Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted

Reading a few of the last posts reminded me when as kids in winter there would be ice on the inside of the windows, the outside loo used to freeze up, central heating? not till later on did that arrive, open fire with a back boiler for heat and hot water, remember the village finally getting mains gas in the 80's (though even to this day some of the furthest homes there remain off the grid gas wise), ironically I live in a modern build house now that is not on gas but is well insulated with double glazing.

That's exactly how it was when I was a kid! Remember going to bed and the sheets were so cold that it took ten minutes to get into bed cos you had to get used to the shock on every inch of your skin? Once under the blankets you'd pull them over your head then start breathing hard in an attempt to warm the air inside. Ice that would be half an inch thick on the inside of the window at the bottom of the pane, thinning out into filligree patterns further up, where you could just about see the frozen world outside. This is why we had such long hair in the 70's - for insulation not some fashion whim - that was just an excuse. Young uns these days dunt know they're born. As time goes by ( I'm an old git now) I'm becoming less tolerant of warmth and more so of cold - which seems to be the reverse of how things usually  go....

Edited by laserguy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I've not got any 'we had to walk to school 12 miles away in bare feet' type stories.

But my Mum would insist on having the windows wide open to air the house even when it was snowing, so we could see our own breath inside and be wrapped up in coats and scarves.

I remember ice in the windows before we had double glazing though.

Posted

I've given in and lit the woodburner, just a small fire.

I lived through 62/63 in a house with no central heating, one coal fire, freezing bedrooms complete with ice, but nowadays I want to feel warm if I can. Even in 62/63 I can remeber feeling cold, especially my numb toes and feet.

• Like 2

Posted

Missus wanted the heating on this evening. I just thought she was trying to be funny. But she's chucked a thicker quilt on the bed, so that's me kippin' on the sofa then.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

It is reckoned that the perfect temp to sleep in is about 13-15C? And potentially getting cold feet can be a detriment to a good nights slumber.

Everywhere I have read says 18 - 22c is ideal but with a general range of 13c - 23c with it varying from person to person.

I have no trouble sleeping in a room of 20 - 28c myself and never find heat waves in summer a problem. I have not removed my 10 tog duvet all year I think I had to sleep half out of it through hottest weather but not often.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Ideal sleeping temp for me is when it is cool enough to you actually need the duvet but not cold enough that any exposed flesh slowly but surely freezes solid.

So for me - the low 20s up to about 24c.

Posted

Back on topic lol...chilly one for some tonight, certainly a higher chance of single fig maxes, especially so in more rural areas as winds drop calm.

Great - I'll now start to think about opening the bedroom window.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

The wind is making having doors and windows open a bit of an issue here this evening, still very warm inside naturally and quite comfortable out still for t-shirts rather than jumpers (unless you get one of them there showers making a close call on you).

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Reading a few of the last posts reminded me when as kids in winter there would be ice on the inside of the windows, the outside loo used to freeze up, central heating? not till later on did that arrive, open fire with a back boiler for heat and hot water, remember the village finally getting mains gas in the 80's (though even to this day some of the furthest homes there remain off the grid gas wise), ironically I live in a modern build house now that is not on gas but is well insulated with double glazing.

I remember all this too. Getting a walloping off my parents for ripping the net curtain in my bedroom because it was stuck within the ice on the window when I tried to see how much snow had fallen, rubbing away a tiny spy-hole on the iced up window. In the morning i used to grab all my clothes and put them inside the bed with me to warm them up. Collecting 5 gallon of paraffin and dragging it home on my sledge, at least the fumes off the paraffin heaters helped you to sleep in the cold hash winters of the 70's...

And no my heating aint on and wont be for quite some time..!!

Edited by NL
  • Like 3

Posted

Stove is on this evening - with a couple of nice Ash logs from a tree which fell last year burning beautifullyWe did touch 15C but now it is 12C with showers, and has been 6C below normal most of the day.

Posted

I remember all this too. Getting a walloping off my parents for ripping the net curtain in my bedroom because it was stuck within the ice on the window when I tried to see how much snow had fallen, rubbing away a tiny spy-hole on the iced up window. In the morning i used to grab all my clothes and put them inside the bed with me to warm them up. Collecting 5 gallon of paraffin and dragging it home on my sledge, at least the fumes off the paraffin heaters helped you to sleep in the cold hash winters of the 70's...

And no my heating aint on and wont be for quite some time..!!

Used to go with my grandfather to get paraffin for the green house heater (the little pink pump at London Colney petrol station) and in the winter that same heater was put to use in the kitchen area to warm it up, as you say it did give off some fumes.  Central heating was not installed then in the 70's.  Modern heating I think makes many not understand the harsh colder temps when then hit in these modern times and how they were to live in.

Posted

The wind is making having doors and windows open a bit of an issue here this evening, still very warm inside naturally and quite comfortable out still for t-shirts rather than jumpers (unless you get one of them there showers making a close call on you).

I reckon having the windows open makes naff-all difference when it's warm/hot. At least the current supressed temperatures means goon and insect activity outside is also somewhat reduced.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm more comfortable than I've been for months!

• Like 1

Posted

Just had the cooler running to bring the temp down a touch in here.

Posted

Just had the cooler running to bring the temp down a touch in here.

:nea:

I have had electric fire on this evening for a couple of hours  in bed room. House was down to 16.9c which was cold enough for august thank you :whistling:

Interesting to see how low it drops in house this week with early cool spell of weather. A toasty 19.8c now and ready for bed.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

That's exactly how it was when I was a kid! Remember going to bed and the sheets were so cold that it took ten minutes to get into bed cos you had to get used to the shock on every inch of your skin? Once under the blankets you'd pull them over your head then start breathing hard in an attempt to warm the air inside. Ice that would be half an inch thick on the inside of the window at the bottom of the pane, thinning out into filligree patterns further up, where you could just about see the frozen world outside. This is why we had such long hair in the 70's - for insulation not some fashion whim - that was just an excuse. Young uns these days dunt know they're born. As time goes by ( I'm an old git now) I'm becoming less tolerant of warmth and more so of cold - which seems to be the reverse of how things usually  go....

Let me jog those old memory's for you all.. :rofl:

Kitchen window...

post-8911-0-55543300-1408407021_thumb.jp

I worked out over the course of the harder winters we have had that -5c or below tends to be the benchmark for ice on the inside of the house. Tends to thaw out towards mid day leaving those huge pools of water -10 or below and its really hard to get house out of single figures in winter, we tend to close off rooms we don't use much and heat the central living areas of house.

Edited by mullender83
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Still above twenty indoors but 12 degrees outside. Lovely fresh feeling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

If you haven't yet - you probably will be tonight

why?...I seriously doubt I will be turning on my heating at all even in the depths of winter..didn't have to last time I lived in London.

Posted

Let me jog those old memory's for you all.. :rofl:

Kitchen window...

http:////f1.nwstatic.co.uk/forum/public/style_images/tctc91_simplify/attachicon.giffrosty.jpg

I worked out over the course of the harder winters we have had that -5c or below tends to be the benchmark for ice on the inside of the house. Tends to thaw out towards mid day leaving those huge pools of water -10 or below and its really hard to get house out of single figures in winter, we tend to close off rooms we don't use much and heat the central living areas of house.

That is what I do in the winter, just heat the lounge and minor heat in the hallway that is shared for all of the upstairs.  Thankfully I have no need to be in and out of rooms and the house often in winter, to and from work, and shopping once in a while when needed, it is just me so I know if I shut a door and turn off a light etc, it stays that way.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Still got the windows open so no need for them. Had the plumber in so the downstairs doors were open as well early this morning. Still no need for heating.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Wood burner on here in North Wales where we re visiting. It is very chilly out.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I have just had strict orders to light the Fire by the other.. Indoor temp 17.8c.

Edited by Polar Maritime