Church Lawford (106 m) 3.0 °C

Bala (163 m) 3.0 °C

Coventry Airport (82 m) 3.0 °C

Aviemore (228 m) 3.0 °C

Farnborough (64 m) 3.0 °C

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

A cold night forecast for many inland parts of Scotland and more particularly Northern England under clear skies and light winds and a cooler air source. Lets see how low temps get, small chance one or two places could go under 0 degrees, but many places unlikely to see there first air frost of the season, but a number in such locations could see there first ground frost.

Its been a slow start to the season on the frost front.. but not unusually so, most places don't normally see there first air frost before mid October.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Well that's a turn up the first air frost min -0.3c did nt anticipate that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Almost made it this morning with a min temp/dewpoint of 0.6/0.2C according to my weather station. Some frost on car windscreens and patches of grass when I left the house at 8:45am, but only in shaded areas as the sun was out.

Posted

Any stats for mins last night? We recorded a ground frost at least with frost on grass and car windscreens first of the season and a bit of a wake up call.

Posted

Any stats for mins last night? We recorded a ground frost at least with frost on grass and car windscreens first of the season and a bit of a wake up call.

try the Wx Onlime site for air or ground min values?

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&TYP=tmin&ART=tabelle&LANG=en&DATE=1412283600&KEY=UK&LAND=UK&CONT=ukuk&SORT=3&SI=mph&CEL=C&UD=1

4 with an air frost and 17 with frost recorded at 5cm above the ground, which I guess is probably the grass min values or their equivalent?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

try the Wx Onlime site for air or ground min values?

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&TYP=tmin&ART=tabelle&LANG=en&DATE=1412283600&KEY=UK&LAND=UK&CONT=ukuk&SORT=3&SI=mph&CEL=C&UD=1

4 with an air frost and 17 with frost recorded at 5cm above the ground, which I guess is probably the grass min values or their equivalent?

Thanks for this weblink. Shap got down to 1 degrees, so I guess we bottomed out at about 2 degrees, it was 3 degrees at 8.30am. Big big contrasts with London Heathrow at 15 degrees, a different world!

Posted

for those interested had to scrape ice from car window this morning approx. 7.00am. no frost to be seen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Nowhere near an air frost here yet but last night managed the first ground frost of the season.

I'ts the earliest date for the first ground frost since 2008 and 11 days earlier than the 37 year average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Very close in Benson last night it seems

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/gcpjxj1hq

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Shobdon hit exactly 0.0C at 6am.

Not sure if that classes as an air frost, Met Office definition:

"An air frost is usually defined as the air temperature being below freezing point of water at a height of at least one metre above the ground."

Posted

This time of year used to be about when you would start looking for the first air frost. Fat chance of that happening nowadays.

Despite a max of only 9.8C yesterday and clear skies overnight it got no lower than 4.8C. Pathetic when just a few days ago it reached 3.7C from a max of 16.1C.

Autumn yet to beat the low of 3.0C recorded nearly 6 weeks ago on 25th August. It's reminiscent of the situation in the dire spring where the acute lack of warmth meant it took until mid-May before we beat the warmest reading of the year from mid-March. 

Edited by Richard2901

Posted

I'm surprised you say that considering many places already had at least one frost.
Here we wouldn't particularly expect expect one until after mid-month. 

Posted

Second air frost this season -0.1c last night

See the weather in Aberdeen is dire as usual :)

• Like 1

Posted

Second air frost this season -0.1c last night

See the weather in Aberdeen is dire as usual :)

Lack of frost in Aberdeen is likely caused by sea surface temperatures around 2c above average. Very warm nights have been the theme in many coastal spots around the UK during September and early October, especially the south coast and south Wales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Lack of frost in Aberdeen is likely caused by sea surface temperatures around 2c above average. Very warm nights have been the theme in many coastal spots around the UK during September and early October, especially the south coast and south Wales.

Well not too far inland my weather station recorded a min of -0.3C last night and there was certainly some light frost on the grass in my back garden when I looked out.

Posted

We had our first air frost last night - hooray! a little earlier than normal, a much sharper one than last Thursday's, not sure how low temps got, but we were at 1 degrees at half 8, I suspect nudging -1 degrees, Shap was -3 degrees, indeed Cumbria was under a window of clear air, it was a jolly cold start to the day, alas because localised no mention of it. Max today of just 9 degrees - a mean of 4.5 degrees a substantially colder than normal October day - looking at the charts today you wouldn't expect such temperatures.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Fell to -1'C here in the early hours, nice to see autumn getting going!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Ah Richard - I have been a member on here since December 2009 and it would not be the same without a weekly moan from you.

Daft question but...ever thought about moving? :-)

Air frost here this morning and a thick fog to boot - sheer bliss.

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted

Ah Richard - I have been a member on here since December 2009 and it would not be the same without a weekly moan from you.

Daft question but...ever thought about moving? :-)

Air frost here this morning and a thick fog to boot - sheer bliss.

Indeed, you don't have to travel far from Aberdeen to hit notorious cold spots such as Braemar and Aboyne, both of which have seen a few frosts already. Being on the coast modifies temperatures substantially.

We had our first air frost last night - hooray! a little earlier than normal, a much sharper one than last Thursday's, not sure how low temps got, but we were at 1 degrees at half 8, I suspect nudging -1 degrees, Shap was -3 degrees, indeed Cumbria was under a window of clear air, it was a jolly cold start to the day, alas because localised no mention of it. Max today of just 9 degrees - a mean of 4.5 degrees a substantially colder than normal October day - looking at the charts today you wouldn't expect such temperatures.

-2.5°C at Shap was their first air frost of the season also, marginally later than the average date over the last 10 years of October 4th. Keswick just missed out at 0.3°C.

More notable was the first frost for Tulloch Bridge which has been probably the earliest site over the last few years averaging 15th September from 2004-13.

Altnaharra is usually not far behind averaging 23rd September but is still waiting this year.

Posted

First air frost here was a couple of days ago on October 5. Temperature fell to -0.4C.