Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Is 2014 turning out to be a good year for thunder?

Stargazer

Posted

Just heard thunder again this afternoon in the middle of a shower, and am starting to think that 2014 is turning out to be an exceptionally good year for lovers of thunderstorms - in Reading, at least.

We have had several violent thunderstorms this year, including one that lasted around four hours overnight in June, and I've heard thunder on 15 days so far here (according to the MetO's maps, we should expect about 12 days per year, and realistically I notice thunder on about 8-9 days on average).

What's your experience of thunder this year - is 2014 turning out to be exceptional where you are?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

I have the same thoughts, probably had around 10 thunder days here so far, and at least 4 of them were from some good very nearby storms

Posted

Certianly is here, we have had at least 4 or 5 occasions where a really good storm has made a direct impact, not much lightning at night, however the day time storms have easily made up for that! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Certainly so, haven't heard this much thunder (although I wouldn't say a large % of that was actual storms) in years, probably since the 90's. We have had 4 thunderstorms (2 of which were spectacular) but I would say the last 2 months I have heard thunder on over half the days of the month.

Edited by Lauren

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

i've only heard 2 rumbles all year this year haven't had anything else but northern ireland is usually poor for thunder although i have seen thunder snow 3 times in the last 7-8 years

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Had more thunder here in Darlington this year then we've had in the past 2 summers combined mainly down to the humid air in June / July and the unstable, moist flow this month

Posted

this year so far has been just as poor as the last few years, the NW has never been a hotspot but it was always better a decade a two ago during spring and summer, 6 or 7 decent overhead days would be the normal count ,  last few years its been one or two  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Luck of the draw really, some had a good year last year and a poor one this year, for me last year was rather quiet, this year there have be a couple of overhead storms and a half dozen that have skirted close by, that to me is normal fare TBH.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Depends where you live I guess. Remarkably I have had several direct hits this year. Very rare!

Posted

Not here in Manchester it isn't. Despite the beauty we had on the morning of 19 July, this year has been exceptionally poor for thunderstorms around here. Certainly a forgettable year for me, unless autumn brings some good ones like it did last year.

Yes, it has been poor. Although we got the storm here of the 19th July, you did better with that storm than I did.As often with the case when overall it maybe a good or very notable year or season, some area seems to miss out. For instance, last winter was a record breaker rainfall wise, but in this area it wasn't that wet.

Posted

The thunderiest year in West Wiltshire since 2005! 4 days this week alone. 

i've only heard 2 rumbles all year this year haven't had anything else but northern ireland is usually poor for thunder although i have seen thunder snow 3 times in the last 7-8 years

Really?

We were on holiday near the Giants Causeway last week and had thunder Tuesday evening, frequent thunder Wednesday afternoon and more Saturday evening!

Posted

Didn't you get one that produced quite a bit of hail and lightning in May or June. That completely missed me.

was right under that, the only decent overhead one this year, reminded me of the good storm years in the 80's and 90's,  I forgot what a powerful sound close CG's can give until that one again

Posted

It certainly is here, even if my deafness does mask the 'real' number of days with thunder.

2 so far this month,2 in July  and 3 in June

Posted

Not here. Best storm of the year was the one in January! There was another minor one in spring, but nothing other than the odd rumble since & the way the models look, it would seem the "real" thunderstorm chances are just about gone for another summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

If you could compare it to a CET, definitely! I've had a few good thundery days, not as lucky as some folks on here though.

The synoptics I like to see have been showing up since Autumn last year, and I'm confident that they will continue in to this Autumn too. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

For me 2014 has been a fantastic year for storms but I go out chasing so I can't really use that to comment on the local storm count. In Derby itself there have been some decent storms around but nothing out of the ordinary and the lack of storms since mid-July has made up for the slightly higher frequency than usual during the months of June and July. Overall therefore this year has been around average for here. Biggest two events were the 25th January squall line and the big storm on 19th July (possible supercell). There was also a big storm on the 9th June but that just grazed Derby and didn't give a direct hit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

The thunderiest year in West Wiltshire since 2005! 4 days this week alone. 

Really?

We were on holiday near the Giants Causeway last week and had thunder Tuesday evening, frequent thunder Wednesday afternoon and more Saturday evening!

yea i seemed to miss all the thunder recently but there's a few mountains and hills between here and the giants causeway lol. i always seem to be very unlucky when it comes to thunder and lightening i always seem to be on the edge of it or in the middle of it on a motorbike that's hapened to me twice and it's very scary.

Edited by gary1365

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It's certainly been a fairly good year for hearing thunder ( 10 days so far this year, the most at this stage since 2009) but not a good one for actually experiencing thunderstorms as most of those days were the result of showers or thunderstorms in the vicinity but not here.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

It's certainly been a fairly good year for hearing thunder ( 10 days so far this year, the most at this stage since 2009) but not a good one for actually experiencing thunderstorms as most of those days were the result of showers or thunderstorms in the vicinity but not here.

Its been really good here too not kept count but quite few hits some been more of clip, then we in storm alley but to be fair not whole Lincolnshire is good often we lost out many times but this year it seems A46, A180 corridor been very active usually Southern Lincolnshire is the hotbed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Very much so! Up to early July, it was an abhorrent year for me, with 2 thunder events over 2 days. Now currently standing at 15 thunder events over 11 days.

As of now, turned out to be an above average year thus far :yahoo:

Fingers crossed for maybe more action today (Friday 15th)

Edited by Harry