Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere Autumn/Winter 2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

One has to look at what Dec 2010 brought though, so is the extra snowcover better?

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

December 2010 was the second coldest December on record @ -0.7c

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

December 2010 was the second coldest December on record @ -0.7c

Indeed, and the snowcover was a lot less than this year...

BFTP

• Like 5

Posted

We could hope if December does turn out cold - with the extra snow cover this year maybe it will help the cold extend in to January?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: erratic weather,week of v.heavy snow or cold

We could hope if December does turn out cold - with the extra snow cover this year maybe it will help the cold extend in to January?

December 2010 can keep that record :cold: cold , it would be painful beating it! 

But do we get a proper winter this year?!

January 15th  2011 post-15601-0-17407600-1415624445_thumb.g

Room for improvements this time?!

Euro peak

December 19th 2010 post-15601-0-91460600-1415624838_thumb.g

Edited by LincolnSnowstorm
  • Like 1

Posted

December 2010 was cold, but I get the distinct feeling many on here won't be happy until we see DJF all returning negative CET monthly values. 

I'll be happy with some snow in each of the months - especially around Christmas.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Today compared to the same day in 2010 shows a huge increase in the southern lying snow for this year, in fact as shown on the third image it didn't push that far south till the beast awoke and we began to get pummelled.

Now - 

cursnow_asiaeurope1_zps6bb99e0b.gif

2010 -

ims2010313_asiaeurope_zps20df724d.gif

Late nov 2010 - The ice then is not much more ahead of where we are now.

ims2010332_asiaeurope_zps7682ec47.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Today compared to the same day in 2010 shows a huge increase in the southern lying snow for this year, in fact as shown on the third image it didn't push that far south till the beast awoke and we began to get pummelled.

Now - 

2010 -

will be interesting to compare in 18 days if it still compares ...will not throw in the towel if does not! :sorry:  

• Like 2

Posted

Now -

2010 -

So in about 20 days, the snow cover increased hugely across western Russia and most of NW Europe in 2010. That was an enormous increase. In fact, it almost doubled in surface area, especially if you include N America. Edited by picog
  • Like 3

Posted

The MOD thread is starting to crack up due to short sightedness.

The next 10 days over N America with Arctic incursion will amplify the N Atlantic pattern with rain and above average temps for UK. Flooding likely.

Snow coverage to N America will be high. No advance to Western Europe until minimum 2 weeks as this process plays out and only then can we be expecting to see westward advance of snow line.

Personally I think 5 weeks for UK to be included/ on the boundary line if all factors play out. Sand bags at the ready it's the unfortunate side to us getting cold but a necessary part

• Like 2

Posted

So in about 20 days, the snow cover increased hugely across western Russia and most of NW Europe in 2010. That was an enormous increase. In fact, it almost doubled in surface area, especially if you include N America.

It went fast in 2010, my point is more in the southerly track of the snow, we are massively ahead of 2010 right now.

The mod thread is falling to pieces atm, some really seasoned posters are going mad!

• Like 3

Posted

Today we have had some big meltback -

cursnow_asiaeurope_zps09c5f3ab.gif

In 2010 the snow had got more into Scandi by now but the snow and ice were both in orders of magnitude behind this year -

ims2010314_asiaeurope_zpscba51c3a.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

More melt back to come over the next couple of days is certainly possible. However, later into the weekend and into the following week, things should improve, especially towards the Northeast and Eastern Europe. Run the forecast animation for Saturday onwards on Weather Online, which I've linked to previously in order to see what I mean. 

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted

Cold grips 2 million sq km of Siberia and 35 decrees below zero and its not even winter yet !some parts of Russia even colder. Siberian-cold-10Nov2014.gif

1 Summit (Greenland) 04416 -58.7°F 2 Ekyuchchyu (Russia) 24361 -54.6°F 3 Ojmjakon (Russia) 24688 -54.2°F 4 Agayakan (Russia) 24684 -54.0°F 5 Verhojansk (Russia) 24266 -53.9°F 6 Iema (Russia) 24477 -53.0°F 7 Hatyryk-Homo (Russia) 24643 -51.9°F 8 Berdigestyah (Russia) 24758 -51.5°F 9 Ust-Nera (Russia) 24585 -51.3°F 10 Bestyahskaya Zveroferma (Russia) 24449 -51.2°F 11 Yurty (Russia) 24588 -49.0°F 12 Delyankir (Russia) 24691 -48.5°F 13 Batagaj (Russia) 24263 -48.1°F 14 Tompo (Russia) 24671 -47.6°F 15 Njurba (Russia) 24639 -47.2°F.http://www.daculaweather.com/4_world_extremes.php?extremes=North

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 5

Posted

Nice big new blob moving west. Big growth in Scandi, and Canada will be whited out soon enough I think!

cursnow_asiaeurope_zpsbbdfcfca.gif

Comparing to 2010 we see we are still a LONG way ahead, the next 2 weeks will be fascinating

ims2010315_asiaeurope_zpsd9523f2b.gif

In just 18 days it went from the above to this -

ims2010334_asiaeurope_zps5b3ecea1.gif

It is also worth a look at last year, while the difference is snow is immediately striking between this and today the ice is another world. 

ims2013315_asiaeurope1_zps2e6392a0.gif

As always this is just 1 of the many factors we need right to get the snow here but I think we can comfortably say this year will end up ahead of 2010 in terms of overall average coverage, even a significant meltback couldn't stop that now. Every day that passes with this much snow the air is cooling over a swathe of the world and this means if and when the other things click into place we have the chance to get hit hard.

Edited by throwoff
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Nice big new blob moving west. Big growth in Scandi, and Canada will be whited out soon enough I think!

cursnow_asiaeurope_zpsbbdfcfca.gif

Comparing to 2010 we see we are still a LONG way ahead, the next 2 weeks will be fascinating

ims2010315_asiaeurope_zpsd9523f2b.gif

In just 18 days it went from the above to this -

ims2010334_asiaeurope_zps5b3ecea1.gif

It is also worth a look at last year, while the difference is snow is immediately striking between this and today the ice is another world. 

ims2013315_asiaeurope1_zps2e6392a0.gif

As always this is just 1 of the many factors we need right to get the snow here but I think we can comfortably say this year will end up ahead of 2010 in terms of overall average coverage, even a significant meltback couldn't stop that now. Every day that passes with this much snow the air is cooling over a swathe of the world and this means if and when the other things click into place we have the chance to get hit hard.

The only thing that is kind of worrying to me is the lack of snow over Norway etc , yes it's well developed in Eurasia and Central Russia , but this next wk or so really is quite mild across Europe in general , and Norway and parts of Scandi is still quite bare , but I undertand it's more about the October build up of snow that's important ?
  • Like 1

Posted

As I understand it, and I am very much an enthusiastic amateur but have read a great many posts on the subject from members far more qualified the growth in the second two weeks of October 'appear' to have a correlation to snow and temperatures in the UK over the rest of the winter.

I think this is very much a debatable thing but clearly these images show that the snow and ice have built and therefore cold air is sitting over a huge swathe of the Northern Landmasses now.

Today we have seen a bit of the expected melt in the West but a massive growth in the East as well as a chunk of new sea ice formed. Scandi remains almost identical.

cursnow_asiaeurope_zpse478e316.gif

Edited by throwoff
  • Like 2

Posted

Looking at Rovaniemi webcams, it's very cold in Finland at the moment, they're getting -7C to -9C as typical daily temps. This is very early for them. No snow though

Too cold for snow! needs to warm a bit first! http://www.yr.no/place/Finland/Laponia/Rovaniemi/hour_by_hour.html

post-15601-0-16756800-1415905191_thumb.j-14c post-15601-0-39079800-1415905201_thumb.j Got the tree up I see!

Almost a case of  the polar express  being  stolen from Rovaniemi  and taken to Switzerland here at 17.30!  13/11/14 https://www.webcam-4insiders.com/de/Wetter-Kleine%20Scheidegg/1026-Kleine%20Scheidegg-Wetter.php

Posted

USA is the snow boss at the minute post-15601-0-54847200-1415972063_thumb.p 3 day update post-15601-0-50008500-1416194081_thumb.p

Having said that, the forecast was not that amazing! 

on http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2014/11/13/weather-forecast-friday/18996289/

update http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/harsh-cold-to-freeze-northeast/37451243

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-video/breaking-widespread-accumulat/3182336076001

• Like 1

Posted

USA is the snow boss at the minute attachicon.gif2014317.png

Having said that, the forecast was not that amazing! 

on http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2014/11/13/weather-forecast-friday/18996289/

I see western Europe is at a deficit compared with normal, hopefully that's nothing to wory about at this stage. Would have prefered to see the blue excess in Europe than the usa.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Can somebody post the Cohen November chart, this looks fairly good.

post-12275-0-08095500-1415995751_thumb.g

Posted

I see western Europe is at a deficit compared with normal, hopefully that's nothing to wory about at this stage. Would have prefered to see the blue excess in Europe than the usa.

Me too but Its mainly in Western Russia in that image and has happened before 2010 post-15601-0-54070700-1416010801_thumb.p same date.

Just need Scandinavia to get its act together. next 3 days post-15601-0-28418200-1416010839_thumb.j

3 and 6 day update now going for places like poland..progress?! post-15601-0-30065600-1416194860_thumb.j post-15601-0-25601000-1416194898_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The latest weekly sea ice extent update is here https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/74411-arctic-ice-data-and-stats/?p=3070843

• Like 2