Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion 12z 21/7/14 ------>

A.J

Posted

Certainly! I remember on the evening of 25 January 2013, Manchester actually got thundersnow. There was a huge flash of light followed by a very deep rumble. I'd love to see it again!

Early February 2013, Monday night?Heavy shower of rain and hail turned to snow and there was thunder and lightning with it.

Posted

Early in 2004, January I think, we had heavy snow up in Helmsley, North Yorkshire. I phoned my husband to suggest he come back home early. That afternoon there were a few claps of thunder, making the snow fall even heavier. Unfortunately it was also the day my husband's boss (my previous boss) was killed in an accident due to the weather.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

That's not the same photo, check out the tail fin, more of Ryanairs symbol (the harp) can be seen on one compared to the other and Ryanair have over 300 737,s  and they all look the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well, it looked like the end of the world sort of this evening (central Leic) looking north, undulating cloud base, very dark, but then nowt again....So, you expert netweatherers out there, what was missing today? What trigger ingredient was absent??

Instability was lacking yesterday across our area. There was some instability in the SE but there was never going to be storms over the Midlands.

Posted

sunday and monday going to be fun earlier for poor scotland who could do without this due to hammering they got from Bertha.   Just looked lightening wizard they predict 30 to 40 kts convective from this storm this going down the east coast right over here.   The worst of the rain looks to be in the tail if I have predicted right.  I wonder if the predicted winds met calling 50-60 mph bang on or little on small side considering risks convection.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

We've had thundersnow quite a bit here. Apparently the river helps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

I remember a clip on the BBC news from winter 2010,when a couple are being interviewed in a raging blizzard about the depth of the snow.Out of nowhere came this almighty flash and crack of thunder,to which the reporter said " well I never would have expected that!"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Let's try and steer this back to the current convective outlook please folks, feel free to start a thread on thundersnow though :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

That's not the same photo, check out the tail fin, more of Ryanairs symbol (the harp) can be seen on one compared to the other and Ryanair have over 300 737,s and they all look the same.

It is the same photo. Everything is exactly the same- angles etc. Just overlay it using some software and you'll see. The tail fin can be easily tinkered with in Photoshop.Edit: Someone who commented on the fake also reported no radar returns around the airport at the time that photo was taken.ITV have pulled it from their site. :) Edited by Mapantz

Quick question....When a lightning rod/conductor gets a hit, does it then require any maintenance? Also, what are they connected to underground? Anything or nothing and do they go deep?

generally not as long as you don't get leakage ,usual set up is rod ,strap and ground rod set about 1metre in ground to earth at a safe distance from ground utility's ......
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

A decent squall line now showing up along the spine of Southern England right now, stretching from the SW right up to central parts of Norfolk. No T&L detected along it but I suspect a fair bit of wind and rain in just a few minutes.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: calm and cold (im brontophobic)

Does it not have to have t and let for it to be classes as a squall line then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Does it not have to have t and let for it to be classes as a squall line then?

Good question, not sure. You often hear them described in media circles as active fronts associated with squally winds, rain and hail, which in my case was just a bit of rain and not a lot else to be fair. There's always next time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

A decent squall line now showing up along the spine of Southern England right now, stretching from the SW right up to central parts of Norfolk. No T&L detected along it but I suspect a fair bit of wind and rain in just a few minutes.

I noticed earlier that theta e is at a reasonable value of 23 heading south with a drop of value behind it. Running across like the squally line. Cape isn't very high and li is a positive value of 3 according to NMM. Convection will not be able to rise high enough for T & L I shouldn't think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

How exactly does bad weather cut off SKY signal?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

How exactly does bad weather cut off SKY signal?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it is called 'rain fade' Your dish will be able to receive signal in most wet conditions but if the rain fade is high due to high rain/snow rates, the microwaves get absorbed in to the precip and your dish won't receive them, so a loss of picture/sound occurs.

Posted

Extremely torrential showers rattling through here...last one had all the trees bending and my fence bowing...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Very windy today, again with some pretty impressive showers (and cloud structures) whizzing through. Nothing electrical either but an autumnal day for mid August and, I have to confess, it looks like Bertha last weekend has been the death knell for summer: the heat really has gone :-(