Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible storm 'Bertha'

Posted

Just had an absolute torrent f rain, convection drawing up quickly, no T&L though. Wind picked up a bit, but died down now it's passed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Welcome to NetWeather Mercury :-) (I have always wanted to be the first to do that!).

PS: Have you seen what's headed for the Netherlands/Belgium?  :shok:

Rotterdam about to get blasted  

http://www.virtualvisit.nl/webcam/index.htm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Quite a string breeze with strong gusts here but glorious n sunny. Washing drying nicely, plants repotted just a lovely afternoon really. Thanks Bertha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just had an absolute torrent f rain, convection drawing up quickly, no T&L though. Wind picked up a bit, but died down now it's passed.

I expect that is what gave a sferic to my east as it passed over about half an hour ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm Forcasting

Firstly hello everybody I'm new to Net Weather s hello to everyone on this thread I hope to get to know some of you delightful people here. I'm from Derbyshire just 15 miles from Derby city so my reports will be around that area for today. Well this morning the rain started to spill in to Derby around 7:40am and eventually hit my town around about 8am, it was pretty persistent and with heavy pulses at times. The map shows that the heaviest intense rainfall just skirted just north of me but still had a good soaking this morning. Some squalls followed yet no thunderstorms just a few sharp showers followed as it passed NNE around 12pm.

Currently the wind has picked up slightly. 

• Like 2

Posted

Ooh is that a radar blib or something odd developing from Winchester to Swindon?

that even on raintoday could link to lancashires creating new squall line

Welcome Stormchaser90 and Mercury Rising.

Edited by vladthemert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

yep agreed seemed this may cause winds to taper a bit.   Not expert is there something trying to develop near Liverpool and Manchester.

Not an expert either by any means but I agree with you. Having looked at the radar I think I can finally make some sense of where we are. There is a low in Liverpool Bay (I think that's what the area between N Wales, the Isle of Man and Lancashire is called) and a line of convection (potential future squall line?) developing in advance of this. There is also a second low developing off the N Yorks coast. This is the area that passed over you and I just over an hour ago. This would explain the dramatic wind shifts we experienced and would tie-in with the forecasts regarding two low pressure centres.

Anyway have a look at the radar loop and see if you agree with me.

Edit: there is also an electrified streamer on the Pembrokeshire/Carmarthenshire border...

Edited by Muffelchen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Firstly hello everybody I'm new to Net Weather s hello to everyone on this thread I hope to get to know some of you delightful people here. I'm from Derbyshire just 15 miles from Derby city so my reports will be around that area for today. Well this morning the rain started to spill in to Derby around 7:40am and eventually hit my town around about 8am, it was pretty persistent and with heavy pulses at times. The map shows that the heaviest intense rainfall just skirted just north of me but still had a good soaking this morning. Some squalls followed yet no thunderstorms just a few sharp showers followed as it passed NNE around 12pm.

Currently the wind has picked up slightly. 

Hi, and from all of us a big warm welcome to you and we really hope your time on Netweather is truly enjoyable! Please could you put your location on your avatar. Many thanks..... :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Not an expert either by any means but I agree with you. Having looked at the radar I think I can finally make some sense of where we are. There is a low in Liverpool Bay (I think that's what the area between N Wales, the Isle of Man and Lancashire is called) and a line of convection (potential future squall line?) developing in advance of this. There is also a second low developing off the N Yorks coast. This is the area that passed over you and I just over an hour ago. This would explain the dramatic wind shifts we experienced and would tie-in with the forecasts regarding two low pressure centres. Anyway have a look at the radar loop and see if you agree with me.

Northeast Wales, the Isle of Man, and Merseyside.

Posted

We've got a nice squall here looks like maybe Sheffield, Leeds, Bradford and York will see some activity within the next hour or so 

post-22596-0-73621300-1407682039_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, torrential rain.

We've got a nice squall here looks like maybe Sheffield, Leeds, Bradford and York will see some activity within the next hour or so 

Hopefully has Barnsley's name on it!

Posted

Hopefully has Barnsley's name on it!

Yes it looks like Barnsley is in the firing. Some activity is showing up over Sheffield now. 

Posted

Not an expert either by any means but I agree with you. Having looked at the radar I think I can finally make some sense of where we are. There is a low in Liverpool Bay (I think that's what the area between N Wales, the Isle of Man and Lancashire is called) and a line of convection (potential future squall line?) developing in advance of this. There is also a second low developing off the N Yorks coast. This is the area that passed over you and I just over an hour ago. This would explain the dramatic wind shifts we experienced and would tie-in with the forecasts regarding two low pressure centres.

Anyway have a look at the radar loop and see if you agree with me.

Edit: there is also an electrified streamer on the Pembrokeshire/Carmarthenshire border...

yep agree we seem to be in an eye at moment storm cloud circling to the coast bit nasty stuff inland heading our way.   I believe the Cape is issue from now on so bigger chance for development.   Winds picking up too now.

ps anybody near Hull reports from ukweatherworld that tornado's coming in

Edited by vladthemert

Posted

Printed off a thousand "I survived Bertha T-shirts.."Yours for a quid :) ok. 50p.

:rofl:  you know some business already beat you will try cash in.

Edited by vladthemert
  • Like 1

Posted

Some dark clouds to the SW now, wind picking up.

post-15895-0-17375900-1407684135_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Interesting day started from nothing to rain, dark skies, a nice heavy T-storm, bit of wind, passing shower. I'm happy.

Posted

Nigel Bolton saying a triple point occurring in hull area.  I had to check what it was.

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints2/530/

You have probably heard of a triple play and the trifecta, but have you heard of the triple point? This writing is about the frontal triple point but I will mention another triple point you may have heard of and that is for water. The triple point of water is where ice, liquid water and water vapor can all exist at the same time. At a specific temperature (O C) and pressure (6.11 mb) water has its triple point.

Okay, now to the frontal triple point. Three basic frontal types you will see drawn on surface maps are the warm front, cold front and occluded front. The warm front is generally found to the right of the low pressure center. It is where the warm sector is wrapping around the low pressure system. The cold front is typically on the left side wrapping colder air around the low pressure system. Since the cold front typically moves faster than the warm front, where the cold front lifts the warm front will result in an occluded front. The triple point is where the occluded front, cold front and warm front all intersect. This intersection point will have a great amount of lifting. If enough moisture is wrapping in from the warm sector than big rains and storms can fire along the triple point and along the fronts and wrap into the low pressure. There is a great amount of wind shear also near the triple point and fronts. Severe weather will often fire up ahead of the cold front, along the warm front and near the triple point where shear is enhanced. Below is a depiction of a low pressure system with the fronts and where the triple point is located.

Posted Image

Posted

Wind is really howling now.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-5.39,53.84,2949

Shows perfectly the centre of the low just at the east coast now.

Edited by Darren Bown
  • Like 3

Posted

Nice squall line just passed through now. Some Thunder and occasional lightening just behind it.

Posted

Wind is really howling now.http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-5.39,53.84,2949Shows perfectly the centre of the low just at the east coast now.

Yes,ties in nicely with the xcweather map.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Worse? As in dry & sunny and a pleasant 22°C? Like it is here? :laugh:

No. LOL :D I meant we could have seen stronger winds if earlier models came out to be what happened.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Mainly sunny here with a gusty W wind, feels warm in the sun. Not bad for an ex hurricane lol