Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Days when it is not sunny it does feel a bit chilly especially the main living room which faces east and does not get the stronger sun for long.

Yesterday touched 19C but we have had plenty of days below 15C and nights below 10C so a slow net cooling

Anyway have had wood stove on about twice a week for 2 or 3 hours in the evening - nice to have masses of 'free' hot water next day.

The south facing rooms do still warm up well when it's sunny.

I wonder if the lower sun hitting the glass more directly actually heats the inside better at this time of year than it can when higher in the sky? 

The power of it is reduced by going through the atmosphere at an angle though, I guess that is a stronger effect.

Yes I have noticed this effect too. Both in my office back in the UK and here it often feels hotter inside during August/September than in June as the lower solar angle covers more of the room. This is despite it being that bit weaker - it just covers more objects so warms more of the room contents. Might also be that it covers me in more sun too so you deffo feel warmer then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

It is still far too warm to turn the heating on yet, whilst the nights/early mornings can be a bit nippy it is better to give the fan heater a ten minute blast IMHO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Should'nt there be a thread have you turned your portable air con unit off yet? :D, poor thing is really struggling with this seemingly neverending humidity.

Been another day for the fan here!

Posted

We had no gas last week (as the supply pipe was "holed" in the street) and can't honestly say it was missed. Certainly no heating, multiple fans still doing their stuff right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Should'nt there be a thread have you turned your portable air con unit off yet? :D, poor thing is really struggling with this seemingly neverending humidity.

It'd be a quiet thread given that air con isn't really necessary in a place that rarely sees any hot weather. I admit being tempted by one this summer when it was 30+ by day and mins were around 22c but with maxes of 20c or less? No that would be very wasteful of energy.

Posted

Having to keep the doors and windows open here, oddly to still keep letting the heat in as the insulation continues its job of stopping any significant heat passing the building walls and roof when buttoned up, in or out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I have a feeling the heating will be coming on from this weekend onwards, hopefully just for an hour or two in the evenings.

Posted

I think everyone forms their opinion on this subject based on their own subjective experience. If you live in a heat trap then air con is highly useful - it is currently 23C in here, which is somewhat uncomfortably warm to sleep in for me and in warmer conditions it just plain too hot.

Building thermal efficiency, personal comfort requirements, and current weather conditions combine to produce different results case by case.

I could present an argument that central heating is a waste as it's only really needed about 15% of the year...for me, but the next person might need it a lot more to have the same comfort level.

---

The thermostat hasn't had much action here yet, but it's all ready to go to make me too hot again as deemed necessary.

Posted

I think everyone forms their opinion on this subject based on their own subjective experience. If you live in a heat trap then air con is highly useful - it is currently 23C in here, which is somewhat uncomfortably warm to sleep in for me and in warmer conditions it just plain too hot.

Building thermal efficiency, personal comfort requirements, and current weather conditions combine to produce different results case by case.

I could present an argument that central heating is a waste as it's only really needed about 15% of the year...for me, but the next person might need it a lot more to have the same comfort level.

---

The thermostat hasn't had much action here yet, but it's all ready to go to make me too hot again as deemed necessary.

Well yes true it is entirely dependent on your house & comfort levels. In my old house in Nottingham air con would be ludicrous - we didn't even use a fan once in 5 years. Even in the few days of hot weather we had in that 5 year period it never got above 25c during the hot part of the day (10am-2pm due to it facing south east - after that you had to open windows to let the heat in!). But central heating - well only the months of July & August were completely free of it with it generally running mid/late Sept to late April/early May. And this was just to keep it at 21c during occupied times of day.

But here in Berlin it a whole different ball game. Heating is done centrally for the apartment block but I can shut off the inlet valve. Which I did many times in March and finally early April and not touched it since. Windows open aplenty although tend to close some in evenings as it cools. Yes Berlin is warmer in Nottingham although not by that much at this time of year. 

But that being said... I still can't imagine using air con in the UK when its only 20c out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Heating? No need for that down here at all for a long time yet, maybe not at all if its mild enough. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

My computer heats my room superbly, so unless it's freezing outside, the heating stays off, which means my heating has been off for well over a year now.

Hope it still works!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Pullie and woolly socks on...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Not a chance ....... not yet anyway. It's been windows open for the whole of September but it sounds like I may have to "put them on the latch" this weekend 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

I would love nothing more than the chance to turn on the heating as to the cold outside but as yet those conditions have eluded me. So no.

Edited by simshady

Posted

Still not on here, in fact back door is wide open again, as I said before the insulation has meant the house inside can be significantly cooler than outside, fab in the summer, but it does feel a tad nippy in the evenings inside now, but no plans to engage the storage heaters yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Heating? I haven't stopped opening the windows yet  :rofl:

Another day, another drive home in warm summer like sunshine with the windows of the car down. 

• Like 2