Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Around minus 10C if I lived alone. (Serious answer!). But I guess I'll allow it to be on for limited periods this weekend what with the kid being home from school an' all. That will open the floodgates I s'pose and it'll be on and off from then til early spring. Gonna have to force more bread 'n' taties down him.

Your house must be terribly damp, thats the main reason I have heating in here not cold weather :)

• Like 1

Posted

Give em one of ya 'chilli choking pepper belly curries LG.. Thats proper 'central heating'..!!

He's actually developed quite a tolerance for one so young, but still has mountains to climb! Wonder if my vast capsaicin intake ( actually had a vindaloo for breakfast today) has something to do with my indifference to cold? Sat here with doors and windows open, heating off and t-shirt on and will soon be going to work in what amounts to a giant un-heated shed, wearing the same. I guarantee I'll be perfectly comfortable whilst everyone else looks like they're about to embark on an Arctic trek and will be moaning accordingly.

Your house must be terribly damp, thats the main reason I have heating in here not cold weather :)

Our drum has one of those forced-air ventilation systems in the loft - black mould/mildew/damp/stale smells etc etc are things of the past.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Just a word of warning LG, it's not very good for your body to be so cold. You might feel alright but it is likely going to affect Mrs LG and Mini LG's health. Just something to think about.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Do people leave their heating on over night. ? Needs to be about -10c for that for me.

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Do people leave their heating on over night. ? Needs to be about -10c for that

I have storage heaters, they are physically connected to the E7 electricity supply so will only charge over night, they are neither on or off, they just build up heat overnight and then release it during the day.

Posted

I still cant believe anyone would sit in a room at minus 10  , watch tv,  listen to music , on the pc, or whatever you do,  in normal indoor clothes  , just not having it   :rofl: , you would not last long, you would have to keep up vigourous activity,  hypothermia anyone?

even +10 would be uncomfortable to me indoors,  and being wrapped up with heavy layers and a hat on indoors in minus 10, what would be the point of that :cold: , , I like to feel free in light clothing  8)

• Like 1

Posted

Do people leave their heating on over night. ? Needs to be about -10c for that

too expensive ! , and the heating makes a noise, if the house gets up to a good temp during the evening a well insulated house should keep in the comfort zone whilst you are tucked up in bed  :)  until the very early hours at least

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Open fire lit here, 17c in living room 0c outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

too expensive ! , and the heating makes a noise, if the house gets up to a good temp during the evening a well insulated house should keep in the comfort zone whilst you are tucked up in bed  :)  until the very early hours at least

In my old place I used to have mine on timer to come on about 1.5 hours before we got up then (during colder spells) it was just about comfortable (around 17-18c) to get ready in. Then it came on again an hour before getting home and would just about make it to 21c an hour or so before bed. Then lost it at a rate of about 1-2c per hour.

Now I only have radiator taps to control it but good insulation with little heat loss so I just turn them down to minimum overnight and it's fine.

• Like 1

Posted

Just a word of warning LG, it's not very good for your body to be so cold. You might feel alright but it is likely going to affect Mrs LG and Mini LG's health. Just something to think about.

They're starting to acclimatise, and it's never done me any harm. Cold preserves - heat festers. I'm told it's cold out today, but the CH remains untroubled in here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Do people leave their heating on over night. ? Needs to be about -10c for that for me.

Yep. Bills included in my rent and my landlord is a pain so we make the most of it!

• Like 2

Posted

They're starting to acclimatise, and it's never done me any harm. Cold preserves - heat festers. I'm told it's cold out today, but the CH remains untroubled in here.

It might not have done you any harm, but you really could be affecting their health by being so stubborn about it, especially with young ones.

The human body is not designed to be consistently in temperatures outside a 'normal' range, it makes our immune systems weaker as all our energy goes in to keeping our bodies warm, it puts pressure on our heart and respiratory system as they work harder to keep us warm.

I'm not saying your house has to be a sauna, but try having a little thought for other people's health and comfort. They are your family after all.

I don't mean that horribly, I'm just advising you.

• Like 8

Posted

Nope.it would get far too warm

Posted

I'm not saying your house has to be a sauna, but try having a little thought for other people's health and comfort. They are your family after all.

They're having one of my vindaloo specials for supper whether they like it or not. Twenty minutes after that and all silly notions of putting the heating on will have evaporated along with their minds.

• Like 3

Posted

I don't know why I bother to be honest, I'm trying to be helpful to you but if you want to be bloody minded about that's up to you. But don't say you weren't warned.

It doesn't hurt to turn off you ego occasionally! :p

• Like 7

Posted

Yes, all the time. We have underfloor heating, and this works best when on 24/7. Very efficient and less expensive to run than a conventional radiator system. We also have 2 woodburners, one in the living room and the other in the office. Once the woodburner is lit in the living room, the underfloor heating just switches off in that zone and unless the temp drops to about -5C or lower outside, it stays off until morning. No heating upstairs.

LG do you think your cold tolerance is extremely unusual and not really shared by many other people. If not, you should. Assuming Mrs LG and your lad are average re heat tolerance, in cold weather they must find it 'challenging' to put it mildly.

Edited by picog

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Off again right now. Been on and off a few times today not needed right now. This one advantage of quiet weather you also need less heating.

Posted

Teach a person to light a fire they can stay warm for the night, set the person on fire they are warm for life.

• Like 3

Posted

Got the Argar on for the 1st time this year, Just ticking away tonight to keep the damp off.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

I don't know why I bother to be honest, I'm trying to be helpful to you but if you want to be bloody minded about that's up to you. But don't say you weren't warned.

Today they've cleared off to her mother's place - presumably to get warm. Great - I can play heavy rock at '11' and at a comfortable temperature, now everyone's happy!

• Like 3

Posted

Today they've cleared off to her mother's place - presumably to get warm. Great - I can play heavy rock at '11' and at a comfortable temperature, now everyone's happy!

Your family need to get away from you to be happy and you be happy then?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

He might just be joking ?

Anyway its really cold outside so heating full on

Got misses to go out to cover the car she is complaining about her pneumonia however I explained my car needs covering

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 4

Posted

He might just be joking ?

Anyway its really cold outside so heating full on

Got misses to go out to cover the car she is complaining about her pneumonia however I explained my car needs covering

If he is it is sick!

• Like 1

Posted

Your family need to get away from you to be happy and you be happy then?

It does us all good from time to time!  I have actually relented, you'll be relieved to hear - but the heating will remain well and truly off whenever I'm home alone!

• Like 2