Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales, the Midlands & South West England Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

There's certainly the potential for some very wet weather over the next week and possibly beyond but I think it will really take something to be wetter than November 2009 which had well over 200mm in this location. Funnily enough, it's the rPm and Pm convective spells that bring the heaviest falls here a la Fri/Sat just gone rather than the frontal rain that is being experienced at the moment. November 2009 had a lot of that, especially from the 03rd-07th and the 22nd-29th.

The next batch of raining is starting now... should start to recurve NW as it heads north so look like a wet evening and night for SW England and Wales esp. I suspect that heavy stuff out to our SW is where we may get some thundery activity later tonight.

There's certainly the potential for some very wet weather over the next week and possibly beyond but I think it will really take something to be wetter than November 2009 which had well over 200mm in this location. Funnily enough, it's the rPm and Pm convective spells that bring the heaviest falls here a la Fri/Sat just gone rather than the frontal rain that is being experienced at the moment. November 2009 had a lot of that, especially from the 03rd-07th and the 22nd-29th.

Will indeed take a lot to beat November 2009, the wettest month I've recorded with 465mm. Although with currently 190mm if we get continued disturbed weather into the latter part of the month who knows. Currently going at the right rate.

Edited by Bobby

Posted

The next batch of raining is starting now... should start to recurve NW as it heads north so look like a wet evening and night for SW England and Wales esp. I suspect that heavy stuff out to our SW is where we may get some thundery activity later tonight.

Will indeed take a lot to beat November 2009, the wettest month I've recorded with 465mm. Although with currently 190mm if we get continued disturbed weather into the latter part of the month who knows. Currently going at the right rate.

WHAT?! That's an insane monthly total, surely a very hard one to beat even in the Valleys.

Looks like some much more intense rain to come a bit later.

WHAT?! That's an insane monthly total, surely a very hard one to beat even in the Valleys.

Looks like some much more intense rain to come a bit later.

It is although we came fairly close last winter with 404mm in December, 394mm in January and 422mm in February. So if we get a really disturbed autumn/winter month we can get 400m+ totals. 400mmin January for example is less than 200% the 225m average.

Looking at those numbers last winter really was crazy :shok:. Probably be a long time before we see the likes again. Not to mention the monster storms.

Posted

It is although we came fairly close last winter with 404mm in December, 394mm in January and 422mm in February. So if we get a really disturbed autumn/winter month we can get 400m+ totals. 400mmin January for example is less than 200% the 225m average.

Looking at those numbers last winter really was crazy :shok:. Probably be a long time before we see the likes again. Not to mention the monster storms.

Wow, I didn't realise such high totals (200mm +/-) were so common in your neck of the woods. Compare that to 131.0mm / 188.0mm / 156.8mm respectively here and that is pretty impressive. Indeed last winter was quite extraordinary, probably as rare as December 2010.

Top 10 wettest months since 2000 here are:

Nov 2009: 275.6mm

Nov 2002: 236.4mm

Nov 2012: 195.2mm

Oct 2004: 194.4mm

Oct 2000: 193.8mm

Jan 2014: 188.0mm

Sep 2012: 175.3mm

Dec 2012: 172.4mm

Aug 2014: 167.3mm

Nov 2000: 162.3mm

No wonder November is the wettest month of the year!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I hope you're right :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I seemed to have been lucky here, it was meant to be wet all day but it has been dry for 4 or 5 hours now. I managed to sneak some shopping in at Poole without getting wet.

Currently 12.5°C and 13.8mm of rain since midnight.

Posted

30.8mm here, since the rain started at 8pm yesterday.

Always nice to see..

post-15177-0-37366700-1415729578_thumb.p

I've accurately and sophistically highlighted the next area of interest..

post-15177-0-17612000-1415729799_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

The rain has been torrential here in Exeter for the last hour or so, though intermittently. In the higher parts the roads have turned into rivers and I suspect that there may be surface water flooding lower down, similar to the floods we had here a couple of weeks ago. 

Posted

Well at this rate there won't be anything here as it's all sliding by towards Wales or just dissipating. Need that swing in wind direction to bring anything here.

Posted

A very heavy showery band back home a few hours ago and again just now. 

Weather station just recorded a rainfall rate of 101mm/hr. That shot the daily total (since midnight) up to 30.0mm (surprisingly the first day this year over 25mm).

Total since yesterday evening 40.4mm (that will be a slight underestimate compared to the manual gauge). 

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted

The area of interest I pointed out earlier may come to fruition in the way of some thunder & lighting. The MO update thinks so..

post-15177-0-93669300-1415747503_thumb.p

I wish us luck!

Posted

1220mm I make that total for last winter- that's almost twice the annual average here! Absolutely insane.

Posted

Very grey skies and incredbly dark this morning - it seems as though it should be about 0630 rather than 0715! Currently dry, mild and breezy.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

An overcast morning here to, With overnight showers leaving 1.2mm, Temp 10c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

After a very showery start things look a little better now in another relatively mild start 8.9C. Other data here:-

http://www.norton-radstockweather.co.uk/index.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Good term - Intense shower - it passed through here at about 08:00.

Just steady rain since.

Temperature at 8.6C

MIA

Posted

Sounds like a good idea.

Whilst there is an affinity between Wales and the Westcountry and in sharing similar weather patterns - it's not so easily done with the Midlands(!).

Just an opinion for future reference! :)

Edited by marclt

56mm in the end from that system, pretty much spot on what the EURO4 was predicting.

Sounds like a good idea.

Whilst there is an affinity between Wales and the Westcountry and in sharing similar weather patterns - it's not so easily done with the Midlands(!).

Just an opinion for future reference! :)

I wouldn't mind being with SW England either. A Wales thread alone might be a bit dead unless there's cold/snow on the way.