Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion 12z 21/7/14 ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Its firing over Notts as suspected

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

CAPE not showing that high for Nottingham area. Im surprised although is the strong convergence a factor for it with the steepened low to mid level lapse rates?

post-7331-0-76130100-1408714227_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Just had a severe shower here... that's if you're a tiny insect that is.  :crazy:

For a person, it was only a very light, brief, tiny, wimpy, shower that barely wet the ground, although there were a few odd giant raindrops mixed in. 

Posted

Posted

I got to say bit of a odd post I know but I realise now how localised showers can be. Travelled most of the way home from tesco today in a taxi with the shopping. Virtually all the way it rained (due to a shower) but as soon as the car reached the housing estate? the ground was bone dry. Fascinating I admit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

At least one sferic detected. Very localised stuff mind.

Had a very torrential shower near to Burton on Trent around 1:30pm, most likely this same shower. Lasted around 20 minutes. 

Posted

Hi@ all

Had some business to do in Essex yesterday and it was evening when I was returning home via the Dartford bridge. At that time some forcing occurred and showers were popping up everywhere. Sometimes a traffic jam on the Bridge can have its positive aspects, the view was quite spectacular :good:

Unfortunately they were quite high based and low topped, so no T&L but did get a bucketing though near the Gatwick turnoff on the M25.

Would have liked to post one or two charts explaining why that was so yesterday but the netweather server just doesnt seem to accept uploads from me, strange, but maybe its because Im just too daft or that Im a Kraut :p

Next couple of days looking bleak, we need some more sustained warm weather to kick off some decent convection, hope next week pans out (although the different models have outputs which almost contradict each other) Lets wait and see.

Cheers

Ralph

Edited by Generalelectrix
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days
Generalelectrix, on 23 Aug 2014 - 11:28, said:

Hi@ all

Had some business to do in Essex yesterday and it was evening when I was returning home via the Dartford bridge. At that time some forcing occurred and showers were popping up everywhere. Sometimes a traffic jam on the Bridge can have its positive aspects, the view was quite spectacular :good:

Unfortunately they were quite high based and low topped, so no T&L but did get a bucketing though near the Gatwick turnoff on the M25.

Would have liked to post one or two charts explaining why that was so yesterday but the netweather server just doesnt seem to accept uploads from me, strange, but maybe its because Im just too daft or that Im a Kraut :p

Next couple of days looking bleak, we need some more sustained warm weather to kick off some decent convection, hope next week pans out (although the different models have outputs which almost contradict each other) Lets wait and see.

Cheers

Ralph

Had a "nearly" thunderstorm cell here yesterday. Very low, very dark cloud base with a long swirling well defined gust front. Behind was that weird coloured sky that you sometimes get with a thunderstorm. Rained for a while with some gusty wind but no sferics in the end. It did produce plenty of lightning when it hit the North Sea though..

Posted

Quote Poseidon: "

Had a "nearly" thunderstorm cell here yesterday. Very low, very dark cloud base with a long swirling well defined gust front. Behind was that weird coloured sky that you sometimes get with a thunderstorm. Rained for a while with some gusty wind but no sferics in the end. It did produce plenty of lightning when it hit the North Sea though.."

Jep, observed that one near Rayleigh yesterday evening. You could literally see the cloud base lower and the convection grow deeper as the cell started to draw in moist warm air from the North Sea. (The water is quite warm right now) Impressive it was. The cool gusts was the cold wind in the upper layers getting mixed down to ground level under the convection..

Ralph

• Like 1

Posted

Some very heavy showers here in the Tyne&Wear region, with some flashes of lightning thrown in for good measure.

EDIT - Lagging upper trough to the east and lower-level wind convergence is keeping these showers going with further low-topped CB's going up. Very spring-like convective activity really.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Some interesting shower cells developing just off the coast of NE England earlier this morning. Most likely developing in conditions where the SST's are warmer than the air temperatures and thus generating initial lift (albeit most likely providing minimal contribution at this time of year), with sufficiently light winds not far off the coast and a wind-convergence zone powering the showers for a time, and then fading away. 

Posted Image

EDIT - Some isolated heavy showers could develop in the NE this early afternoon albeit the window for this will be brief. No showers have been forecast by the METO.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

At least one sferic detected. Very localised stuff mind.

I counted 3 :)

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

ESTOFEX have issued a level 1 for tornado possibilities around southern Uk.

post-5386-0-41089700-1409041044_thumb.pn

http://www.estofex.org/

Over UK, there is very weak LL shear forecast in the afternoon hours but a weak background flow should support some spout-type tornadoes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Hello, I'm back! Well, today does look interesting, especially later this afternoon. It looks like there will be an incredibly slack air flow sat over or just to the N of me today and with a bit of instability, sunshine and warmth, things could go bang later, hopefully some heavy showers but maybe some thunder in these. Charts show the worst of the showers sat just to the N but who knows. It's something to watch, definitely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Hello, I'm back! Well, today does look interesting, especially later this afternoon. It looks like there will be an incredibly slack air flow sat over or just to the N of me today and with a bit of instability, sunshine and warmth, things could go bang later, hopefully some heavy showers but maybe some thunder in these. Charts show the worst of the showers sat just to the N but who knows. It's something to watch, definitely.

Best of the action will be Bournemouth and East- mainly slow moving rain showers.

Posted

Hi William, im on holiday in Dorset near Weymouth at the moment, I noticed on GFS last night a decent wind convergence over Southern England so a decent trigger should be in place on top of any surface heating. Nice blue sky here currently.