Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere Autumn/Winter 2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Ice is looking a lot better this year, closer to the 2000 average by the look of things

Posted Image

Its ironic our best winters of late have been when the ice has been very low but lets hope this winter is a cold and snowy one otherwise I cant stand winter at all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

excelent good to see this thread up an runningg. summer have been excelent this year and last lets hope it carries on till the end but nights are drawing in and autumns just around the corner so like i said good to see this thread back. may it be a cold and snowy winter last winter almost came close to 88-89.

• Like 1

Posted

Its ironic our best winters of late have been when the ice has been very low but lets hope this winter is a cold and snowy one otherwise I cant stand winter at all.

We need low seaice between Siberia and Alaska. http://www.tos.org/oceanography/archive/26-4_cohen.html page 5 & 6.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
Talk of winter !! ,haven't had my holiday yet .......And me! if I see icebergs off the coast of Weymouth next weekend, it'll be the best holiday ever :D
Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

summer has a way to go yet and we have autumn to pass, winter is as far ahead as it was before us.

not necessarily the earliest snow to fall widespread even in London was in September albeit it was over a hundred years ago but nov/dec 2010 had only happened a hundred years earlier so one year we could see a September snowfall and maybe even a decent cold snap and hopefully it will be this year

On 25 September 1885 snow was reported to have fallen at London and Wallington in Surrey making it the earliest fall of snow on the capital.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/snow/snow-in-the-uk

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

62/63, 78/79 and 46/47 were all pretty special winters and would have had far more ice over the pole in the summers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

62/63, 78/79 and 46/47 were all pretty special winters and would have had far more ice over the pole in the summers.

How did they know? CryoSat has only been measuring Arctic ice since 1978/9.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

Today's image for you guys. Don't expect too much movement yet :-P

Posted Image

Haha, an expected chart and as you said, movement isn't expected :p It's lovely to see this thread up and running already and everyone loves a bit of pre-discussion, and what's more, it's only around 3-7 weeks when we do see movement so not long to go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Haha, an expected chart and as you said, movement isn't expected :p It's lovely to see this thread up and running already and everyone loves a bit of pre-discussion, and what's more, it's only around 3-7 weeks when we do see movement so not long to go.

Week 31 (last week) tends to be very often the minimum. 2.43million sq km at present (2m of that Greenland)

Interesting to look at the historic weekly trends in the NH

3 weeks time should be at cira 3.65m and 8.19m in 7 weeks time (late september)

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/table_area.php?ui_set=0&ui_sort=0

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Happy to see this thread back.

Given the October link i'd say that we want only slow growth during September, for now we should focus on the cold pool and hope that gets large and cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

How did they know? CryoSat has only been measuring Arctic ice since 1978/9.

Sea ice records was mapped well before satellite images.  I should know because  helped compile the ice charts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

I am not sure about the summer ice extent, but I do know that in the late winter of 1968 , ice linked Greenland and Iceland and Polar Bears crossed the bridge. This period also coincided with a run of cold winters of the 60s in the UK. So I would assume more ice in the Arctic will mean more colder winters for the UK  in general.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Whilst I have no doubt that was true I was only referring to recent winters and it's clear the sudden 2007 drop was followed by a series of Colder winters. Coincidence perhaps. Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

First patch of snow in Russia

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Posted Image

And so it begins.................winter 2014 / 15

:)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
Radiating Dendrite, on 12 Aug 2014 - 08:10, said:

And so it begins.................winter 2014 / 15

:)

It's great isn't it :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted

Posted Image

yay!! told you all so! :-D It won't last long though, but there will be bits and bobs of snow patches, popping in and out of existence, for the next few days!   The cold pool looks to be growing pretty rapidly this year? Any thoughts? 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

And here is the map to prove it.

Posted Image

Where is this map from?? Really good one at that.

Posted

Where is this map from?? Really good one at that.

You should be able to find it here http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/climate/world-maps/world-snow-ice-cover.html

Has anyone tried to get on the noaa snow maps today? The website seems to broken. And the maps from the website on here are gone.

???

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Got it, thanks! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

I love seeing the transition to winter on that cam, and  the icebreaker looks cool parked up.

Ramps things up nice and early for me in the Autumn and sort of says "look what you may get some of later on"

http://longyearbyen.borealiswebcam360.com/ download a snapshot and compare in months time!

http://sveaspitzbergen.livecam360.com/flash/main.php

http://livecam360.com/