Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Storm & Convective Discussion 12z 21/7/14 ------>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Some of our showers today here on west Mendip have fired up very quickly ,iv been looking at clusters of showers showing on radar and they seem to be decaying on the radar then firing up again after a bout 30 min or so .but certainly a good day for out in the Garden although a bit breezy ,did see the odd flash of lightning during the early hours but seemed to be way off ,some very angry clouds could be seen with the light of the moon and with the local tawny Owls in song all it needed was a wolf to start howling in the distance and a crack of thunder and i would have been over the moon ,oh well one can wish ,cheers gang .

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 1.5k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Shower to my north west now. It's really intensified in the last few moments and gone very dark towards north west London. Two CG's and one rumble of thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Shower to my north west now. It's really intensified in the last few moments and gone very dark towards north west London. Two CG's and one rumble of thunder.

It produced very little rain, lots of thunder though, but the main part of the storm headed SE! Had no lightning!

Edited by lassie23
    Posted

As much as I love thunderstorms thank Christ that was not overhead! Constant thunder and lightning seemed to be way over the north sosomewhere rumbling in distance.

Edited by Chloe
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Gone very dark here again now - very low ragged purple cloud base coming over.

Edited by poseidon
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Reports of crazy rain, hail and T&L in West London.

• Like 1
    Posted

No rain yet here but my mother who is currently in the city is experiencing torrents of rain, lashing the streets. I think there is some rotation in the mass of cloud I'm not totally sure...

Posted

Reports of crazy rain, hail and T&L in West London.

I got the edge of it which produced very little rain, but lot's of thunder! I can imagine those taking a direct hit are experiencing quite a storm!

Posted

Is it possible to have thunder without lightning or vice versa?  i thought the sound was created by the lightning?  Yet I'm always reading things like "Lots of Thunder but no lightning?

Posted

Think I am going to be too south for it to hit us direct. Seems it is hitting central London head on from the radar.

Posted

Is it possible to have thunder without lightning or vice versa?  i thought the sound was created by the lightning?  Yet I'm always reading things like "Lots of Thunder but no lightning?

Maybe there was lightning and i just didn't see it! :unknw: As Lauren said!

Think I am going to be too south for it to hit us direct. Seems it is hitting central London head on from the radar.

That's where the storm went then, it might just clip Kent!

Edited by lassie23
    Posted

Thunder IS the sound of lightning, so it's impossible to have one without the other. However, the lightning is not always visible due to distance or being hidden in clouds etc. and this is what people mean when they say 'thunder but no lightning'.

• Like 2
    Posted

Looks to be taking a turn to the NE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: RACY, Extratropical Storm, Barocyclonic Leaf

Straightline wind related:

Rescue operation underway after 80 sailing dinghies hit by stormy weather in Strangford Lough, Northern Ireland; up to 100 people in water - via @AmandaFBelfast

97 in water, 67 rescued. 6 with minor injuries en route to Ulster Hospital.

Posted

Yup unfortunately the core of the storm steered at at 45 degree angle. :(Just as it was coming ever so close, blimey the rain was intense but compared to what I could have got it seems trivial, lots of thunder associated with that beast. Very localised these things are.
    Posted

Cb overhead is covered in mammutus

Posted

Line of showers running from the Mersey to the Humber.Caught under it at the moment.Torrential rain and hail

Still under that shower line. Drenching here and yet a couple of miles either side, sunshine and blue skies.
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

Fairly lively thunderstorm with some very close lightning strikes here in Horsham. About 5-10 minutes of monsoon style rain and hail.

Posted

Was out on the Lake District fells today. Got caught in a heavy blustery shower, albeit only heard one loud rumble of thunder. Regardless, got drenched.

Edited by PersianPaladin
    Posted

The large mammatus covered cb that is still passing me now has gone electrified further East - I can hear the rumbles outside. Radar is showing fairly lively rain now.

Edited by poseidon
    Posted

large towers and anvils to my south east  ,dark bases,    looking at them you would be convinced they are of thundery nature,   but it seems they are not ,  looks like thundery stuff does not like the north west,   meanwhile in the usual places...... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Just reported a shower going elecrtrified over Solihull on the Midlands thread. 

It has passed me but I can now hear constant thunder from it.... 

People further East North Coventry and Rugby and further on  could be in for a big storm!!!!

Thunder has not stopped  in last 5mins.

MIA

Posted

If you see rings around an anvil is that indicative of some rotation or just some cloud effect?