Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted

I hadn't realised that ASD could cause those types of hypersensitivities.

Oh for sure, and it also causes one to see things in a very black or white way - which is no doubt why I'm the recipient of many posting restrictions and warnings on NW! My drum has crap insulation but all-new double glazing about four years ago. It is technically 'cold' in here - it's just that I don't feel it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

With temperature now below freezing day and night, no sunshine at all coupled with a strong biting easterly wind the heating is most certainly running now! Just so glad this flat is so easy to keep warm, just one or two radiators on and its cosy. If I'd have brought my old Nottingham house with me i'd be half frozen by now!

Posted

With temperature now below freezing day and night, no sunshine at all coupled with a strong biting easterly wind the heating is most certainly running now! Just so glad this flat is so easy to keep warm, just one or two radiators on and its cosy. If I'd have brought my old Nottingham house with me i'd be half frozen by now!

Yes, your home itself can make a huge difference. After dithering for years I finally topped up the insulation in the loft from 5cm to 30cm and the difference is amazing. We can have the heating on for an hour in the morning taking the temperature to 20C and it'll stay above 18C for the next 24 hours even if its well below 10C outside. Even when it was in double figures outside last winter it still needed a couple of hours in the morning to get it up to 20C and then a further hour in the evening to take the edge off.

I imagine in summer it'll have the opposite effect and keep the heat out, so that's a plus too. I'm kicking myself, I really should have done it years ago.

Posted

Oh for sure, and it also causes one to see things in a very black or white way - which is no doubt why I'm the recipient of many posting restrictions and warnings on NW! My drum has crap insulation but all-new double glazing about four years ago. It is technically 'cold' in here - it's just that I don't feel it...

When would you consider wearing a jumper over a tee shirt or putting the heating on inside (disregarding Mrs Laserguy's wishes). How cool would it need to be for you to do that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes, your home itself can make a huge difference. After dithering for years I finally topped up the insulation in the loft from 5cm to 30cm and the difference is amazing. We can have the heating on for an hour in the morning taking the temperature to 20C and it'll stay above 18C for the next 24 hours even if its well below 10C outside. Even when it was in double figures outside last winter it still needed a couple of hours in the morning to get it up to 20C and then a further hour in the evening to take the edge off.

I imagine in summer it'll have the opposite effect and keep the heat out, so that's a plus too. I'm kicking myself, I really should have done it years ago.

Deffo worth it for sure. We did the same in our old house but the effect was not huge as the house was so old and didn't have a proper loft to install insulation into (and no cavity wall). In cold spells, it could be heated to almost 20c in the morning and be back to 11-12c by time I came home at 5:30pm then take another 4 hours to be comfortable again. Fighting a loosing battle really. Dread to think what energy efficiency category it fell in! 

Our apartment here is a new build on top of an old (circa 1900) building and feels very well insulated. Just as well really given the weather here at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I am in rented house and had the insulation done, total bargain in terms of heat stored during the winter and keeping the place cool in the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Still no where near putting on the heating in fact went back to my summer duvet over the weekend as it was too warm at night..may revert to my winter one again soon but heating is a long way off yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Had it on for about an hour yesterday, haven't needed any more than that yet, and it's only 5.8C outside. The insulation in this house must be good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'm not sure if it's an insulation thing but my house is often cold in winter, but it's been warmed up it says warm, meaning we very rarely need to have the heating on full tim.

Posted

I admit I did have the heating on yesterday  :shok:      But only out of desperation to get some washing dry ..... :D

Still no where near putting on the heating in fact went back to my summer duvet over the weekend as it was too warm at night..may revert to my winter one again soon but heating is a long way off yet.

I have a summer duvet in winter.   In summer I just sleep under a duvet cover .....   :D

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Open fire still in use here. 19c in living room, 5.4 out.

Posted

Woodburner lit most of yesterday and since 3pm today. Unheated rooms down to 9C again, far too cold for comfort.

Posted

Awwww, I so miss an open fire, you are all making me green with envy now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I guess you could say I've had some form of heating all day. CH in the morning and evening and then the fire when I got in from work. Very  :cold: today.

Posted

Woodburner lit most of yesterday and since 3pm today. Unheated rooms down to 9C again, far too cold for comfort.

My unheated room is on 9C today despite double glazing.

Woodstove not usually lit until it starts to get dark at 4pm.

That soon gets main room well above 20C which would feel a bit much in summer but now feels cosy, and if it does feel warm leave door to hall open and more heat goes upstairs. The main room is generally still about 20C next morning as the stove stays warm well into next day.

Today it had cooled to about 17C when stove relit at 4pm.

The stove runs radiators to all but one room once well warmed up, but they soon turn off if you don't keep it running pretty hot.

Ideally it would be combined with oil or LPG boiler, however we had LPG for a while before this stove, and it was so hideously expensive it just seemed more realistic to have a multifuel stove and buy an extra ton of coal if logs were in short supply. 

Before that we had a cooker wood stove which was prone to boiling the water but did not give out much heat to the room it was in.

It was a big clumsy thing, and dusty to to operate.

You had to frequently lift top plates and brush it all out or performance dropped of markedly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Nope - don't be silly.

How cold would your house need to be for you to put the heating on? (Serious question!)

Posted

Just open fire so far still, Got it roaring away now it's bloody grand. 19.2c in living room, 12c in hallway and 3.4c outside.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

If you want to be cold then so be it, rest of us mortals like a bit of warmth in our lives and are not cold lovers.

• Like 3

Posted

How cold would your house need to be for you to put the heating on? (Serious question!)

Around minus 10C if I lived alone. (Serious answer!). But I guess I'll allow it to be on for limited periods this weekend what with the kid being home from school an' all. That will open the floodgates I s'pose and it'll be on and off from then til early spring. Gonna have to force more bread 'n' taties down him.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Around minus 10C if I lived alone. (Serious answer!). But I guess I'll allow it to be on for limited periods this weekend what with the kid being home from school an' all. That will open the floodgates I s'pose and it'll be on and off from then til early spring. Gonna have to force more bread 'n' taties down him.

Give em one of ya 'chilli choking pepper belly curries LG.. Thats proper 'central heating'..!!

• Like 2

Posted

Open fire lit again today, Outside temp 5.5c  Living room 17.1c. The Arger may have to go on tonight as temps could dip -5/-6c.