Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Had the heating on a few times in the last few days, as the house has started hitting the 15.5c chilly factor during night time  :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

My new flat has storage heaters; I can turn on the electric fire to take the chill off but the cost is too high during the day! So I turned on the storage heater last night on the lowest input and lowest output. My 7 hours of cheap electricity turn off at 0830 and when I turned the heater off at 0630 the whole flat was really warm. May invest in a pair of fleece pyjamas for the winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

On intermittently at the moment. Certainly a chill in the house most mornings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Tested the electric heating in the living room last night, it is getting close to that time for the heaters to go on full blast. To think it was well into November last year when the heating came on.

Posted

Wouldnt be any point in putting my heating on ........ when the back door is left open all the time when I am home  :D   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The whole of our building is heated from one boiler and I have taps to allow that hot water to flow or not. I turned them on for the first time since late Feb on Friday. I've not used any radiators just yet and am just relying on the warmth of the pipes that run around the apartment. It's been sunny but cold the last few days but today is barely 5c under drizzle so I expect it'll be chilly when I get home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Not just yet but I've just given in and ordered oil so it'll likely be on tomorrow. Last year it was 27th November before the heating went on.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The windows are now permanently shut and i have to wear a jumper. Be time for heating in a few degrees.

Posted

I'm ashamed to say central heating first went on in late September compared to last year this is a total flip.

i dont get this "shame" thing about putting the heating on! if you feel cold, put the heating on!

do we have to wait until the kids are dying from hypothermia before we spend a few quid on being comfortable in our own homes??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

i dont get this "shame" thing about putting the heating on! if you feel cold, put the heating on!

do we have to wait until the kids are dying from hypothermia before we spend a few quid on being comfortable in our own homes??

They need to prove their manliness.. me big man no feel cold grunt grunt.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!

and s*d the wife and kids? Really?

It's different if you can't afford it - then it's needs must! but otherwise no need to be cold.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Not really, theres just no point putting on heating when you don't need to, people moan about the utilities companies but your playing right into their hands, its just like throwing money down the drain, I don't actually think they are extortionate (granted they aren't dead cheap either) AS LONG AS YOUR SENSIBLE AND USE YOUR BRAIN, I have a fan on and no t-shirt now, first line of defence is t-shirt, second will be coat (hate the feel of jumpers), then 1 heater in the room I'm actually in as opposed to heating rooms where no one is in, Granted I know some people feel the cold I get that but my parents get a gas bill (central heating is the only Gas item in their house) of 2-300 quid a quarter but they waste so much energy, every room is heated and its a 50 year old central heating system, its not a macho thing because I cant understand people loving stupid heat and hate it but theres nothing you can really do about that, the most you can do is have no clothes on (and you cant do that outside) short of sitting in a cold bath and watching tv while you eat your dinner.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Over 18C please!

What temperature is the room you are sitting in, that you need a fan and to remove your shirt? :D

Just curious, as your house may be warm and not need heating yet to stay warm - my old house feels cold as soon as temperature outside drops below 15c.

Solid walls and no solar gain through West facing windows at this time of year. My daughter's house has a conservatory facing South and that makes her house so much warmer - no need for heating there.

That's why I'm curious about yours ........

Posted

What temperature is the room you are sitting in, that you need a fan and to remove your shirt? :D

Just curious, as your house may be warm and not need heating yet to stay warm - my old house feels cold as soon as temperature outside drops below 15c.

Solid walls and no solar gain through West facing windows at this time of year. My daughter's house has a conservatory facing South and that makes her house so much warmer - no need for heating there.

That's why I'm curious about yours ........

Its strange actually because its usually at this time it flips from being to hot to too cold (for most people) but fortunately I don't feel cold, its too hot in summer but I wont have windows open ever because I have a phobia of insects. I could easily live in temps of 10c if I had to, I don't ware a coat if its 10c outside and even 7c if theres no wind whatsoever.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Not really, theres just no point putting on heating when you don't need to, people moan about the utilities companies but your playing right into their hands, its just like throwing money down the drain, I don't actually think they are extortionate (granted they aren't dead cheap either) AS LONG AS YOUR SENSIBLE AND USE YOUR BRAIN, I have a fan on and no t-shirt now, first line of defence is t-shirt, second will be coat (hate the feel of jumpers), then 1 heater in the room I'm actually in as opposed to heating rooms where no one is in, Granted I know some people feel the cold I get that but my parents get a gas bill (central heating is the only Gas item in their house) of 2-300 quid a quarter but they waste so much energy, every room is heated and its a 50 year old central heating system, its not a macho thing because I cant understand people loving stupid heat and hate it but theres nothing you can really do about that, the most you can do is have no clothes on (and you cant do that outside) short of sitting in a cold bath and watching tv while you eat your dinner.

I don't moan about that - nor does anyone I know. I use the heating whenever I feel cold, and I'll happily pay whatever for the privilege. This is the 21st  century, and I do not expect to be dressed for an Arctic expedition when I'm indoors.

Edited by cheese

Posted

I don't moan about that - nor does anyone I know. I use the heating whenever I feel cold, and I'll happily pay whatever for the privilege. This is the 21st  century, and I do not expect to be dressed for an Arctic expedition when I'm indoors.

Yes but some people who cant afford it continue to not think about how they can reduce costs, even if your on an above average income and no where near the poverty line, its still advisable to at least consider your actions, let alone if your on minimum wage.

• Like 1

I don't understand this. People who are naturally resilient/indifferent to cold are seen by some ^^ as wilfully projecting a 'hardman' attitude. Yet no one makes the same accusations towards those who want it to be 40c + ???

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Everybody has their own tolerance and threshold of comfort,some people feel very uncomfortable in heat,i just can't tolerate it for being comfortable,i work in 35c conditions most days so have got used to it but still find any sort of hot weather unpleasant. My tolerance is cold,not being tough or hardman,just some people tolerate temperatures differently. Needless to say my heating bill is always very low which is a big plus for me!!

• Like 2