Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion 12z 21/7/14 ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Had some great showers at work today in Honiton. The first shower came in late morning and it gave torrential rain (possibly the heaviest I've ever seen in my life), pea size hail and gusty winds. Also, there was another shower at around 13:15 that also gave torrential rain and gusty winds but there was no hail this time. However, there was no thunder in any of the showers.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Very loud thunder at work in Pboro earlier. Storm right overhead.

Posted

Here we go again this time coming from the west.think this one is coming in overhead close cg and very loud thunder.

Edited by Chloe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Looks like you have another batch coming behind that one too! West london is seeing some great intense cells today.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like you have another batch coming behind that one too! West london is seeing some great intense cells today.

this one is a tad too close!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Some more images today, very visible mammatus on the cells today. Storms were rattling up the east coast and I could see them from where I was located further inland, some lovely cloud structures. First cloud image is of a distant cell's mammatus around 1420. Other cells followed its path along the coast and finally at about 1630 a speedy and angry little cell came right overhead so I went after it! Sat underneath filming and managed to see a couple of flashes, including the one CG that is shown here, screen grab from video. As the cell passed, with a few sharp rumbles of thunder until it was in the distance, a huge diagonal line was across the sky with some very defined mammatus showing, as seen in the following images. Finally the cell retreated into the distance although mushroomed somewhat before starting to decay. Great show today, rather unexpected!

post-7276-0-21523700-1407777531_thumb.jp

post-7276-0-88419000-1407777574_thumb.jp

post-7276-0-15505300-1407777609_thumb.jp

post-7276-0-40325600-1407777624_thumb.jp

post-7276-0-08734200-1407777651_thumb.jp

post-7276-0-77516500-1407777665_thumb.jp

post-7276-0-29691200-1407777686_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I can hear distant thunder, but the storms are now missing my location! Very dark skies to the SE!

Posted

Here are some photos from earlier on, absolutely stunning to see :good: I need to bulldoze the houses! :crazy: don't tell the neighbours, in times like this I wish - I was on a open lush green field. The dip was rather interesting possible funnel? It didn't seem to make it. To think I was 1/2 a mile from the chunky stuff. Another shower has rattled through a good day... Of hail, thunder and intense rainfall.

post-19153-0-95953700-1407778472_thumb.jpost-19153-0-75627400-1407778511_thumb.jpost-19153-0-28706800-1407778548_thumb.jpost-19153-0-41263000-1407778581_thumb.jpost-19153-0-76974600-1407778618_thumb.jpost-19153-0-58731300-1407778660_thumb.jpost-19153-0-22396700-1407778702_thumb.jpost-19153-0-54424000-1407778736_thumb.j

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Watching  some amazing IC crawlers towards south London from my 10th floor office in west London (Hounslow).

Edited by Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Watching  some amazing IC crawlers towards south London from my 10th floor office in west London (Hounslow).

That be the Reigate area cell I think. Darn I considered following that on the way back from work

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

lovely looking storm towards Norwich earlier, greenday must be enjoying that one...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'm not quite sure how to word this question but here goes.

Are there certain parts of a Cb cloud that is more likely to produce lightning than others.? I have often witnessed storms where the strikes seem to come from the same area within a cloud or am I imagining this.?

Posted

While I am here thought I might see what folks think about this. It was a thundery cell (not really a storm!) over Marlow about two weeks ago. I had decided to record it as it passed over and recorded the audio as it did so then edited them together. 

First is the short version:

Long version:

I welcome thoughts on if this was indeed a funnel or an optical illusion with the inflow.

Edited by THE MISSFITS
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I'm not quite sure how to word this question but here goes.Are there certain parts of a Cb cloud that is more likely to produce lightning than others.? I have often witnessed storms where the strikes seem to come from the same area within a cloud or am I imagining this.?

I think its when its at its maturing stage when it produces the highest rate of strikes, this is when its turned into an anvil or in the process of doing so, as its the ice crystals rubbing together that lead to the build up of charge. Higher CAPE values will aid the potential for more strikes because a stronger updraft will cause more energy to build up. Thats what I think is the case anyway, I'm no proper expert just yet  :p

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted

Is any one north of here underneath a storm!? Im watching distant flashing high up but nothing on the atd

Edit, must be from the cell north of Manc, can just see the top of the storm flickering

Edited by ChezWeather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

lovely looking storm towards Norwich earlier, greenday must be enjoying that one...

Haha yes I did enjoy this, not so much to its full potential because I was restricted to where I could go plus I had a scare and needed to go to the NHS walkin centre this evening because of it. When it began to get interesting I got an excrutiating ache eminating from the righthand side of my neck then extending round to my head that put me out for a bit.

There was a little mini me cell complete with anvil that I first spotted as I got the pains. At first it looked intense until I got a better view of it. I could see convection looking pretty reasonable and the echo on radar coming from the east. I had to go to Dereham and missed a small cell pass over west of Norwich but the one behind it I didn't realise was going to intensify as much as it did. I did wait after work in the yard and watched it slowly get closer once I could see the base of it I started recording and got the front of what I could see come over, gust, pea size hail began then continued as heavy rain after the gusts became stronger until it started easing.

The surprise came after, I saw some white mammatus on the bottom of the anvil then when I got home after seeing some close white precipitation core close by which I didn't expect, there was constant rumbling even overlapping and some eary sounding thunder. I only saw 2 or 3 flashes and not much thunder when it first moved in so another surprise to see more frequent flashes, recorded it as it continued to rumble on. After about another 20 minutes a smaller cell behind (think it's a daughter cell) did give me a couple of flashes and rumbles to finish off with.

This year has been such a surprise for storms, expect the unexpected. Shame I couldn't chase this one.

I will post links of my videos when I get them uploaded..

The storm as it approached..

post-7331-0-71720800-1407791896_thumb.jp

post-7331-0-08858300-1407791897_thumb.jp

Edited by Greenday
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Can see lightning to my SE, after having some at work today :D nice