Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion 12z 21/7/14 ------>

A.J

Posted

Weve just had lightening

shame I decided to go to bed at 1015 last night, i normally only go about 1145, I would have seen this little show from my west facing window if I had stayed up ,  damn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

That T-storm of the coast of Norfolk is quite impressive.

Posted

ah well missed last night, but this was much better from a couple of weeks ago, very frequent lightning and I was awake to see it, well it woke me up lol

*not my vid*  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Can see an anvil to my East. Not sure of the location though. Could be off the coast I guess.

Small cell North of Kent is also producing a smidge of electrical activity.

Edited by poseidon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

wow that was incredible!

I just got back from a great chase, at times a little scary! Experienced wind gusts, a forming gust front ahead of us, penny sized hail (biggest hail) and torrential rain. Could be the best storm of the year so far!

I have pictures and a bit of video and will get them on tomorrow on my day off. Can still see the cell from Norwich in the red sunset sky.

Ended up in Great Yarmouth watching it head away from the coast.

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

wow that was incredible! I just got back from a great chase, at times a little scary! Experienced wind gusts, a forming gust front ahead of us, penny sized hail (biggest hail) and torrential rain. Could be the best storm of the year so far! I have pictures and a bit of video and will get them on tomorrow on my day off. Can still see the cell from Norwich in the red sunset sky.   Ended up in Great Yarmouth watching it head away from the coast.

Sounds awesome! Looked great on radar :-)
  • Like 1

Posted

Sounds awesome! Looked great on radar :-)

It was amazing how it looked like another smaller cell which we got hit by its precip with hail came and joined the larger cell we were chasing on the southwest side. The smaller cell came up from the South and we got sandwiched :-)Im going to post a detailed account with pictures tomorrow I think its well worth it! Edited by Greenday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning

I'm a bit late posting these now, but here are photos of storms that passed here recently.

3rd of August,

Cb with anvil plume fanning out

post-20640-0-75013500-1407363679_thumb.j

post-20640-0-13505500-1407363730_thumb.j

post-20640-0-96665200-1407363774_thumb.j

Just 15 minutes later, thunder rumbling once per minute or more...

post-20640-0-98433600-1407363831_thumb.j

And another storm from earlier today,

post-20640-0-15266500-1407363903_thumb.j

post-20640-0-06731600-1407363937_thumb.j

post-20640-0-09628500-1407363968_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

wow that was incredible!

I just got back from a great chase, at times a little scary! Experienced wind gusts, a forming gust front ahead of us, penny sized hail (biggest hail) and torrential rain. Could be the best storm of the year so far!

I have pictures and a bit of video and will get them on tomorrow on my day off. Can still see the cell from Norwich in the red sunset sky.

Good thing I moved away, I was really a bad charm for storms in that part of the world :p

Luckily the area I live in now has not been affected and have seen many great thunderstorms this year.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted

Good thing I moved away, I was really a bad charm for storms in that part of the world :p

Luckily the area I live in now has not been affected and have seen many great thunderstorms this year.

I can't say that Norfolk hasn't seen some good storms over the years. When was it you moved? Spread over a few years I've seen a couple of corkers. However sometimes you have to chase to see them cause if I didn't today I would not have witnessed how good it was.

• Like 1

Posted

Is Bertha gonna be particularly electrically active?

I know hurricanes list thunderstorms as one of the key ingredients if you look on the back of the packet, but this being an ex-hurricane, is it likely it's gonna throw a few good convective storms our way?

All I've heard so far is there will be wind and rain (albeit lots of both...)

Posted

Its looking surprisingly convective outside. Cap is definitely broken. NMM 6 is showing potential heading into the southeast for the afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I just had very heavy rain and bit of hail here. Just cleared up right now. I'm pretty sure could be thunderstorms this afternoon/evening.

Posted

Actually there is a warning being put out for NW England for Thunderstorms tomorrow:

YELLOW WARNING of RAIN

This warning is in force for northwest England and parts of the Midlands.

A warm, unstable airmass will affect the area leading to heavy, slow-moving showers and a risk of hail and thunderstorms.

Rainfall totals of 20-30mm are likely locally, but could exceed 50mm.

The public should be aware of the risk of localised flooding.

Valid on Friday from 1000 until 2000.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting. :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167

Edited by pip22

Posted

Actually there is a warning being put out for NW England for Thunderstorms tomorrow: YELLOW WARNING of RAINThis warning is in force for northwest England and parts of the Midlands.A warm, unstable airmass will affect the area leading to heavy, slow-moving showers and a risk of hail and thunderstorms.Rainfall totals of 20-30mm are likely locally, but could exceed 50mm.The public should be aware of the risk of localised flooding.Valid on Friday from 1000 until 2000. Tomorrow is going to be interesting. :) http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2635167

I spotted that, just popped up on my phone. Quite surprised really. Will see what happens :)
  • Like 1

Posted

Its looking surprisingly convective outside. Cap is definitely broken. NMM 6 is showing potential heading into the southeast for the afternoon.

I had a feeling today might have potential just because of the number of times I've heard 'very quiet day' said or written in the forecasts ;-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Big clouds going up, one especially towards thanet

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en

There's definitely plenty of thunderstorms around Europe today, still had the window open and accidently clicked the tab to see many colours :D

A quite similar look today with cumulus around, yesterday the cloud bases were high before the storm arrived, There's more cloud cover here today than there was yesterday though. Hopefully someone will see an organised storm, chase it, get a new experience and show us all how good it was  :clapping:

Edit: Things firing already! Hopefully some will fire further inland though, they are currently tracking East towards the sea.

post-7331-0-49308500-1407413983_thumb.jp

Edited by Greenday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en

There's definitely plenty of thunderstorms around Europe today, still had the window open and accidently clicked the tab to see many colours :D

A quite similar look today with cumulus around, yesterday the cloud bases were high before the storm arrived, There's more cloud cover here today than there was yesterday though. Hopefully someone will see an organised storm, chase it, get a new experience and show us all how good it was  :clapping:

Edit: Things firing already! Hopefully some will fire further inland though, they are currently tracking East towards the sea.

Things definitely look rather threatening, G.

Posted

Looks like another chase is on I'm heading to Bungay!

Edit: I was in the middle of sorting the pics from yesterday too!

Edited by Greenday

Posted

I had to prep for the chase but it looks as though I don't need to go anywhere its building above my head pretty much. Can see small clouds being pulled up into the base lol

Posted

wow that was incredible!

What???? KL is missing all the storms this year.

I saw this one build up right outside my window, then float off. Did absolutley nothing here.

Edited by TracyS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

So we're supposed to have rain all afternoon and erm.....well it's boiling hot and dry. On the plus side, should be able to catch some rays when I get in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

So we're supposed to have rain all afternoon and erm.....well it's boiling hot and dry. On the plus side, should be able to catch some rays when I get in.

It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow in the south east!