Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First air frost of the 2014/15 season

Posted

After Braemar had 1.8 C last night and 0.8 C 0n 5th August(coldest place in europe that day) i thought I should start this thread. Aviemore , aboyne, altnaharra and dalwhinnie are recording temperatures near freezing point recently.

So where would be the first air frost of the season and where?

For Scotland : Braemar mid to late august

For England : redesdale camp mid september

For Wales : Sennybridge mid september

For NI: katesbridge early september

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

i'm in a new area for me so i don't know when we'll get our first frost here last year was awful in my old house i think i saw about 2 or 3 frosts

Posted

For our area it's typically in the first half of November - don't know the probability that somewhere in the UK with a weather station (such as Braemar) will have an air frost in August, but guess it's slightly more likely than 50/50 in any given year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Normally I can get a frost in late October or early November last year we had very few frosts around 6 for Autumn and winter combined

Posted

Next week could deliver a temperature at or even below freezing in one of the cold spots in Scotland thanks to the very cool uppers - it will need a calm night to do it.

I remember I started this thread last year, but I can't remember our first air frost, I think it was very late last year possibly early November - October was a very mild month. However in 2012 we saw a harsh frost in the latter part of September.

On average I think early Sept delivers the first air frost in the UK, usually in the northern highlands somewhere like Kinbrace or Altnaharra, Braemar or Aviemore. In England usually late September either Redesdale Camp or Shap, occasionally somewhere like Benson or Rickmansworth - notorious frost hollows.

We tend to see our first air frost early October.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

The suburbs of London will experience a frost in the early hours of 16th October......my confident prediction :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I don't think it often takes that long in more prone parts of southern England with late September and October being prime candidates..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I think late October is typical for my patch. September air frost is very rare - it last happened here in 1986 - so not in my lifetime.

Edited by cheese

Posted

You pretty much need to be in a rural frost hollow to go below freezing until well into October as a rule.
We used to grow dahlias which are very frost prone - usually they were at their best in September and it was rare for them to be blackened until after mid-October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Hopefully never.

If I had to guess, it'll be around December 12th here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Tricky one as the earliest air frost I've recorded is October 19th in 2002, and the latest December 01st in 2009. So I'll go for November 10th.

Posted

September 23 2012 produced a widespread air frost in northern parts, we saw a minimum of -3 degrees, with frost lingering well into the late morning. Certainly a calm still clear night under polar air by late September can easily deliver an air frost to much of central UK.

As for this year, well frost prone parts of Highlands could see one or two more ground frosts at least next week, but can't see an air frost in England and Wales yet.

On average October delivers the first air frost to frost prone parts of England and Wales. The first air frost of the season is always an evocative occasion.

Posted

Are we certain there hasn't been an air frost already. Aboyne registered 0.2 last month.

Braemar recorded -2.1 , aviemore -1.1 as well as air frosts for altnaharra , kinbrace ,topcliffe and the usual spots in highlands last month. Katesbridge also recorded -1.9 C

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Mmm BBC are suggesting some places far north England could get down to 0 degrees tonight, yet when you look at the forecasts for overnight lows, no place is suggested to get below 6 degrees - cold spots such as Otterburn, Alston 6's and 7's. Here we are predicted a balmy 9 degrees...

Why is there always a lot of discrepancy with the BBC 5 day forecasts and what the national TV bulletins show. The BBC 5 day forecasts for minimums always appear to be on the very high conservative side - its very misleading as many people now go online for info and would be forgiven for thinking absolutely no chance of a ground frost tonight.

Rant over..

Yes there is a strong chance that many in sheltered northern parts of England could see there first ground frost at least tonight, with one or two spots recording an air frost. Its a cool high overhead and with little wind to stir things, a cold night is on the cards.

Good to be able to resurrect this thread after the recent warmth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Much colder than the Met were forecasting tonight - already below 6C with clear skies and no wind. Eskdalemiur is 2.7C, Redesdale Camp is 3.5C, Topcliffe 3.8C. First air frost for England?

Would be cool to get a ground frost here - as in,visible frost, rather than a subzero grass temperature.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well it's 4.9°c here, so there's a chance of a ground frost! First of the season :)

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Several places officially down to just over 1c with some having ground frost.

Coldest Redesdale 1.1c (to 0600 UTC) but no ground frost recorded (grass min 0.0c), while Benson was the coldest spot on the ground (-2.0c) achieved with an air min of 1.2c.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynext?lang=en&state=United+K&rank=100&ano=2014&mes=09&day=22&hora=06&Send=send

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?LANG=en&UP=0&R=310&TYP=tminboden&ART=tabelle&LANG=en&DATE=1411371000&KEY=UK&LAND=UK&CONT=ukuk&SORT=3&SI=mph&CEL=C&UD=1

Here in our garden the air min 1.6c grass +0.4c with no visible (or invisible  :) ) frost!

Edited by TonyH