Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Hot days in August

Posted

Any idea why this might be? More stable airmasses perhaps?

I've always wondered why it has a tendency to go t*ts up in August. One would think that a much smaller temperature gradient in the northern hemisphere would promote a weak jet stream. August and September must be similar to February and March in terms on temperature gradients - seasonal differences apply of course. So why such a change?

A steeper temperature gradient tends to support more convective type precipitation in the shape of heavy shortlived showers, and short sharp cold fronts with associated squalls - the weaker temperature gradient over the atlantic by August inhibits convection and hence we tend to see more 'stable' airstreams and 'frontal' rainfall.

I'm not sure why the Jetstream tends to increase in strength during August - as you say conditions are less than ideal for a strong polar vortex.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Down here in the SE we'll be lucky to see a day (daytime max) under 20ºC for a considerable part of the month. Even the CET max last month only dipped to 19.4ºC on the 8th with most days above 20ºC. Today was a typical day down here - whilst a lot of the rest of the country had considerable rainfall we avoided this and had warm sunny spells with temps in the low to mid 20's. I suspect August will continue in the same vein.

You make it sound like the SE is on a completely different continent to the rest if us. I think many of us including the Midlands, East Anglia and probably parts of Yorkshire etc experience very similar conditions to the SE overall. It's been above 20c every day for some time now here.

After mid August the chance of 30C+ in the midlands is drastically reduced, even in high summer we struggle to manage it, seems the SE London especially has its own climate compared to the rest of the UK, September maybe a summer month in the south but in central england it's definitely not a summer month to me because the days are too short especially late month which is the same day length as mid to late March and nobody in their right mind would call that summer, nights are noticeably cooler in September in the midlands, can get very cold in low lying valleys area's and days don't have that intensity of warmth that July does.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

After mid August the chance of 30C+ in the midlands is drastically reduced, even in high summer we struggle to manage it, seems the SE London especially has its own climate compared to the rest of the UK, September maybe a summer month in the south but in central england it's definitely not a summer month to me because the days are too short especially late month which is the same day length as mid to late March and nobody in their right mind would call that summer, nights are noticeably cooler in September in the midlands, can get very cold in low lying valleys area's and days don't have that intensity of warmth that July does.

Pretty much the same length of day in the South. Can get cold in Oxfordshire, Surrey way etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cloudy in summer, sunny in winter.

Eugene the west midlands gets "very" different weather to the east.

You guys get a lot of the atlantic rain, which 95% of the time misses leicester.  e.g. last year which was another abnormal hot summer the west of the country had lots of rain, but leicester was dry until the 3rd week of august it had nearly 8 weeks of continous dry weather.

Although may has more longer days than august, most of the time august is the warmer month, as what it seems to me temperatures lag behind seasons.  So e.g. june has the longest day of the year but july is almost always hotter than june.

Hectortheawesome, you missed the bit where uk has a rep for high humidity and unpleasant summers? (not due to wet weather but hot stuffy air), also the weather between NW and EM and south east is hugely different, often a difference of 5-10C and much less cloud/wind.  Right now at 3am, my room temp is 25.2C and outside air temp is 23.6C, so its hard to get over 20C? more like its a miracle to get below it.  It was raining for an hour as well, the first day I have had more than 10 mins of rain for over a month.  Wasnt heavy rain tho, just a long shower.

This predicted storm heading to the uk from the tropics I expect as usual will be overated, predicted floods gales etc. and I guess leics as always it will just be a little shower or something, wouldnt even surprise me if it stays sunny here during this supposed storm.

Edited by chrcoluk

Posted

Eugene the west midlands gets "very" different weather to the east. You guys get a lot of the atlantic rain, which 95% of the time misses leicester.  e.g. last year which was another abnormal hot summer the west of the country had lots of rain, but leicester was dry until the 3rd week of august it had nearly 8 weeks of continous dry weather. Although may has more longer days than august, most of the time august is the warmer month, as what it seems to me temperatures lag behind seasons.  So e.g. june has the longest day of the year but july is almost always hotter than june. Hectortheawesome, you missed the bit where uk has a rep for high humidity and unpleasant summers? (not due to wet weather but hot stuffy air), also the weather between NW and EM and south east is hugely different, often a difference of 5-10C and much less cloud/wind.  Right now at 3am, my room temp is 25.2C and outside air temp is 23.6C, so its hard to get over 20C? more like its a miracle to get below it.  It was raining for an hour as well, the first day I have had more than 10 mins of rain for over a month.  Wasnt heavy rain tho, just a long shower. This predicted storm heading to the uk from the tropics I expect as usual will be overated, predicted floods gales etc. and I guess leics as always it will just be a little shower or something, wouldnt even surprise me if it stays sunny here during this supposed storm.

What the heck? The West Midlands doesn't get much more rain than the East. A lot of rain is killed off in Wales so out climate is much more like yours than the West.
  • Like 1

Posted

Yeah, Atlantic fronts reaching Birmingham but dying out 95% of the time before reaching Leicester? :cc_confused:

And the west of the country didn't have lots of rain last summer. It was below average almost everywhere.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes it does, during all of august last year I watched sattelite images etc. like a hawk, consistently the west midlands got atlantic weather, even derby in the east midlands got it, a guy from derby was even posting on here about heavy rain, and I kept replying to him leics was bone dry and sunny.

birmingham gets tons more rain than leicester and is often also 2-3C lower even tho on a map its not t far away.

many days I look to the west and see cloud but directly above me and east is blue.  I even took pics and posted them on this forum last year.

you guys have short memories for sure, you cannot remember only last august was the west of england getting battered with rain? remember all the storm post's?  seriously?

Edited by chrcoluk

Posted

Yes it does, during all of august last year I watched sattelite images etc. like a hawk, consistently the west midlands got atlantic weather, even derby in the east midlands got it, a guy from derby was even posting on here about heavy rain, and I kept replying to him leics was bone dry and sunny. birmingham gets tons more rain than leicester and is often also 2-3C lower even tho on a map its not t far away. many days I look to the west and see cloud but directly above me and east is blue.  I even took pics and posted them on this forum last year. you guys have short memories for sure, you cannot remember only last august was the west of england getting battered with rain? remember all the storm post's?  seriously?

We shall have to agree to disagree I'm afraid. You only have to look at the climate averages on the MO to see your assumptions just aren't true. By storms are you referring thunderstorms? The west has seen more recently but do you seriously believe an Atlantic front just suddenly fizzles from heavy rain to sun between Birmingham and Leicester? LOL.

Posted

Last year whilst people were posting pictures of dark grey clouds and thunder I Was posting blue skies so yes.

There was even a cloud radar I watched last year on a day where almost the entire uk had cloud cover (rare, usually its west or east but not both) and it was sooo annoying, there was a little hole in the cloud directly over my city.  stayed like that all day.

Now looking at bertha predictions, guess what, heavy wain in the west, light or no rain in the east.  atlantic air often turns north when it hits the country.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/latest.aspx

There was huuuge differences between derby and leicester and derby is closer than birmingham.

And no the storm doesnt fizzle out that quick instead it simply doesnt pass over leics, as it moves north not east. although the storms do fizzle out quicker than you think,

Edited by chrcoluk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Last year whilst people were posting pictures of dark grey clouds and thunder I Was posting blue skies so yes.

There was even a cloud radar I watched last year on a day where almost the entire uk had cloud cover (rare, usually its west or east but not both) and it was sooo annoying, there was a little hole in the cloud directly over my city.  stayed like that all day.

Now looking at bertha predictions, guess what, heavy wain in the west, light or no rain in the east.  atlantic air often turns north when it hits the country.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/latest.aspx

There was huuuge differences between derby and leicester and derby is closer than birmingham.

And no the storm doesnt fizzle out that quick instead it simply doesnt pass over leics, as it moves north not east. although the storms do fizzle out quicker than you think,

It may be that what you are batting on about is right or generally right in the short term but as your neighbour seems to think otherwise it may not be right in the long term and is a short term anomaly.Am sure the met office have figures that will back up your claims why don't you have a look.As for predicting a storms path and precipitation patterns or even listening to the met on this that is a big mistake!!!!

Posted

Have the MET even predicted the path? they seem to only do very short forecasts.

Since I started taking an interest in weather from last summer, I have yet to see any atlantic storms go across my area, they tend to either go across the south eastwards so below me, or go up the west of the country turning north as soon as they hit the mainland.

Any rain my area gets is usually what comes from france and moves up through the midlands.

Edited by chrcoluk

Posted

From a news article

the usual west and southern coasts then.

The Met Office has issued a severe weather warning for rain for Sunday covering Wales and southern England, bringing at least a temporary end to a glorious summer.

Posted

From a news article

the usual west and southern coasts then.

If you look on the Met Office website you'll see that we have warnings for rain here in the East Midlands too.

Posted

From a news article the usual west and southern coasts then.

Have you seen the actual warning? Covers all of the East Midlands....

Posted

you mean this guys?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/flood-warnings/#?tab=floodWarnings

west midlands flood alert (red)

east midlands flood warning (orange) (my city is in the area they labelled anglian, the midlands bit is just west midlands)

The problem is that site seems too basic, are these warnings for next 2 hours?

next 3 days?

next week?

and its not very targeted reffering to the midlands all as one area.

Anyway I am glad its much more pleasant today, even if the rain doesnt reach here, at least the low pressure is cooling things down.

Edited by chrcoluk

Posted

Interesting to remember( or not lol ) after the record breaking heat of  August 2003 we were told by the Met Office to expect similar max temps (100'f) to occur one in three summers....... Fast forward  11 summers and we are still waiting..................

• Like 1

Posted

you mean this guys?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/flood-warnings/#?tab=floodWarnings

west midlands flood alert (red)

east midlands flood warning (orange) (my city is in the area they labelled anglian, the midlands bit is just west midlands)

No, Leicester is in the red area too. You don't live that far east!

• Like 1

Posted

you mean this guys?http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/flood-warnings/#?tab=floodWarningswest midlands flood alert (red)east midlands flood warning (orange) (my city is in the area they labelled anglian, the midlands bit is just west midlands)The problem is that site seems too basic, are these warnings for next 2 hours?next 3 days?next week?and its not very targeted reffering to the midlands all as one area.Anyway I am glad its much more pleasant today, even if the rain doesnt reach here, at least the low pressure is cooling things down.

Erm I hate to disappoint you but Leicester and Leicestershire come under the Midlands region not Anglian. Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted

west vs east and yes on the met map I am in the area marked as anglian. we have had maybe 2-3 hours rain today on and off with no wind, this supposed to be a storm?

Posted Image

Edited by chrcoluk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Erm I hate to disappoint you but Leicester and Leicestershire come under the Midlands region not Anglian.

depends on many things, for one ITV class it as part of EA in their local stuff, BBC do not IIRC, I am border of EA and all my news and weather is captured in the EA area details, proximity to a border can mean a lot too.

Posted

another image, note the clouds are moving north not eastwards.  see how leicester is on the cloud that sticking out but not the main bit (its sunny here now).  yet derby birmingham manchester etc. are not, so yes it can be quite different weather between west and east.

post-20643-0-91310100-1407677094_thumb.j

Posted

west vs east and yes on the met map I am in the area marked as anglian. we have had maybe 2-3 hours rain today on and off with no wind, this supposed to be a storm?

Posted Image

Looks like the East is receiving a lot more rain than here today! Plenty of heavy downpours over there. Just light to moderate rain here today and didn't last that long anyway.

Posted

depends on many things, for one ITV class it as part of EA in their local stuff, BBC do not IIRC, I am border of EA and all my news and weather is captured in the EA area details, proximity to a border can mean a lot too.

leics is officially eastmidlands, but the met have the border line too far to the west on their map

also I think lumping all of the midlands together .like they have isnt good enough as the weather wont be the same across that huge area.

Posted

also I think lumping all of the midlands together .like they have isnt good enough as the weather wont be the same across that huge area.

And yet it's fine for you to be lumped in with East Anglia? You're a lot closer to Birmingham than Norwich.

As for that radar image you posted, if the clouds are moving north then you must have got all that rain over Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire. Or did it just magically appear out of nowhere?

• Like 1