Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

No chance. Loving the weather at the moment.

I agree, it's great to experience these unusually low temperatures. Windows are still open here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Had to close some windows (although not all) but deffo no heating yet. Yucky northerly wind and only 17c! Bleugh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I closed all the windows last night first time since spring. Not usual for here in September, but still happens from time to time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

So here is a question for many in here, do you refuse to put the heating on strictly because of the calendar month regardless of temperature or do you turn the heating on once the temperature is below a certain value for example some of us may find house doesn't drop below 15 - 18c until December where as those with poor insulation and or live in cool areas like myself find ourselves putting the heating on in cool weather during the summer months albeit not too often.

The last week or so has seen many cool days and single figure nights with indoors dropping to as low as 15c which is quite frankly unacceptable for relaxing in on an evening.  :nonono:  

Today is again 12c outside which is fine for doing some gardening etc but it is again very cool and house will get chilly tonight.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Below a certain value. The sensible approach is to put more clothing on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

True but to a point I believe a fleece is enough. I don't see the point in sitting inside with a coat or thermals on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I heat when its cold- nothing to do with the date. For sure I can slip on a jumper and that I do when it drops sub 19c when I'm home alone. But the wife feels the cold so if I'm in a jumper she's in 5 layers and her hands have gone blue. Sure 16c indoors is fine if you're moving around or exercising but for sitting for hours on the computer working it has to be around 20c or the hand on the mouse goes icy cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Until it gets down to about 16c don't see any need for it, still hovering around 20c although there is a bit of a chill first thing in the morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I heat when its cold- nothing to do with the date. For sure I can slip on a jumper and that I do when it drops sub 19c when I'm home alone. But the wife feels the cold so if I'm in a jumper she's in 5 layers and her hands have gone blue. Sure 16c indoors is fine if you're moving around or exercising but for sitting for hours on the computer working it has to be around 20c or the hand on the mouse goes icy cold.

I was sitting outside yesterday in the shade at 15C with a north-westerly wind blowing quite happily reading a book. Weird thing is though if it's 15C inside I close the windows to raise the temperature a couple of degrees.

Quite why those temperatures are okay outside but not in I don't know, the only difference between inside and out is the wind so maybe that somehow was keeping me warm.

My conclusion? If your cold, don't whack on the heating, save some money and stick the fan on!

Edited by Relativistic Sting Jet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The sensible approach is to do whatever you want. I turn the heating on when I feel cold - others choose to suffer by wearing unnecessary layers indoors. Their choice, and mine.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Had the log burner on low tink the last few nights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Briefly this morning after a cold day yesterday making temps drop to 15.7C now off again

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The gas man came and sorted out my gas fire. :good: It is far less likely to explode and take out the entire neighbourhood now. :good:So bring on the cold weather. :cold:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

If you're getting on a bit then you should heat your home to maintain at least 16C.  We oldies mightn't realise we are dangerously near to hypothermia until it's too late.  I maintain 16C indoors in winter despite my sport affording me heavy insulation (OK, blubber :laugh:)

• Like 2

If you're getting on a bit then you should heat your home to maintain at least 16C.  We oldies mightn't realise we are dangerously near to hypothermia until it's too late.  I maintain 16C indoors in winter despite my sport affording me heavy insulation (OK, blubber :laugh:)

my wife likes the house at a toasty 4000 k ...
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

15 year old gas boiler has broken down again and is on its last legs, my gas man is pop-in around tomorrow, but it's not looking good.

New combination boiler coming up methinks, had a chat today over the phone and for around a grand, a 32kw condensing combi supplied & fitted.

Glad it ain't the middle of winter i'd be freezing my tits by now :) 

15 year old gas boiler has broken down again and is on its last legs, my gas man is pop-in around tomorrow, but it's not looking good.

New combination boiler coming up methinks, had a chat today over the phone and for around a grand, a 32kw condensing combi supplied & fitted.

Glad it ain't the middle of winter i'd be freezing my tits by now :)

woster Bosch or valiant are your best bet ,steer clear of British Gas :0..
  • Like 1

Posted

woster Bosch or valiant are your best bet ,steer clear of British Gas :0..

British Gas No way, £400 scappage what is the point when they want three times as much.

Over the year i send a fair bit of work my gas mans way so I'm sure he'll look after me, but yes i think valiant sound's a good choice :)

• Like 1

Posted

no. i dont allow the heating on until its at least 0° kelvin. my windows are wedged open so they can never be shut. in fact i've removed the glass anyway. i only allow my family to wear t-shirts until hypothermia has set in, then i may allow a thin fleece. in very cold weather, i allow a candle to provide heat for the house. if the temperature drops even further, i may allow the candle to be lit...

there. i must now be hard/manly/frugal/stingy enough for this thread...

• Like 5

Posted

If the temperature drops even further, i may allow the candle to be lit... :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

no. i dont allow the heating on until its at least 0° kelvin. my windows are wedged open so they can never be shut. in fact i've removed the glass anyway. i only allow my family to wear t-shirts until hypothermia has set in, then i may allow a thin fleece. in very cold weather, i allow a candle to provide heat for the house. if the temperature drops even further, i may allow the candle to be lit...

there. i must now be hard/manly/frugal/stingy enough for this thread...

I cryogenically freeze my family on October the 1st in my second hand Beko chest freezer. It saves on heating costs. I then thaw them out in the spring (September 1st) before refreezing them on October the 1st again.  No heating on yet, it was 14c last night. :shok: Oh and don't let them light candles, fire hazard! :help:

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

might have to swap my 3.5 tog summer duvet to my Autumn 7.5 tog..whether I then upgrade to my winter 13.5 tog and when is not know yet.