Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales, the Midlands & South West England Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Still a damp and breezy feel out this morning as the dying embers of yesterdays rain hang on across this part of the SW. 9.8C in a NW breeze. Totally dull.

Posted

23mm of rain here yesterday. It pretty much tipped it down for twelve hours from early afternoon onwards with virtually no respite.

Another 4.25mm so far today as well.

Bish

Posted

To think when I watched the Countryfile forecast just over 36 hours ago I planned a whole day of working outside today after a washout day yesterday.

As it is a 2nd consecutive washout is on the cards with the rain just stuck in a similar area! At present it's coming down as heavily as it did for much of yesterday and looks set to last for hours yet with no sign of this morning's BBC forecast decaying occurring. I haven't checked my gauge yet today and won't bother until it stops.

Please bring back the balmy conditions of earlier this month or even last week's clear / convective conditions!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

A soaking 29mms here in the last 30 hrs. Still dull and damp with bits of drizzle at times.... :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

We're in much the same position here, Andy.  The only exception being that it didn't start to drift southwards and rain on us until about an hour ago.  I was also hoping for a)that it wouldn't come this far south anyway and b)that if it did, it would have faded by now.  Total to 09.00GMT for 24 hours is 21.3mm, taking the month to 88.2mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

To think when I watched the Countryfile forecast just over 36 hours ago I planned a whole day of working outside today after a washout day yesterday.

As it is a 2nd consecutive washout is on the cards with the rain just stuck in a similar area! At present it's coming down as heavily as it did for much of yesterday and looks set to last for hours yet with no sign of this morning's BBC forecast decaying occurring. I haven't checked my gauge yet today and won't bother until it stops.

Please bring back the balmy conditions of earlier this month or even last week's clear / convective conditions!

Indeed, the rain has been stubborn to clear and unusually not most prevalent nearer the low. Just goes to show the most vile weather doesn't come from the Atlantic. Up until yesterday I was really enjoying October.

Posted

14mm more in my gauge bringing the total to 41mm since it started on Sunday evening and still more to come, there has been considerably more in other parts of the region. In fact rain will shortly edge down to the South Coast which was not forecast to happen even first thing this morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It started off sunny but as others have mentioned, it looks like some un-forecasted rain is heading this way!

Currently 13.6°C

If anybody fancies trying something out for me- if you have an Android or iPhone, click this link:

https://www.netatmo.com/addguest/index/bIzpgAYOj6SE35FDAz/70:ee:50:01:6e:22

Just sign up and download the weather app, or you should be able to get my weather data via the Web app. It should be quite straightforward, let me know if try it. :)

Posted

Not only that (and it is still raining in Mansfield as it has virtually non-stop for 30plus hours now) but forecasting of this low in the first place was poor too. The first most heard of it was rom a poster on here several days before the MetO or the BBC etc mentioned it in forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

5.1MM TODAY OF RAIN. Stopped now. 10.3c. Breeze 5 km/h N.West...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

23mm of rain here yesterday. It pretty much tipped it down for twelve hours from early afternoon onwards with virtually no respite.

Another 4.25mm so far today as well.

Bish

Bish,

Thanks for posting this info. . I was going to post asking someone in the area if they could  send me the rainfall totalsI 

I have a problem with my rainfall recorder when the wind is blowing. It seems to blow most of the rain off the top of the recorder.

I only recorded about 16mms up to 12midday today. Infact I knew it was much more that that because all of my plantpots where showing 25 - 35 mms in the bottom.!!! 

I think we spoke about it in the summer when there was heavyish rainfall around.

It looks as if I need to apply a variable uplift depending on the wind strength of between 10% and 50%!  Or get myself a new recorder!

Maybe Xmas time soon!

MIA

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

36 hours of rain and it's still going on....the last remnants are now in the local area near Swindon, but it just hasn't let up.....from drizzle to moderate rain all the way through......a truly horrible spell of wet weather....and more rain forecast for tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

What a thoroughly miserable day, damp and wt all day with no let up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

A grey start with total cloud cover and an increasing SE breeze. Dry at the moment though. Currently 9.8C with pressure falling at 1004.4mbs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

After the very dry September the first significant rainfall of October, on the 5th, has finally percolated down to the 200cm earth thermometer as evidenced by a 0.2c fall in temperature yesterday.( the temperature at this depth rarely moves by more than 0.1c and frequently remains the same for many days)

The rain took 4 days to reach the 100cm level and a further 5 days to reach 200cm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

After the very dry September the first significant rainfall of October, on the 5th, has finally percolated down to the 200cm earth thermometer as evidenced by a 0.2c fall in temperature yesterday.( the temperature at this depth rarely moves by more than 0.1c and frequently remains the same for many days)

The rain took 4 days to reach the 100cm level and a further 5 days to reach 200cm.

Interesting TM....

Have you observed this effect before or is it the first time that such a difference has been observed?

MIA

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes an interesting observation there TM, Another dull drizzly morning here with thick Fog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

rain incoming for this afternoon/evening, then the prospect of heavy showers & thunderstorms pushing NE for southern parts of the region......see Nick Finnis's convective forecast ...

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/81586-uk-storm-and-severe-convective-forecast/#entry3054549

Posted

Despite forecasts to the contrary by the MetO, it's raining in Mansfield and has been for a while. Not sure how they can get forecasts at such short notice, i.e. this morning, so horribly wrong?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like here in Falmouth is one of the potential sweet spots for the risk of thunder tonight and tomorrow. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Front through here about 60 minutes ago. Temp 16C wind SW 10 mph

Wow that's warmer than the inside of my house!  :angry: which is 14.9c 

12.8c outside and I have turned my heating on.