Have you observed this effect before or is it the first time that such a difference has been observed?

MIA

I have observed it before but not often. It's only when rainfall occurs after a long dry spell or when a heavy snowfall melts early in winter or during late autumn (when the earth temperatures at depth are still high ) that it's noticeable.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Third consecutive day without a hint of brightness, let alone real sunshine. :cray:  At least the rain is looking more patchy and less intense than forecast for this afternoon, which is good news for me as I have to drive along the A37 to Dorchester and that's a tad exposed to the winds and rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

I have observed it before but not often. It's only when rainfall occurs after a long dry spell or when a heavy snowfall melts early in winter or during late autumn (when the earth temperatures at depth are still high ) that it's noticeable.

Thanks TM...

Did it take a similar period of time to drain down?

MIA

I'm not sure if its related but I haven't seen many mushrooms since this wet spell started. Normally at this time of year with all the rain and some cool temps there should be loads about but only a few. I'm thinking after the ground being so dried and hardened in September it's taking a while for the rain to get down and for the fungi to take advantage of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

15.3°C - Barely enough rain to wet the ground. 0.1mm recorded. It was painted as a very wet afternoon by forecasts, quite the opposite. Hopefully the showers tomorrow will change that, in a fairly good spot for them hopefully. :)

I'll gladly take this forecast...   :good:

post-15177-0-03545000-1413378997_thumb.p

Spoke too soon, the heavens have opened! 

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Looks like some thundery showers on the way for this area tonight. Now, who's going to get them? Mapantz?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

4th day in a row with no sun, there was nothing on Sunday either despite a dry day. Today's front started with thundery sized raindrops and convective bursts of rain before settling into persistent light rain which is now drizzle with not a breath of wind.

Looks like Cornwall is poking out from behind the cloud on sat24 with thundery showers beyond that. Maybe some brightness tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Rain total at the moment  48.5mm  for the month .. That is 3x the amount of September. More still falling.. and only  half way through the month....

Posted

Clearance just coming through, only about an hour later than forecast this morning.

Journey along the A37 was not a pleasant one, a great deal of spray, wipers on full and idiots overtaking in low visibility.  Never mind, I'm home now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

So they have allowed Madden out of his box again, and dosed him up on his "forecasting snow" obsession tablets.

Wellies and brollies at the ready then...or maybe it'll be a Bartlett winter..exceptionally mild.

Posted

Turned pretty wet here. 6.7mm so far. 118.1mm for the month.

Absolutely tipping down!  Drops are really close together if you get what I mean? :laugh 

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Some bright yellow / orange hue to the clouds, must be the angle of the sunset lighting up the cloud tops, better than a grey end to the day I guess!!

Posted

12.1mm fell from that front in the end, that surprised me!

Looks like some thundery showers on the way for this area tonight. Now, who's going to get them? Mapantz?

Who knows?! But I'd say that many of us stand a good chance,  particularly on the coast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Thanks TM...

Did it take a similar period of time to drain down?

MIA

A similar length of time after a long dry spell in spring or summer but a day or two faster with snow melt in late autumn/early winter.

The latter is probably because the ground is already moist and the surface layer doesn't have to be wetted before the percolation can begin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

TM...

Thank you very much for the info. Its something I hadn't thought about before, with my kitchen garden.

It is interesting to know how long it takes and also how long presumably a change on the surface temp (if ground conditions are wet) to get down into the ground.

Once again thanks.

MIA.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

12.1mm fell from that front in the end, that surprised me!

Who knows?! But I'd say that many of us stand a good chance,  particularly on the coast. 

Yeah, I would say you are correct there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Shall I get the suntan lotion ready then? ;)