Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion 12z 21/7/14 ------>

A.J

Posted

Is it really worth chasing today? There will be some blustery showers around and some will be thundery but I can't see anything organised or extreme. BBC not even mentioning a risk of thunder in their forecasts.

As for the "super Cell" near Swindon. There have been 2 strikes in 30 mins within 50 miles of Swindon. Is that what we class as a "Supercell" these days :)

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

Got a feeling Im going to miss out on storms today.

Had a few heavy showers and there hasn't been hardly any wind.

Sun out now with grey sky to the north and blue sky to the south.

Can only hope something happens later.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Visibilty too poor and indistinct cloud structures I should think re chasing?

Got a feeling Im going to miss out on storms today.Had a few heavy showers and there hasn't been hardly any wind.Sun out now with grey sky to the north and blue sky to the south.Can only hope something happens later.

One recently passed just to your north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Think I may have just had a rumble of thunder, to my surprise.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Sure we just heard a rumble in Brum

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Sure we just heard a rumble in Brum

Yep. Thankfully that wasnt me going crazy then!

• Like 1

Posted

Is it really worth chasing today? There will be some blustery showers around and some will be thundery but I can't see anything organised or extreme. BBC not even mentioning a risk of thunder in their forecasts.As for the "super Cell" near Swindon. There have been 2 strikes in 30 mins within 50 miles of Swindon. Is that what we class as a "Supercell" these days :)

I thought a Supercell was defined by the presence of a rotating meso and other factors rather than the frequency of lightning:p

Just grey and bland here with poor visibility

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Ah great thanks, definitely no monies from it here. I always wonder if im being cheeky when I share someone's pictures. Im sure I would know about it if they didn't like it then I would simply take it down. Good publicity of a good photo can't be a bad thinh.

Sorry slightly off topic but just to say it would be nice if people could give credit or state where pics are from, if the knowledge is there. However everyone likes to say 'I shot that' if posting a super pic, they got it, they caught it, and take credit - so why not give credit to others pics too, when possible?

And now for some weather:

Fast moving storm moved through about 15 mins ago, only about three rumbles but the last big booming echo almost shook the ground, and was preceded by a big flash. Raining here now, but still feels warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

In the centre of Swindon now.... Torrential rain with plenty of thunder and lightning....very low cloud bases with fast motion

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sitting and waiting patiently in Derby after a thoroughly wet morning. I won't be chasing today so I will need a storm to come over Derby, maybe return the favor and come to me for a change :). If GFS is correct then the CAPE should be on the increase by now over the Midlands.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Big storm now...

Constant thunder and now large hail 5p to 20p in size!

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Had a nice view of the back of the squall line that went over me - a slate grey mass, but with white scud racing along it. But 5 mins later the cloud had slowed right down to a virtual stop. Quite weird.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

According to lightningmaps the T&L seems to be moving in a straight line from Swindon to the Thames Estuary.

Posted

Is it really worth chasing today? There will be some blustery showers around and some will be thundery but I can't see anything organised or extreme. BBC not even mentioning a risk of thunder in their forecasts.As for the "super Cell" near Swindon. There have been 2 strikes in 30 mins within 50 miles of Swindon. Is that what we class as a "Supercell" these days :)

the word supercell is a little annoying,  back in the 70 's and 80's, when we got proper long lasting thunderstorms even here  I might add , they where called  'thunderstorms'  and thats it,   the term seems to be used more now because of the growing popularity of storm chase vidoes in the states ,

Posted

That area looking rather active! Cricklade, Fairford, Lechlade just to the north definitely a hot-spot. Parts of Oxford next. Interesting returns on radar..

Yep had to pull over as visibility was very limited.... All moving east now....am going to stay here and await further showers west of here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looking at the general direction of things I suspect Derby is too far NW for any storm activity today. On the NMM model it looked this way but GFS has my area being affected, looks like this may be a victory for NMM. Sunshine poking through here now.

That cell between Swindon and Oxford very interesting looking though, a lot of lightning from it and some very intense precip returns on radar. Another intense cell NE of Chipping Norton. Looks like areas to the S/SE Midlands could have some fun and games in the next few hours.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted

Sferics near Doncaster, although i would have to agree with you Supacell and say that i think im too far West for any storms today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Liking the look of this storm formation, feels ever so tropical out there at the moment!

Let's hope this develops further, I could well be in the firing line for this!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Some activity too the east of us. Looking like we'll miss out altogether but may get the rain.

Posted

Yet again the Oxford/Swindon area seems to be the sweetspot. Seem to quite regularly be the place to be recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The line is intensifying over Lincolnshire, too far east! 

Keep an eye on the section tot he southwest of us. You never know,