Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales, the Midlands & South West England Weather Discussion

A.J

I'll get this in before the thread closes... The scene at burrowbridge at 9.30am this morning... Not good!

Currently 3 flood warnings and 20+ alerts for this region. More rain tomorrow and Friday, not as much as previously predicted but another inch or so perhaps.

nmm-25-54-0_dny5.png

My parents have read the manual gauge which recorded 50.6mm over the last 2 days. 

Davis recorded 43.4mm so as I thought it is under-reading.

I like the convenience of a automatic rain gauge but would never trust them for accuracy. I can only trust the reading when I can see the rain that's fallen in the manual gauge with my own eyes. Am a bit of a luddite though, even my temp/pressure/humidity etc is through analog instruments!

EA flood map http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/flood/142151.aspx

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

That certainly isn't good, dec10snow.  I was over at Drayton last week and things didn't look too bad there.

12.4mm to 09.00, now bright and breezy since the cloud cover moved east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

36.2mm has fallen in 36 hours here.

122.2mm for the month.

I agree about the manual gauge. I have a manual one, my Davis one and my Netatmo one. They are all spot on with eachother if it isn't blowing a hoolie, in which case, the Davis under reads. I usually offset it by the manual gauge at the end of the day, so the results are accurate at the end of the month/year.

Currently 11.2°C and sunny spells. I have seen quite a bit of mammatus today, on showers sliding to my south east.

Warnings update: dhttp://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1416009600&regionName=sw

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

I like the convenience of a automatic rain gauge but would never trust them for accuracy. I can only trust the reading when I can see the rain that's fallen in the manual gauge with my own eyes. Am a bit of a luddite though, even my temp/pressure/humidity etc is through analog instruments!

EA flood map http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/flood/142151.aspx

Something I have learnt in recent years, this particular one seems to have a habit of wondering off calibration after a while! (whereas my old one was a bit better). Therefore I got a manual gauge and adjust the rainfall totals according to that.

I like it to see exactly when the rain fell, and with what intensity, and see nice graphs, though need the manual for accurate amounts. As I am at uni I need both really, for back up purposes and also to correct rainfall totals to the right day (as my parents can't always read the gauge at 9am, midnight, or whatever meteorological day I choose!) So I work out % the difference in overall totals and multiply the Davis' daily totals by that. Might not be 100% but the best I can do.

This was the river behind our house yesterday thanks to my dad:

post-7593-0-46727200-1415793367_thumb.jp

Though only on 'flood alert' level and it usually reaches that height a couple times a year, or many times in 2012 and last winter lol. On its way down now: http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/river-and-sea-levels/120722.aspx?stationId=3237

• Like 1

Posted

Very photogenic CBs running South of Warminster since mid morning with the anvils stretching miles from where the radar shows the heavy showers to be, these turning the sunshine hazy from time to time as they move over.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

56mm in the end from that system, pretty much spot on what the EURO4 was predicting.

I wouldn't mind being with SW England either. A Wales thread alone might be a bit dead unless there's cold/snow on the way.

you'll be more than welcome to post in the SW/S England regional, most weather for south Wales applies to us here, and we're a good, friendly bunch who like the odd drinky poo on a cold winter's night in here  :D

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

105mm so far this month, some way to go though to challenge the wettest Nov, that of 2009 with 309mm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

46.8mm total precipitation this month so far.  11.4c. Broken cloud.. Saw the sun today.  Max was 12.3c.

Posted

Well the showery troughs have timed themselves perfectly to allow sunshine at the best part of the day in mid November, it was dull and wet until 10.00 and again since 15.30 but 5 or so hours of beautiful conditions in between.