Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion 12z 21/7/14 ------>

A.J

Posted

Nothing electrical but seen a lot convective showers, some with tower and anvils through the day. Not sure how to describe it but the cloud at the edge/top of the showers seems to have been particularly fluffy today, a sort of white fuzzy fluff, rather than a smooth bubbly looking tower/anvil. Is it the stronger wind that causes this?

That Bristol channel streamer has been going at varying intensities for over 24hrs now. If it were winter they'd have lot of snow over there by now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

What a weekend it has been for storm fans,here's a few lightning stills from the storms we had from friday-sun

post-16960-0-05578100-1407835653_thumb.ppost-16960-0-26222800-1407835686_thumb.p

post-16960-0-85907100-1407835717_thumb.p

post-16960-0-06482000-1407835763_thumb.ppost-16960-0-41995700-1407835849_thumb.ppost-16960-0-64910700-1407835866_thumb.ppost-16960-0-82692600-1407835901_thumb.ppost-16960-0-55957100-1407835912_thumb.p

post-16960-0-64861200-1407836104_thumb.ppost-16960-0-60517200-1407836120_thumb.p

post-16960-0-09580500-1407836165_thumb.ppost-16960-0-96733600-1407836178_thumb.p

ex bertha will surely be remembered.

• Like 7

Posted

A good day for showery skies and CB's here yesterday, although not much from before 3 to 9pm. Had one brief very heavy shower, several torrential showers went just to the north as per usual this summer, or if not a couple went to the south.

A couple relatively distant rumbles to the NNW, brings this years thunder or lightning seen days to 14 which is reasonable but most have been things like today, only a few decent events i.e storms overhead, and missed a couple of them.

When I looked yesterday evening Denmark/far north Germany was getting a load of good looking night time storms coming off the North Sea, generated by the warm SST's that way, and that area still is now 12 hours later!  Shame that can't happen here. Decent CAPE levels generated around the Baltic forecast for the next week or so too.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

What a weekend it has been for storm fans,here's a few lightning stills from the storms we had from friday-sun

ex bertha will surely be remembered.

Ex Bertha wont be remembered here in Tyne & Wear. A bit breezy and wet for August for sure but nothing outstanding. :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I'm not quite sure how to word this question but here goes.Are there certain parts of a Cb cloud that is more likely to produce lightning than others.? I have often witnessed storms where the strikes seem to come from the same area within a cloud or am I imagining this.?

From experience of storm chasing in the USA, the updraft area of a storm tends to produce most of the cloud-to-ground strikes, particularly with new updrafts and where rain shafts are forming. Though obviously c-to-g lightning can occur anywhere in the storm, even when where you aren't directly underneath it when they come out of the overspreading anvil. IC lightning can occur anywhere in the storm.

Anyway, storm forecast issued for today, storms perhaps not so numerous or widespread as yesterday, but should be some good clean convective cloudscapes:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Edited by Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

This year I have had 11 days with thunder heard, which is by far and away the record in the last 10 years. Shows how bad things have been around here though, if 14 days is only reasonable in other places.

Posted

Slight risk of thudnerstorms today many in Wales but perhaps stretching into the Midlands.

Steeping laspe rates across Wales and midlands as a thin weak band of vorticity approaches.

post-2809-0-51673600-1407839435_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-02004600-1407839445_thumb.pn

Vortiity shows up on lightning wizard charts as follows.

post-2809-0-66124500-1407839617_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-21378000-1407839634_thumb.pn

Upper level charts show a small area of divergence aloft, although winds are weak.

post-2809-0-69529000-1407839704_thumb.pn

Some slight turning of the winds through the atmosphere.

post-2809-0-34606800-1407839826_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-75419500-1407839844_thumb.pn

Instability looks very limited, most likely by the weak temperatures today.

post-2809-0-43679600-1407839929_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-65574300-1407839939_thumb.pn

Overall I think the following areas late afternoon have some potential.

post-2809-0-67313400-1407840186_thumb.pnpost-2809-0-81212100-1407840236_thumb.pn

Blustery perhaps thundery showers most likely.  Limitations for severe weather are higher cloud bases, weak instability, not very high cloud tops.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm not quite sure how to word this question but here goes.Are there certain parts of a Cb cloud that is more likely to produce lightning than others.? I have often witnessed storms where the strikes seem to come from the same area within a cloud or am I imagining this.?

Lightning is a result of different size ice particles within a cloud. With a strong updraft then smaller ice particles are lifted high up while larger ice particles will tend to bounce around in the bottom layers of the cloud until they are heavy enough to fall. As these two ice particles pass each other and water droplets clash with them then they tend to have different electrical properties. Causing the top region of the cloud to accumulate a positive charge while the lower level accumulates a negative charge.

Depending on the freezing level within the cloud then lightning will tend to form from different heights in the cloud. The higher the freezing point the less cloud to ground lightning will form. The stronger the updraft then more large hail particles will be in the lower part of the cloud. Outflow dominant parts of a storm will tend to loose charge from the bottom of the cloud as hail and rain falls, so here you might expect more cloud to cloud lightning.

So for any particular storm it depends on the freezing level (Higher up means less cloud to ground lightning as it might have to travel further) and the strength of the updraft at various points (updrafts will tend to increase the charge) and the right conditions for lightning are likely to form in the same part of the storm.

Not sure whether that answers your question but you might expect lightning from the same parts of the storm.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Hey just a quick one - I am working on an app idea where there is a map of the UK and anyone who wants to can mark potential thunderstorm risk for the following day. You can then submit this and it will give you an image based on everyone's input - darker areas should be the areas more likely to see thunder (though this depends on the accuracy of the inputted maps).

It's actually a good way for me to try out some code I was working on anyway but might prove an additional source of data for storm chasers.

What do people think?

You can be as honest as you like - I've only spent a couple of hours on it so if it doesn't work I'm not too worried!

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

From experience of storm chasing in the USA, the updraft area of a storm tends to produce most of the cloud-to-ground strikes, particularly with new updrafts and where rain shafts are forming. Though obviously c-to-g lightning can occur anywhere in the storm, even when where you aren't directly underneath it when they come out of the overspreading anvil. IC lightning can occur anywhere in the storm.

Anyway, storm forecast issued for today, storms perhaps not so numerous or widespread as yesterday, but should be some good clean convective cloudscapes:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Yes Nick my obsessive viewing of the radar/ sferics this Summer is proving that to be the case, the leading cell tending be the liveliest for lightning returns, as the ones behind weaken.

Posted

Re thunder heard days:

11 so far here this year which is remarkable and equals my local record of 11 in 2006 (whole year). As remarkable is that there has been thunder heard in every month so far! 

A full yearly breakdown for this location:

2006 11 (July 3)
2007 6 (32mm in one hour thunderstorm June)
2008 8 (May 4 out of 5 day run)
2009 6 (June 3)
2010 5
2011 2
2012 3
2013 4

Total 45 days over 8 years = 5.6 days/ annum mean
Ties  in quite well with MO map which has us in the 6 - 8 day zone

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/6190_1km/Thunder_Average_1961-1990_17.gif

Reviewing  my thunder records kept in Coventry from 1975 to 1984:

Mean thunder days annually 14.4

Most thunder days in a year 25 in 1983

Least in a year 8 days 1977

Most in a month 11 days in June 1982

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted

Sferics close to the Malverns

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Some sharp showers begining to come in to our area atm

Hopefully giving us at least some `bows like yesterdays spectacular showing

post-12214-0-19120100-1407853805_thumb.p

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Hey just a quick one - I am working on an app idea where there is a map of the UK and anyone who wants to can mark potential thunderstorm risk for the following day. You can then submit this and it will give you an image based on everyone's input - darker areas should be the areas more likely to see thunder (though this depends on the accuracy of the inputted maps).

It's actually a good way for me to try out some code I was working on anyway but might prove an additional source of data for storm chasers.

What do people think?

You can be as honest as you like - I've only spent a couple of hours on it so if it doesn't work I'm not too worried!

What would stop people randomly posting incorrect risk and thus messing with the overall map?

Posted

Thunder heard in Brum

• Like 2

Posted

What would stop people randomly posting incorrect risk and thus messing with the overall map?

this was my thinking, a very good idea, however there would likely be a lot of bias to peoples back yard, i like the idea of it however and think it would be something to develop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Thunderstorm just to my south currently but giving some nice booms of thunder. Had some rain too. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Huge storm to my east. Always east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

That storm is creating a jet black sky against the sun. Seemed to be a visible hail core too.

• Like 1

Posted

yep hailcore visible in Brum

Edit Cheers Blue...all of the lightning seemed to snook to the S of view

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

yep hailcore visible in BrumEdit Cheers Blue...all of the lightning seemed to snook to the S of view

Watching it right now. :) Works good on MX player.
  • Like 1