Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Still got the open fire tinkling away most nights here to keep the chill off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The warm water is circulating around the hot water pipes from the buildings hot water system, although no radiators are actually switched on yet. That keeps it 21-22c with windows open in the morning to clear condensation (as per my contract!). If we get any sun (1 day in the last 10- yuk) then few more windows open around lunchtime before all closing up as it drops. Meant to head towards freezing this weekend so things may change...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Still not on here. When it starts getting cold it'll go on, probably.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

don't expect it to get cold enough this winter to turn on the heating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

don't expect it to get cold enough this winter to turn on the heating.

Next you'll be telling me Santa 'aint real!  :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Next you'll be telling me Santa 'aint real!  :rofl:

when you have lived in Canada and experienced -40c and below most winters it seriously just doesn't get cold enough here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Yes we have the heating on now. Even though the weather has been quite mild so far (no frosts yet) it is still cold outside and how anybody can go through even a mild winter without heating is just beyond me really!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

End of the day if your comfortable with it on or off then that is all good.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Only on too take the chill off.

Posted

when you have lived in Canada and experienced -40c and below most winters it seriously just doesn't get cold enough here

I take your point, but the UK is damp, and without heating mould and condensation will be problematic in most older style houses.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yeah my old place was a nightmare for condensation and damp. Both assist in the forming of mould which are very bad for your health. The ideal is to change the air daily (by opening windows for a time) and heat it enough to keep the damp off. Impossible in my old place as the heating could barely keep up with the windows closed never mind open! But I do open them daily here no matter what the weather, partly as its in the contract and partly since it so easy to keep the place warm. My internal temperature sensor logs produce fairly straight line graphs here whereas before there could be a 8-10c drop and rise across a 24 hour period.

Posted

Yeah my old place was a nightmare for condensation and damp. Both assist in the forming of mould which are very bad for your health. The ideal is to change the air daily (by opening windows for a time)......

We've got one of those nifty devices in the loft which draws fresh air from the outside and forces (potentially) stale air thru' air vents in the walls/door joints etc. Bye-bye condensation and black mould. Another bonus is that it keeps the house fractionally cooler than it would otherwise be - win win. Still no heating on here....

Posted

Still no heating on here....

A tough lot these Yorkies.

Been on and off since last week of Oct.

Hour in the morning, and a couple of hours in the evening to take the chill off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I could go through the whole winter, if I wore thick clothes and maybe gloves, for the very coldest times, without putting the heating on and not really suffer.

However, I like to walk about indoors in a fairly comfortable fashion - relatively lightly clothed.

A little heating in my house for a couple of hours in the evening and an hour in the morning, currently.

Edited by Steve C

Posted

A tough lot these Yorkies.

No,no,no! Don't say I'm 'tough' or 'hard' - you'll get 'cheese' all worked up. It's just how I am, and I wilt at the merest hint of warmth. Going out in ten minutes... in jeans and t-shirt.

• Like 3

Posted

Just lit the fire. 7.8c out 15c in the living room.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

No, just the wood burner running on old dead elm.  Discovered last year we can almost survive on this and save a fortune on heating oil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

No,no,no! Don't say I'm 'tough' or 'hard' - you'll get 'cheese' all worked up. It's just how I am, and I wilt at the merest hint of warmth. Going out in ten minutes... in jeans and t-shirt.

It's alright - I know you're a big softy deep down inside. Have a hug, old timer. hugs.gif

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Around about 5-30pm my car thermometer was saying it was 10c outside, either I'm getting old or 10c has become quite chilly.........

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted

It's been around 7c and raining off and on all day. Grey, misty, quite dark all day - anyone else think November is the worst month of the year?

Flicked heating on at 3 o'clock this afternoon.

• Like 2

Posted

It's been around 7c and raining off and on all day. Grey, misty, quite dark all day - anyone else think November is the worst month of the year?

Flicked heating on at 3 o'clock this afternoon.

it's been great, we've had 8-9 months of mild, warm, humid, bland boring weather, it's about time we saw some chilly wet days, i see the general public are already moaning about "how long this bad weather has been going on for" though

Edited by Tony27