Sign in to follow this  
Jax

Ebola...

Why is the govt has to send troops to Sierra Leone? Don't blame Ebola if they got infected.

As the numbers grow, the less that will be officially reported as there is just insufficient ebola centres to cope with the huge demand.  The WHO already admits that the reported numbers are well below the actual figures - nobody knows what the tally really is.

It is a depressing fact that Spain, in a modern well equipped facility, could not prevent infection of their health care professionals and also a conundrum as to why, fully covered/protected individuals submit but some, openly exposed to a large viral load, never show symptoms.

I've read that just one virion of the ebola strain is enough to infect someone. Frightening just how infectious this is. Put it this way, if it becomes an issue here I won't be turning into my customer facing job and I'll be staying at home until it has passed. My housemate already made a comment yesterday that we should perhaps start getting a few tinned items/bottled water in just incase.....Sounds OTT but it's always best to be prepared!

Reading around various sources, the overwhelming support for suspending all air traffic to and from the affected countries is clear for all to see. I suppose this will happen once it's all too late and it starts to manifest over here.

Edited by CreweCold

Why is the govt has to send troops to Sierra Leone? Don't blame Ebola if they got infected.

Troop movements are the best way of spreading the disease as history shows us. We don't seem capable of learning from our mistakes.

I've read that just one virion of the ebola strain is enough to infect someone. Frightening just how infectious this is. Put it this way, if it becomes an issue here I won't be turning into my customer facing job and I'll be staying at home until it has passed. My housemate already made a comment yesterday that we should perhaps start getting a few tinned items/bottled water in just incase.....Sounds OTT but it's always best to be prepared!

Reading around various sources, the overwhelming support for suspending all air traffic to and from the affected countries is clear for all to see. I suppose this will happen once it's all too late and it starts to manifest over here.

Getting towards that stage isn't it.

If it gets to that stage I think we are all going to suffer in one way or another, not there yet though.

its mental. however good the intentions are..its gonna end in doom.. :crazy:

how many troops are we sending out ?..a few hundred ?. I cannot recall just now, then after a while a few them might be ill and be flown back to Britain..and its just a one way ticket to a global pandemic..

lets all fly infected people to the usa, spain. uk, at great expense, that way we can try to kill the local population and spread the virus even more.. :crazy: yep, that's a lovely plan governments.

Edited by chubbyfan

Ebola outbreak: UK sending 750 troops to Sierra Leone

The UK is sending 750 military personnel to Sierra Leone to help deal with the deadly Ebola outbreak, Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond has confirmed.

The UK will also send medical ship the RFA Argus and three helicopters. The personnel will be deployed next week.

It comes as Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said it was "now entirely possible that someone with Ebola will come to the UK either by one route or another".

The latest figures show 3,879 people have died in the West African epidemic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29542129

Bleak times ahead for the world - UK is right in the mix. 50/50 odds of a case by October 24th, so I've read! I knew from the start, it would all go boom action is being taken now, but it's a little too late. To eradicate the threat of Ebola - I dread to think what would happen if it took hold in Central London.

Does anybody know how this outbreak started? Was it from eating an infected animal? :unknw:

Edited by lassie23

Does anybody know how this outbreak started? Was it from eating an infected animal? :unknw:

Believed to be fruit bats, a west African delicacy.

Believed to be fruit bats, a west African delicacy.

Thanks Nick!

Just wondering how they going to do the screening safely at airports.

Ideally the staff doing the screening should be totally isolated from the people they are interviewing.

I guess the same way hey screened for swine flu with those laser temperature sensors.

I think realistically we should expect some sporadic cases here and perhaps even a few deaths, but I think our healthcare should e good enough to deal with an outbreak.

http://news.sky.com/story/1350325/uk-man-dies-from-ebola-in-macedonia-reports

The Foreign Office is investigating reports that a British man has died from ebola in Macedonia.

A second Briton has shown symptoms of the deadly virus, a senior Macedonian government official told Reuters.

Sky News Newsdesk â€@SkyNewsBreak  51s

French media reporting 60 people have been quarantined north of #Paris after four people showed symptoms of the #Ebola virus

Hmm seems to be Europe is now awaking to the threat

Edited by lfcdude

we are all screwed..i know it.

ebola has a potential 3 week incubation period..screening for "people with a fever/temperature" at airports will achieve nothing at all, the bloke that flew into dallas was fine when he arrived in usa..later he started feeling ill, now he is dead.

screening will do nothing at all to stop ebola. :crazy: its just a cheap publicity stunt to help convince the thicko masses that something is being done. yep..it's a shambles

Does someone literally have to bleed or throw up right next to you, for you to get Ebola! How many strains are there? Here is a worrying extract from an article I read!

"Yet some scientists who have long studied Ebola say such assurances are premature — and they are concerned about what is not known about the strain now on the loose. It is an Ebola outbreak like none seen before, jumping from the bush to urban areas, giving the virus more opportunities to evolve as it passes through multiple human hosts.

Dr. C.J. Peters, who battled a 1989 outbreak of the virus among research monkeys housed in Virginia and who later led the CDC's most far-reaching study of Ebola's transmissibility in humans, said he would not rule out the possibility that it spreads through the air in tight quarters.

"We just don't have the data to exclude it," said Peters, who continues to research viral diseases at the University of Texas in Galveston."

Edited by lassie23

Time to stop all none essential travel perhaps?

Time to stop all none essential travel perhaps?

I think that may eventually happen!

If it does spread by air, I would imagine this would be by sneezing or vomit particles getting into the system in tight quarters, then being actually airborne.

http://news.sky.com/story/1350325/uk-man-dies-from-ebola-in-macedonia-reports

The Foreign Office is investigating reports that a British man has died from ebola in Macedonia.

A second Briton has shown symptoms of the deadly virus, a senior Macedonian government official told Reuters.

Sky News Newsdesk â€@SkyNewsBreak  51s

French media reporting 60 people have been quarantined north of #Paris after four people showed symptoms of the #Ebola virus

Hmm seems to be Europe is now awaking to the threat

Too late: if its in Paris its probably in London............

If it does spread by air, I would imagine this would be by sneezing or vomit particles getting into the system in tight quarters, then being actually airborne.

It doesn't spread by air *rolleyes*

Calm down folks! it will reach western Europe but in ghetto-ised communities. Like SARS and H1N1 it will take a natural course. It is a panic inducing illness because of the reporting primarily, but also the pathology. How many of you got flu last year? Far more contagious and dangerous...

Edited by Spikecollie

I didn't say it did. Hence why I used the word 'if' because it was being speculated that it could spread by air.

Edited by Lauren

IF only people would stop talking ****

Sky news reporting a Briton who died in Macedonia had not been to an Ebola stricken country. He had travelled straight from the UK to Macedonia. Worrying!

Droplets can become airborne due to being expelled at pressure - think the nature of the symptoms! - this then leads to fomite transmission. Rigorous hand hygiene and avoiding touching ones face are the best way of avoiding such contamination.