Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion 12z 21/7/14 ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Had a funnel cloud outside work in Loughborough today! Only a tiddler but you can see it between the cables :)

Posted Image

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Is that is for storms today?

I would be very grateful if someone could inform me I need to know whether to call it a day and go home or hang about for any more action...

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Chance of heavy showers across England and Wales today and a few thunderstorms developing towards the SE this afternoon, though not as numerous as yesterday, have a camera handy, as light winds aloft and surface wind convergence may mean funnel clouds or even weak tornadoes/waterspouts develop

Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I took a trip away from the eastern side ( although ESTOFEX had a level1for eastern UK) to visit relatives over in Whitehaven, a small sea-side town in Cumbria. Storm clouds were building very quickly as we skirted around the lake district, but left them behind as we approached the west coast. Uneventful in Whitehaven but it was sunny and warm.

We left around 6pm and as we drove inland the storm clouds came into view. I only observed one Cg but I'm sure there were more but being on the move they were difficult to see.

post-5386-0-63552400-1408097881_thumb.jp

Morning convection over the lake district.

post-5386-0-84456200-1408097894_thumb.jp post-5386-0-67495700-1408097902_thumb.jp post-5386-0-48109600-1408097910_thumb.jp post-5386-0-71045700-1408097918_thumb.jp post-5386-0-92513000-1408097935_thumb.jp post-5386-0-33446700-1408097947_thumb.jp

The journey back.

Edited by NL
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

So BBC and MetO have a weather warning out for heavy rain and flooding for me later today, but what weather symbol is showing? Sunny all afternoon!

Think I'll take my waterproof.

Posted

Yesterday provided some good instability, down in DOrset.

Here's the link to the article in the local paper

http://www.bournemou..._Dorset/?ref=mr

Yesterday afternoon we had rotation above the house around 16:15, after same shower produced a couple of small cones from the leading edge, suggesting things were possible

Fantastic shower just passed by here. Not great from a rain or electrical perspective (ie, nothing) but the rotation was epic! Was keeping my fingers crossed for my first funnel cloud but sadly not. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more funnel cloud pics today. Brilliant cloudscapes on offer :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Fantastic shower just passed by here. Not great from a rain or electrical perspective (ie, nothing) but the rotation was epic! Was keeping my fingers crossed for my first funnel cloud but sadly not. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more funnel cloud pics today. Brilliant cloudscapes on offer :)

Think I can see that shower to the north of me.Very spectacular dark black clouds,think they will move just to the east of me though.Been a pleasant day so far really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Fantastic picture!

Posted

Chance of heavy showers across England and Wales today and a few thunderstorms developing towards the SE this afternoon, though not as numerous as yesterday, have a camera handy, as light winds aloft and surface wind convergence may mean funnel clouds or even weak tornadoes/waterspouts develop

Posted Image Posted Image

Good call Nick! :-) that must feel good to see reports and pictures of what you predicted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A strange one today, nothing really got going. The MO even took their warning down well before the warning was due to expire.

Posted

Good call Nick! :-) that must feel good to see reports and pictures of what you predicted.

The funnel clouds were from yesterday Greenday, even the one behind the plane. :)

Posted

The funnel clouds were from yesterday Greenday, even the one behind the plane. :)

Im not listening :p

Posted

Posted

Well, it looked like the end of the world sort of this evening (central Leic) looking north, undulating cloud base, very dark, but then nowt again....

So, you expert netweatherers out there, what was missing today? What trigger ingredient was absent??

Edited by Speedway Slider

Posted

Winters on its way , thunder snow anyone :).......

thunder is rare here, 

snow is very rare here

thunder snow.... non existant, I think I can forget that one

• Like 1

Certainly! I remember on the evening of 25 January 2013, Manchester actually got thundersnow. There was a huge flash of light followed by a very deep rumble. I'd love to see it again!

in 1996 walking (the late ) dog in deep snow , all traffic stopped Thunder and lightning was amazing I won't forget it in a hurry !!...