Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Nope! Nowhere near cold enough for heating yet.

Posted

same here, heatings been like the oke koke.

on off, on off, currently off.

but its difficult when ones partner likes it be a constant 25c.  hahah

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Fired the Arger up Sunday night for a few hours as dropped to 16c inside, Other than that we have had the open fire going most evenings over the past week. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I have put the heating on this sunny morning which still has a quite sharp chill in the air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Seriously considering this evening. Quite a shock going from 30C everyday to single figures 

• Like 1

Posted

Yes. The only few days we didn’t use it was around the 12-13th of October when the temps hit 21-24c during those days. Either side of that, the heating has been on, mainly due to the colder mornings and evenings. I suspect we will start using the heating more widely as we approach November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity

The woodstove has been lit on the few cooler evenings, I prefer the more gentle heat that it puts into the radiators to keep the chill off and it's cheaper to run than the oil powered combi boiler.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Still no! 

Ive prepared by sealing my kitchen windows (they’re old and a bit leaky) and I do that every winter with stuff from Lidls but my flat is still in the daytime around 25c.

I think (which is helping), that downstairs have caved in with their toddler being 18 months old so I’m benefiting. In fact my flat is still 22c at 5am.

I’m hoping that the cold snap remains a Northerly as my lounge window faces East - and in March, that’s when I discovered how cold this flat can get 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh

Mine is still set up for last winter, on the odd occasion it's fired up for ten mins or so over the past week or two. However l think the dramatic drop in temps this saturday will have it firing up for much longer periods. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

We had Hive fitted last autumn, very controllable, happy with it compared to the simple timer that we had before. 

Just reset the temp from 16C across the board for summer, to max of 18.5C when we're up and about in the house and 17.5 overnight and when we're out. Of course we can always boost or tweak the temp up or down manually or via the app... 

Had a few days away over the weekend, house temp was 16.2C on our return.... 

Posted

Put it on low a couple of weeks ago just to take edge off.  Only some rooms. Comes on twice for an hour or so when getting up and during the evening. Nice when having a shower.  

Controlled by individual radiator thermostatic valves and wall thermostat, which is ok for our lifestyle. 

Edited by Snipper

Posted

Always try to hang on until November, as energy prices climb I really try and hold off for as long as possible. This weekend might mean some warmth might be needed, if it’s sunny I’ll use the sunshine to maximum effect and warm the rooms south facing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

I did not realise how cold it was until I liked at my central heating thermometer which had the indoor temperature at 16 °C .  As I live in an singled glazed council owned property which is hard to keep warm, I have invested with thermal blinds and curtains but even with these I still need to put the heating on.

Posted
On 24/10/2018 at 08:41, Dorsetbred said:

Always try to hang on until November, as energy prices climb I really try and hold off for as long as possible. This weekend might mean some warmth might be needed, if it’s sunny I’ll use the sunshine to maximum effect and warm the rooms south facing.

I never bother. As soon as I start to feel chilly, the heating has to go on. Usually mid to late September is when I put the heating on, and it will be on and off until next April, or May.

Posted
On 24/10/2018 at 05:04, philglossop said:

Still no! 

Ive prepared by sealing my kitchen windows (they’re old and a bit leaky) and I do that every winter with stuff from Lidls but my flat is still in the daytime around 25c.

I think (which is helping), that downstairs have caved in with their toddler being 18 months old so I’m benefiting. In fact my flat is still 22c at 5am.

I’m hoping that the cold snap remains a Northerly as my lounge window faces East - and in March, that’s when I discovered how cold this flat can get 

Well I cracked yesterday. As soon as the wind turned from N to more NE yesterday the temperature in the flat dropped dramatically down to around 17c. 

As it’s not pay day till Wednesday I’ll get a 15kg butane for my heater then so I’ll use my convection heater sparingly until then as it’s swallowing electric at the rate of 20/25p a hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Had it on for the last few nights, set to 19c, must of been a cold night here because the boilers conked out again, house is currently 15.8c but I can't start the boiler up until everyone's up as it's loud and takes about 15 attempts to kick into life! Will need to get it serviced before it gets too cold if this winter is anything like last year, back then it went off around 30 times overall and the house got down to 7.9c which was not fun waking up to at all!! The boiler temp itself in the loft was reading just 3c and condensation pipes almost to the point up to the bottom of the boiler were frozen solid, had to heat them up with a heat gun each morning to melt the ice down the pipe before starting the boiler up.

Posted

It is very rare for me to put the heating up to 19 Celsius, but I did today.  The council flat I live in is very hard to keep warm but at least at night I have my thermal blinds and curtains drawn which keeps the place warmer. The last time I have experienced severe frost was in the early 90's when I lived in Scotland and the frost was so severe the clothes on the line froze solid, there was a ice inside the house on the inside windows.  We lived in a stone cottage which was heated by an oil ray-burn oven. 

Edited by Katrine Basso

Posted

It’s a been a good Autumn, whilst the portable gas fire has been on most evenings and for an hour before work, since the 30th and pay day it’s not been on more than 1 bar out of possible 3.

Given the gas bottle price has jumped up to £40 a time this pleases me greatly but I know come Deep midwinter it’ll be a bottle every 4 weeks compared to every 6/7 as it is at the moment!

Edited by philglossop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Had to put it on for a few days between the 26th and 31st October but have largely had it off since then given how mild it's been. 

• Like 1

Posted

Random question but....

Does it cost more money to have the boiler on constantly in winter for heating and control through thermostat or to just turn boiler on and off as needed?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
8 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Random question but....

Does it cost more money to have the boiler on constantly in winter for heating and control through thermostat or to just turn boiler on and off as needed?

That's a good question, and one I asked myself too.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/energy-saving-myths/

Posted

It's on all the time for water but I had only been turning the heating on and off as needed. I presume he's saying it's more cost effective as it doesn't have to start from scratch each time to heat?