Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot days in August

Posted

That's interesting. Can you remember what the rest of August 2005 had been like? I don't remember it being overly warm, although I recall the July being a fairly hot one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

hot days in august seem rare, as it's normally dominated by Atlantic lows, infact today and all of next week will be more like autumn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cloudy in summer, sunny in winter.

And yet it's fine for you to be lumped in with East Anglia? You're a lot closer to Birmingham than Norwich.

As for that radar image you posted, if the clouds are moving north then you must have got all that rain over Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire. Or did it just magically appear out of nowhere?

derby is further west than leicester, most atlantic weather ends about 10 miles west of leicester. we usually "just miss it" as i posted before I often see it out my window to the west visible but not overhead.  we didnt completely miss this bertha but only was on the outskirts with the bits sticking out to the east.  The worst of it went over manchester according to that radar.

and no its not right I am lumped in east anglia either, the met needs to break it down to smaller regions.

e.g. what happens if a north sea storm hits sheringham, cromer etc. do they put all of norfolk on weather alert and that suddenly means norwich is affected as well?

Edited by chrcoluk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Last day of August 2005 was a scorcher in the SEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVpmbgmt3XI

I remember that day very well, more so for the spectacular thunderstorms that followed on throughout the evening and night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I recall that August 2005 had a cool first half and a warm second half which largely cancelled each other out.  It was a dry and sunny month (though not exceptionally so) overall for much of England, Wales and southern Scotland, but a dull month in northern Scotland and in East Anglia.  The heat on the 31st August didn't really penetrate into northern parts of England but the thunderstorms emphatically did.  I was about to start my MRes course at Leeds and came to Leeds that day and got caught in the middle of a pretty intense electrical storm.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

The heat lovers should be happy its already very hot again here :(

been sunny all day and wind completely gone.

on the regional thing I been told derby has had rain today whilst leics is bone dry  ;)

Edited by chrcoluk

Posted

Sadly the threat of hot spells are diminishing, back in April I said this summer would be rather average. Not particularly warm and that seems to have come true, yes we got a few 30c days but nothing at all out of the norm. Little below then what you can expect in my location, This is certainly not a 2003. Humidity was more prevalent this time around then air temps. Compared to last years warmth this was a couple of levels down. Recently it has turned much cooler... Although August is considered a summer season I think it the transition month. More noticeable in September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

on the regional thing I been told derby has had rain today whilst leics is bone dry  ;)

Are you seriously suggesting Leicester has its own climate of drought and wall to wall sunshine??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Very hot? You having an absolute laugh?

Leicester had a shower at 7.15 according to radar... 

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Sadly the threat of hot spells are diminishing, back in April I said this summer would be rather average. Not particularly warm and that seems to have come true, yes we got a few 30c days but nothing at all out of the norm. Little below then what you can expect in my location, This is certainly not a 2003. Humidity was more prevalent this time around then air temps. Compared to last years warmth this was a couple of levels down. Recently it has turned much cooler... Although August is considered a summer season I think it the transition month. More noticeable in September.

Your location temps above average , night time temps way above average. Sunshine above average.

Certainly in top 20/30% for summers so far. Not sure what you mean 'a little bit below for my location'

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted

Are you seriously suggesting Leicester has its own climate of drought and wall to wall sunshine??

no just that very frequently clouds from the west are 5-10 miles west of leicester and dont move any further east.  This has been the case the last 2 summers where I observe the weather a lot, not sure about winter where I stop caring so much.  It tends to either move across to the south west of the country and then suddenly swing northwards so going up over wales, west midlands etc,  Or go diagonally up across the country in a north east direction but leics is almost consistently just below that diagonal line.

and we have had rain, but compared to derby we getting a lot less.  About an hour or so ago had a short shower whilst the sun was still shining, so was both at same time, but previous to that was sunny all day.

Not sure why people think an entire region must always have the same weather, even the bbc news reporter said yesterday its not unusual to see one street get heavy rain and 2 blocks away dry.

Temps have dropped off a lot now tho so looks like the night will be pleasant.

room temp is 26.1C compared to pre bertha about this time was about 29-30C.

Edited by chrcoluk

Posted

Your location temps above average , night time temps way above average. Sunshine above average.

Certainly in top 20/30% for summers so far. Not sure what you mean 'a little bit below for my location'

It depends what criteria you use to judge it on. This summer's been the best for years in terms of overall temps and sunshine, but there have been comparatively few very hot (30C+) days.

Personally I think this summer was better than last year because there's been more sunshine and overall warmth this year.

Edited by h2005uk

Posted
Recent August's have been dire for high temperatures here.  Since 1998 Dyce has recorded 25C only in the Augusts of 2006 and 2007 but this was achieved in 11 Augusts between 1975 and 1997 including very poor months like August 1987. Also four Septembers since 1998 have reached 25C and a fifth recorded 24.9C.

The longest run without reaching 25C in August was 11 years from 1948 to 1958  when the warmest was 24.4C in 1955. It hasn’t even reached 24C in August since 2007 and is not looking likely to do so this year so that would equal the record run from 1948 to 1954.

Also looking at the hottest August temperature by decade shows the 2000s had the lowest – even worse than the 1960s but so far this decade is far worse.

1940s: 26.7 (1947)
1950s: 27.2 (1959)
1960s: 26.8 (1964)
1970s: 28.4 (1976)
1980s: 26.8 (1983)
1990s: 29.7 (1995)
2000s: 26.0 (2006)
2010s: 23.7 (2013)  :shok:
Edited by Richard2901
  • Like 1

Posted

An unusual summer here in that it has been consistently warmer than average (up to the last few days, anyway) but without any sign at all of a real heatwave. It's quite rare for 30C not to be reached in a year here (since I moved here in 2002 it's only happened once, in 2011 - and even the dire summer of 2012 produced a short late July hot spell with a maximum of 30.2), but this year it looks a strong possibility.  Our highest temperature to date is only 28.2, which is well below par and the lowest for many years.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted

Recent August's have been dire for high temperatures here.  Since 1998 Dyce has recorded 25C only in the Augusts of 2006 and 2007 but this was achieved in 11 Augusts between 1975 and 1997 including very poor months like August 1987. Also four Septembers since 1998 have reached 25C and a fifth recorded 24.9C.

The longest run without reaching 25C in August was 11 years from 1948 to 1958  when the warmest was 24.4C in 1955. It hasn’t even reached 24C in August since 2007 and is not looking likely to do so this year so that would equal the record run from 1948 to 1954.

Also looking at the hottest August temperature by decade shows the 2000s had the lowest – even worse than the 1960s but so far this decade is far worse.

1940s: 26.7 (1947)
1950s: 27.2 (1959)
1960s: 26.8 (1964)
1970s: 28.4 (1976)
1980s: 26.8 (1983)
1990s: 29.7 (1995)
2000s: 26.0 (2006)
2010s: 23.7 (2013)  :shok:

Yes I would agree we are well overdue a good august,having said that 2 years ago we were well overdue a good july and we have had 2 together[just about anyway].A look through some met office data does suggest that august is really not a good month at all [see my comment on page 1].It is looking like we have had our hottest weather and once again august is not going to deliver so we shall have to wait another year so next year will probably be the hottest august of all time !!!

Posted

An unusual summer here in that it has been consistently warmer than average (up to the last few days, anyway) but without any sign at all of a real heatwave. It's quite rare for 30C not to be reached in a year here (since I moved here in 2002 it's only happened once, in 2011 - and even the dire summer of 2012 produced a short late July hot spell with a maximum of 30.2), but this year it looks a strong possibility.  Our highest temperature to date is only 28.2, which is well below par and the lowest for many years.

Yes, I've experienced the same which I detailed more in this post: http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79920-summer-2014-thread/?p=3022978

Posted

Yes - what's been remarkable is the narrow range that temperatures have stayed within and the lack of variation.  I haven't had a sub-20C day since the end of June and between 12 July and 10 August no days were below 22C, but we haven't even reached 29C at all, which I can't remember happening before in over 30 years, here in Reading and before in Southampton which gets broadly similar summer maxima.

In the meantime the probability of any hot days this August looks pretty low at present - the 25.5 we had on the 7th could conceivably end up being the top temperature here for the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Reached 31.1C on 18 August 1996 here, and 31C on the 19th.

On 12 August 1997, it reached 30.1C.

Reached 30.8C on 1 August 1999 and 31.4C the following day.

90F continues to remain elusive here.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Whatever is happening now is nice for me, temps feel just about right.  Not too hot and not too cold.

Posted

Whatever is happening now is nice for me, temps feel just about right.  Not too hot and not too cold.

Yes it must be great for you......been working up the tops today 14 deg with a strong wind and cloudy,had a thin jumper on but it was not enough with the windchill so I had to put my coat on...I do not see what those out there love about having to wear a coat in summer !!!!