Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

It's been around 7c and raining off and on all day. Grey, misty, quite dark all day - anyone else think November is the worst month of the year?

Flicked heating on at 3 o'clock this afternoon.

7c here as it has been (or thereabouts) for 2 weeks now. Saw the sun for 10 mins earlier. That gives us a total of 4 hours in 2 weeks. 

I hate November - it's too dark and makes me incredibly lethargic/demotivated especially when there is no sunshine. It's also usually not that cold so snow etc limited but it sure as hell ain't warm either so you need to live in stuffy centrally heated rooms all the time. Christmas is coming but its still that bit too far off to do 'festive' stuff.

For me it ranks equally with January as my least favourite months. 

• Like 1

Posted

Around about 5-30pm my car thermometer was saying it was 10c outside, either I'm getting old or 10c has become quite chilly.........

BFTP

BFTP, accept it your getting old  :oops: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Early November can be alright - but I agree from Mid November onwards is equally as bad as the worst month of the year which is January.

January really is a Month that has nothing going for it, dark, boring, and the post Christmas blues & the heating's on all the time.

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Back off again won't be needed tonight anyway.

Posted

Unheated rooms in my house now down to 9.9C. How anyone can live in an unheated house at those temperatures and feel comfortable is beyond me. In an average winter, indoor temps here can easily fall to 6 or 7C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Just put thermometers in a few rooms to see temps around the flat. 20c seems to be an average across the board going up to 21c when cooking/working in that room and 19c in the bedroom.

That's just about comfortable in still air when wearing slippers but any lower it would need heating if you're sitting for any length of time.

This is in dull mostly still outdoor conditions and temps ranging 4c to 6c outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just put thermometers in a few rooms to see temps around the flat. 20c seems to be an average across the board going up to 21c when cooking/working in that room and 19c in the bedroom.

That's just about comfortable in still air when wearing slippers but any lower it would need heating if you're sitting for any length of time.

This is in dull mostly still outdoor conditions and temps ranging 4c to 6c outside.

My room got down to 13c yesterday. Frigid.

Posted

Can't work at that temperature! Well unless you're doing some a lot of moving around anyway. Sadly tapping on a keyboard don't quite do it!

Posted

Can't work at that temperature! Well unless you're doing some a lot of moving around anyway. Sadly tapping on a keyboard don't quite do it!

It was during the afternoon when I was trying to sleep after my night shift. Thankfully my heating bill is included in the rent :D

Posted

It was during the afternoon when I was trying to sleep after my night shift. Thankfully my heating bill is included in the rent :D

If your heating is included in the rent, why is your room so chilly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Joints are protesting with the cold and damp, really need the heating on now (still on low for now, but unless it returns to double digit temps soon outside it will get getting turned up a notch).

Edited by Jax

Posted

Heating has been on for a couple of hours in morning and a few in the evening for a couple of weeks now.

Home today and it got switched on at 4.30 this afternoon. Still on now.

We aint going cold this winter just for the sake of a few £s.

Posted

My bedroom has been nice and cool last couple of nights, what with no heating on and the window open all night :D

Only problem is that washing is still on the line soaking wet after a week ...... may have to put some heating on soon just to dry some clothes so I have something to wear.  Bit chilly even for me to go to work in the nuddie! 

Posted

If your heating is included in the rent, why is your room so chilly?

Because idiot here had the radiator switched off!

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

No .. but I have just lit my fire !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Only on some mornings and evenings to warm up the house, but not on full time or on the warmer days.

Does Mrs laserguy get a choice about the heating?

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Open fire lit here to, Infact it's not gone out for 4 days now. Im hoping to go a good while yet before the Arger goes on.

• Like 1

Posted

Nope - she gets the choice of which fluffy cardigan to wear. Heating still not on....

What's the Guinness world record for the most fluffy cardigans ever worn in one day? I'm sure I read somewhere that this record was set in south Yorkshire (uk) sometime in December 2010 :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

The heating has been on for a week here now, just a few hours early morning and evening. Will probably be switched off again this weekend with the milder weather forecast.

Posted

Nope - she gets the choice of which fluffy cardigan to wear. Heating still not on....

FYI, heat intolerance is pretty common if you are on the spectrum :)

Posted

FYI, heat intolerance is pretty common if you are on the spectrum :)

That's interesting. Do you know why that is the case?

Laserguy, is your house double glazed and possessed of modern insulation?

Posted

That's interesting. Do you know why that is the case?

Laserguy, is your house double glazed and possessed of modern insulation?

Because people with ASD are often 'hypersenstive' so they experience sensations in a far more exaggerated manner. So things like fireworks will sound like a bomb, a light tap may feel like a punch and a warm day might feel like they are in a desert. But sometimes there will just be hypersensitivity to one sensation in particular or a few.

CBT can often help for them to process this and handle it in a different way so life is more liveable for those with extreme cases.

Posted

Because people with ASD are often 'hypersenstive' so they experience sensations in a far more exaggerated manner. So things like fireworks will sound like a bomb, a light tap may feel like a punch and a warm day might feel like they are in a desert. But sometimes there will just be hypersensitivity to one sensation in particular or a few.

CBT can often help for them to process this and handle it in a different way so life is more liveable for those with extreme cases.

Thanks Lauren, I understand. I hadn't realised that ASD could cause those types of hypersensitivities.